Dog Killed By Officer Responding To Wrong Address

mydiamond

Part of me is really angry about this...

Another part of me...the part of me with a friend who recently left law enforcement who once told me that his faith in humanity was obliterated after being shot by a 12 year old with an automatic weapon....that part of me says that I don't know the whole story, only what's availible here. I don't know what sort of information the officer was given about the call, whether or not the address mistake was his or dispatch or just a problem with radio communication. I don't know if the officer was told that there was a dog being used in the crime, and I don't know if he was told that the thieves were armed or not. We through experience KNOW that just because someone says their dog isn't violent or aggressive doesn't make it so. How many threads are on here where people are venting because of off lead dogs and owners yelling at us for our on lead dogs looking scary?

I love dogs, and I'm sorry that the family had this happen to them...I'm very sad that they lost their furbaby...but what a crap job. To risk your life every day for your community only to be villified and crucified publically with any mistake you make.

What makes me the maddest about this story is this "A neighbor of the Bolings who came to the scene says she heard the officer say he thought Lillie was a pit bull." So being a pit bull is grounds for shooting a dog? I can't tell you how many stories I've read where friendly pit bulls that are family pets have been wrongfully shot by police officers. A pit bull will often approach people, they are a very people friendly breed. Doesn't mean just because it walks over to you it will take your leg off. Makes me livid. I would be perusing some type of legal actions had it been any of my dogs. There was no reason for this dog to have lost its life and for the family to go through this.

I do understand being a police officer is a dangers and often thankless job. There are many fine men and women on the force. However their are also a lot of crooked ones that hide behind the badge. We don't have all the facts or all the sides to this story and never will so clear cut opinions can't accurately be formed.

Having been approached more times than I can count by growling or agitated barking dogs as their owner called out not to worry - they're friendly! - I find myself reserving judgment and wondering why these people left the gate open for their dogs to wander free around them when they are unable to call them off from approaching someone. Last time I walked by a house where someone made a habit of doing that I was rushed by a doberman.

If there's one thing I've learned from being on this website, it's that - especially when it comes to canine incidents - the media rarely has the whole story. It's easy to say the cop panicked and shot the dog (and the pit bull statement sounds ridiculous as the dog doesn't look remotely like one) for no reason, and maybe that was the case. Maybe the cop has an irrational fear of dogs, or maybe the last time he was at a call he was​ attacked by a dog. Hard to say.

Hmm sad as this story is I have to agree there's so much we don't know about everything and everyone involved in this. My first instinct though as a pet owner is that those dogs should have been behind a closed gate :( This idea that my dog is on my property and can do as it pleases on it is really outdated and frankly dangerous in this day and age both to the dog and the public. Back in the day yeah sure it was totally acceptable to allow your lab to go great neighbors as they walked by on their daily routines. Now a days, especially here in the states, everyone is so on edge and so hot under the collar lashing out at a friendly pet is all to common and all to tempting. Pet owners need to take a good long look at what this world is turning into lately and step up their role as their pets protectors because if they don't start taking that role far more seriously this senseless and preventable loss of life will not be the last :(