How Much To Feed An 8 Week Old Pup?

Hi I have a 8 week old pup, and not sure if i'm giving him enough food. I'm feeding him three times daily with a handful of dry food, I'm a present changing him from complete Wagg to Pro Plan large puppy robust which the vet recommended, so i'm giving him half and half but the directions are unclear on how much i should give him. I would be grateful for any advice.

Hi I have a 8 week old pup, and not sure if i'm giving him enough food. I'm feeding him three times daily with a handful of dry food, I'm a present changing him from complete Wagg to Pro Plan large puppy robust which the vet recommended, so i'm giving him half and half but the directions are unclear on how much i should give him. I would be grateful for any advice.

Hi Nat, Welcome to the forum. I'm sure there is someone here who can help you with some advice :)

• 1 year later...

There isn't, imho, a hard and fast guideline about how much to feed.  Some adult dogs will thrive on 3 cups a day and others will gain weight on 1.5 (Sasha!)

The best suggestion that I could offer is to feed him a "reasonable" amount; something that helps him gain weight while not softening his feces.  The best guide that you fed him too much (allowed him to eat too much) is that his feces will become loose and sloppy - just cut back on the amount you're feeding.  As long as the stool remains firm and he's not getting fat then it's a safe bet he's not overeating.

If you've got him on a good quality food and he acts like he's not hungry, don't try switching foods - these guys figure out real quick that they can manipulate for better (read "human") food if they just don't eat. 

"I've never seen a healthy dog starve themselves to death sitting beside a bowl of dog food!"

when I got my boys, we had them on Burns kibble.

for a couple of weeks I went by what it said on the bag. When they went to the vets for a talk about "getting done"..."the chop" :) the vet said that both were under weight. after explaining I had only fed them what I was advised, she explained that every dog is different and the instructions on the back is just a guide.

My advices is the same as Al's. keep an eye on the look of your dog, and its poopies....

You've already got some sound advice here, just remember to keep the food changes gradually over a period of roughly a week.  Gradually decreasing the old kibble thereby increasing the new kibbles quantity.  Good luck and welcome to husky owners!  Have you done an introduction thread yet?   would love to see some pics! 

Edit:  Why have I only just noticed the date stamp on this thread?  Oh dear, not a  good sign.  :huh:

Edited by emma1979

hi nat new pup myself :) im doing 100g 3 times a day lastnite tho.he wasn't hungry at bedtime! How didu get on???

Not quite sure why this popped back up as an active tread ... but I'm with you :wtf:

Hope the original posters dog has been doing better ... sheesh ....

I think someone else wanted to know how they had solved the problem, and if they had succeeded lol

I didn't notice it either :D