I need advice on dry dog food...

Kishirian

Okay, for starters, I am trying to find food for our dogs that is better for them. They did well on Kirkland's Signature Adult (Chicken) and Puppy, but, after the last Diamond recall and my friend's wolf/husky mix getting salmonella from the non-recalled Puppy formula, I took them off of it. Here is what they are on now:

Blaze: almost 9 months old, last weight: 67 lbs, height: 2' at shoulders- Iams SmartPuppy Large Breed Formula

Comet: approx. 7 years old, last weight: 13.5 lbs, height: roughly 18" at shoulders- EverPet adult (I know...ewww..)

Here is what I am considering:

Blaze- Merrick Gourmet Entree Puppy Plate http://www.petco.com/product/113161/Merrick-Gourmet-Entree-Puppy-Plate-Dry-Puppy-Food.aspx

Note: The Gourmet Entree series has received a 4-star rating from dogfoodadvisor.com

Comet- Merrick Gourmet Entree Cowboy Cookout http://www.petco.com/product/113157/Merrick-Gourmet-Entree-Cowboy-Cookout-Dry-Dog-Food.aspx OR Merrick Gourmet Entree Wilderness http://www.petco.com/product/113160/Merrick-Gourmet-Entree-Wilderness-Blend-Dry-Dog-Food.aspx

The question is: Is the Puppy Plate formula good for Blaze, seeing as how he is abnormally large thanks to the Gravy Train and fried chicken he was given up until he was 6 months old, or should I stick with the Iams SmartPuppy Large Breed formula?

Any comments or advice on this would be much appreciated. I want to do what's best for the dogs for what I can afford, I thought I was doing that on Kirkland's, but I was wrong.

WEll, thats a great link for dog food with their star rating and such. Within the last few years, there have been recalls on almost every dog food brand, some brands, make others that are also name brands. I feed ours Taste of The Wild and they do fabulous on it.

WEll, thats a great link for dog food with their star rating and such. Within the last few years, there have been recalls on almost every dog food brand, some brands, make others that are also name brands. I feed ours Taste of The Wild and they do fabulous on it.

Careful with TOTW..Diamond's recalling it as well. I'm leaving Diamond forever. After a non-recalled brand of their food gave my friend's husky/wolf mix salmonella (even though it wasn't from the Gaston, SC plant) I'm afraid to go back. I fed my Blaze the same exact formula as my friend did, from the same exact pallet, bought at the same exact time. *shudders* It just hit a little TOO close to home...