Hi there, I'm Chelsea.

Dashing

And the adorable little guy in my avatar and profile pic is my new puppy, Dash. I've have him for a week and I love him to death! He's quite a handful though, I can tell I'm going to need a lot of help. He's just reached 11 weeks, and he's already so smart! I've never owned a husky before, so I was quite surprised! Anyways, it's good to be here.

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Hello there and welcome to the wonderful, and often frustrating, world of husky ownership. Dash sure is a cute little guy. There is tons of info stashed in the threads so feel free to have a look or search through them. Also lots of friendly people with lots of advice, knowledge, and personal experience when it comes to dogs and huskies. Puppies can be a handful with any breed but husky puppies can be a whole different challenge in them selves lol Feel free to ask any questions :D

I've been told potty training a husky can be tricky lol our boy was about 95% potty trained when we first got him so I was lucky. I would suggest crate training, not only does it help tons with potty training but comes in handy for many other reasons. If you search for crate training in the search bar it should bring up some threads with tips and info about it.

I will upload more pics soon, promise! :)

I would suggest crate training, not only does it help tons with potty training but comes in handy for many other reasons.

This was the first thing I tried, he always goes in his crate. And when I take him out, he'll hold it until I finally give up and let him in. He was about to #2 on the carpet yesterday, so I scooped him up and brought him out. We were out there for TWO HOURS before I finally let him in and guess what? Right on the carpet.

Yeah I've heard of other puppies who will for some reason not potty outside and then will potty in the house right after they come back inside >_<

This may sound icky but could you maybe pick up his poo and place outside where he should be going potty. that way it will help trigger the urge when outside. and again scrub, scrub, scrub the spot he potties on in the house. I personally don't like using puppy pads but others do.

I would keep at the crate training, I think it comes in so handy and would not ever not crate train a dog lol. Consistency will also be a big help. It will be frustrating since puppies, especially husky puppies, like to test their owner's patience and are stubborn but if you stick with it things will be less confusing for the pup and he will be more likely to pick things up. It will take some time for him to make the connection of potty outside not inside etc, just make sure you have lots of paper towels and cleaner handy in the mean time ;)

Luka won't potty in his crate but he refuses to poop outside. He pees for the most part outside but we could stay out all day and he wont poop out there! Drives me insane! I figure if I keep being consistent one of these days he will learn. Patiently waiting. Grrr

:up: welcome to the pack, Dash is so adorable! The key with Husky's is love, patience and understanding. You will love them more and more over time as they will crawl inside your heart to stay, patience they will teach you(it helps to laugh thing off and not be too serious all the time and enjoy life-the Husky Spirit) and understanding is learning all you can about this marvelous breed thats hard to call dog, so you will better know your pup. It does pay to be patient with your pup and never give up, they are intelligent and quickly learn, but are stubborn. Is the crate too large? If so, partition it off and your pup Dash will not go in there. That was good advice above that [MENTION=4265]Paranormal Wolf[/MENTION] gave you about collecting his poo and depositing it outside where he is to go potty so he knows what you expect of him when you take him to that particular location. I hope this helps :up:

I've been told potty training a husky can be tricky lol our boy was about 95% potty trained when we first got him so I was lucky. I would suggest crate training, not only does it help tons with potty training but comes in handy for many other reasons. If you search for crate training in the search bar it should bring up some threads with tips and info about it.

^^ We crate trained Storm and it just took a little bit of time. He very rarely goes in the house now, and he loves his crate, If there's a lot going on in the house, it's his peace and quiet area. or if he wants to snooze, get a toy that's in there etc. I fully recommend crate training.

Hiya, Chelsae, welcome on board :wave: Dash is gorgeous!! I love the big ears & gangly legs phase, so cute!

As for potty training etc, check out our Training & Behaviour section for some ideas, you may have to try a few different things as each husky responds to different things - Training & Behaviour - but you will find one that works for you & Dash :D

Is the crate too large? If so, partition it off and your pup Dash will not go in there.

Yes, actually it is on the larger side. I thought that would be more comfortable for him. How do I partition it off to make it smaller?