13 month old female has just bitten my partner

Dazzlin

Need some advice urgently, my 13 month old female Akira today bit my partner and broke the skin.

My partner called me and told me that she was digging a hole next to the house when she went to pull her away after being told No (she understands what no means) by her collar she turned growled with hackles up and went for my partner braking the skin.

Now I'm very concerned as she's never been like this before she's the most loving dog i have ever had, the concern is that I have a 6 month old baby girl who I now will seperate from both my huskies.

Now I'm not sure what to do, Akira is an intact female and as far as I'm aware hasn't had a season yet, milo my male chopped dog for the last week has been trying to mount her I'm not sure if this could be a factor or if she is getting to that age where she's pushing for dominance, my partner has decided that she's giving her the benefit of the doubt this time, next time she may not be so lucky !!!

Any advice would be great as I don't want to have to be scared of her biting my little girl

Many thanks

Darren

It could be a combination of coming into season, and the warmer weather everyone has been having lately. She may also have thought there was something interesting in this hole, maybe there was small animal scent around, so she was hyped up by her prey drive. Dog's don't 'push for dominance' so don't worry about that ;) I would suggest trying some positive reinforcement using clicker training to reward her for letting you touch her neck, then touch her collar, then grab her collar. Practice that at every opportunity you have and then gradually start work on it in situations where she might have a negative reaction, like near this hole she was digging. Aim to make her comfortable being handled in any situation :)

most dogs dont like being grabbed by the collar.

I wouldnt think your baby was at risk, at 6 months old she wont be grabbing the dog oe anything will she.

Like steph said shes probably coming into season which can make them cranky, think woman with pms.

Thanks for the reply's my little girl is never left with the dogs, I'm more concerned that if the dogs are in the same room close to her I won't be quick enough to stop anything happening.

Not sure if it could have been anything in the garden other than a bird, Milo did catch one in the garden a few days ago but that was binned away from them ! My garden is surrounded my 6 foot walls cats don't venture in.

Next door has an intact staffy male and I'm wondering if it's her coming into season.

My vets behaviourist is on holiday too so I can't ask them

Agreed with above. You could liken it to being engrossed in something yourself an someone grabbing you from behind and startling you. As said, she could be coming into season, add to that she's had your other dog attempting to hump her recently and the hot weather. It's a combination of a lot of things that have caused her to act out of character.

She's still very young. Working on getting her more comfortable with having her collar grabbed in any situation is a sound suggestion

Thanks for the reply's my little girl is never left with the dogs, I'm more concerned that if the dogs are in the same room close to her I won't be quick enough to stop anything happening.

Not sure if it could have been anything in the garden other than a bird, Milo did catch one in the garden a few days ago but that was binned away from them ! My garden is surrounded my 6 foot walls cats don't venture in.

Next door has an intact staffy male and I'm wondering if it's her coming into season.

My vets behaviourist is on holiday too so I can't ask them

I wonder if shes in season and trying to get to the male?

my boy hates being grabbed from behind , hes getting better but he used to turn n snap too

like steph says it could be a combination of things , the heat , her season making her grumpy or she could smell something in this hole she did not want to miss out on ,

maybe when out in the garden u could but a long line on her so u can lead her away that way

i agree with the above.....

most dogs hate being grabbed by the collar...

my boy digs holes and doesnt listen when i say no...... a loud noise from me whilst approaching him head on will deter him and make him leave the hole.....

all dogs differ on what you can/cant do to them....

my dogs will allow me to grab their back legs and pull them away from situations. (i take the back legs as its far away from the teeth) this wont work on ALL dogs and MAY frighten them more....

i suggest your partner clean the wound and get a tetanus if needed..

but try an alternative to grabbing collars.... maybe stones in a tin to deter the dogs...

also at 13 months the dog is in its teenage stage and can be obstrebouous

please dont give up on your dog...

Kells

The dog has a reprieve at this moment in time, it's odd that all of a sudden she don't like her collar being held, I do it when at roads when I'm trying to cross ???

I will be inspecting the hole when I get in and watching her how she behaves around me my partner milo and the dog next door, my little one will not be anywhere near her from now on

when you are crossing the road the dog is aware that it is out on a walk and that you might tug the lead/ collar,but when your dog was digging it

was focused on digging and may have seen the grabbed collar as an attack....

thats all im saying...

they are different situations and the dog may see the actions in a different way

Kells

The dog has a reprieve at this moment in time, it's odd that all of a sudden she don't like her collar being held, I do it when at roads when I'm trying to cross ???

I will be inspecting the hole when I get in and watching her how she behaves around me my partner milo and the dog next door, my little one will not be anywhere near her from now on