When to add to your pack?

LittleLuka

So luka is my baby right now and I'm def enjoying spoiling him and him being my only puppy but eventually I want two.

Personally, I have no interest in purchasing another puppy. I'm glad im experiencing it with Luka but I'm good in skipping it next time.

So my question is when is the right age to add an adult male? (we have a rescue here and I'll be getting one from there) is it best to wait until Luka is like a year or is it better while he's still a puppy?

This is not even an option for the next few months I'm just curious which is the best way to go about this. Exp since I will have two males. (worried about dominance)

Advice/tips/recommendations?

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Mmm there's no exact rule of age when it comes to bringing home a second dog but you should wait until Luka has learned all of his manners so that the new dog won't mess his training :) 12 months sounds like a good choice :) it is also recommended to get a neutered male to reduce same sex aggression :)

That would depend on your circumstances really, but if you socialize Little Luka as soon as you can with other canines, age isn't as big a deal. We really have no ways of easily socializing our boy Czar Demon with others, so as a result, we'd have to get one younger than him so he doesn't see the new addition as a threat. You could either get one older who is socialized, or socialize Luka and get one later. We too are thinking of adding another to our pack, so you are not alone in this thought-good question!

They both will be neutered. Not that I want to but I can't breed luka due to his contract with the breeder anyways. And the rescue insists that all of their dogs are neutered.

Thanks for the feedback! Just a question but I've heard having an already trained dog helps the younger one learn faster? Is this just a load of junk? Lol I've only ever owned one dog at a time so I'm new to any of that.

They both will be neutered. Not that I want to but I can't breed luka due to his contract with the breeder anyways. And the rescue insists that all of their dogs are neutered.

Thanks for the feedback! Just a question but I've heard having an already trained dog helps the younger one learn faster? Is this just a load of junk? Lol I've only ever owned one dog at a time so I'm new to any of that.

huskies are visual learners :) there's a member here (forgot who LOL) that teaches her husky tricks by making him watch her other dog doing the tricks. She doesn't teach the husky solely by that method ofc but it helps the husky to understand what is he supposed to do and make him learn things faster :)

That would depend on your circumstances really, but if you socialize Little Luka as soon as you can with other canines, age isn't as big a deal. We really have no ways of easily socializing our boy Czar Demon with others, so as a result, we'd have to get one younger than him so he doesn't see the new addition as a threat. You could either get one older who is socialized, or socialize Luka and get one later. We too are thinking of adding another to our pack, so you are not alone in this thought-good question!

See luka doesn't have an easy access to being socialized. He has one dog he's played with one time and that's it. They have this particular sibe who still hasn't been adopted and he's like two and they say he's great with other dogs just no cats! (which is fine with me considering I'm allergic haha)

I would really like him to have a friend and I'm not gonna lie getting a husky is like a tattoo once you get one you want another.

Like I said this is out of the question for a few months (due to us moving) but after that I'll be ready. I just want it to be right for both dogs.

Oh they definately learn from the older one, we just have to make sure those things they are learning, are good things! Our rescue which is a Red Heeler taught our pup Czar Demon to spritz or hike his legs on things, so we had to teach him that wasn't what to learn. As long as the older one is doing correct behavior, there's no problem. Also, they both should take direction from you. I am excited for you and Luka to be able to have a sibling with which to play :D

See luka doesn't have an easy access to being socialized. He has one dog he's played with one time and that's it. They have this particular sibe who still hasn't been adopted and he's like two and they say he's great with other dogs just no cats! (which is fine with me considering I'm allergic haha)

I would really like him to have a friend and I'm not gonna lie getting a husky is like a tattoo once you get one you want another.

Like I said this is out of the question for a few months (due to us moving) but after that I'll be ready. I just want it to be right for both dogs.

You'll have far less problems when Luka is younger than later if not socialized. Believe me, we know your predicament also as we don't have other canines with which ot socialize our boy with either, no dog parks or anything like that around here in the country.

With a face like this you can see why it's hard to resist ... They have many eligible huskies but theres something about this guy... Sigh lol I'm going to wind up having a BIG pack one day[ATTACH]47179[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]47180[/ATTACH]

post-7406-13586047745046_thumb.jpg

post-7406-13586047745821_thumb.jpg

Im in a smiliar postion at the moment, i have a boy thats now 8 months old. Im on a waiting list for a litter next year so my boy will 14 months old.

We decided to wait until our current Starsky has time to grow up, learn some manners etc. As a first time husky owner focusing your efforts on one will be challanging enough.

Focus your time on getting Luka to be the dog you want him to be, and then if you still decide you would like another GO FOR IT!! :)

Enjoy the time you have with Luka while he's a pup :D

I don't think there is an exact answer to this...you have to go with your gut/heart on this. Personally I like things to be settled with the most recent addition before considering adding another. Denali is 18mos and it's just now we are considering adding another, I wanted Denali to be at a maturity and training level to help with the incoming youngster before taking that on. I've done the same with all of my rescues too, even the adults.

I would just add that when you do decide to adopt another dog, let Luka help with the decision. When we adopted our husky from the shelter, we took our Lab. The first husky we looked at was a beautiful little guy. When we introduced or Lab to him, he went crazy. He tried to bite the lab through the fence. We moved on, and found Dakota, and he started woowooing at our Lab. We put them in a fenced in area, and they began to play instantly. We let Sam pick the husky as he was a much better judge of character then us. Maybe, you could let Luka do the same. The husky you picked out is gorgeous, I can see what you see in him. Good luck with whatever you try to do. :D

Sent from my ADR6425LVW using Tapatalk 2

We actually added a fixed 2 year old make to our pack when our little one was only 5 months old and it's been the best thing we could've done. Our pup listens better now and has learned from the older dog not to go potty in the house and her nipping has stopped. Mind you it could go the other way but if that rescue is as well behaved as the one we got your usually ok. I think it's great your looking to rescue! Good luck!

We actually added a fixed 2 year old make to our pack when our little one was only 5 months old and it's been the best thing we could've done. Our pup listens better now and has learned from the older dog not to go potty in the house and her nipping has stopped. Mind you it could go the other way but if that rescue is as well behaved as the one we got your usually ok. I think it's great your looking to rescue! Good luck!

Thank you for sharing your experience! That's kind of what I was thinking. I feel like in a way it would benefit luka and me at the same time. Not to mention to give a sweet fur baby a home. :)

I want to do the same thing (if I can convince my husband haha). Our pup is now a year old. I would love another husky -- but am torn about whether or not to get a puppy or an older dog.. I don't relish going through the puppy stage again (Sherlock finally has started to calm down and be properly behaved most of the time), but they are so darn cute!

I'm hoping that if we move into a place with slightly more property we can eventually get a second one to give Sherlock a buddy.. most likely a rescue.

I’ve also been going back and forth about getting a second dog for the last couple of months. I got Nikko when he was 9 weeks and now he is 6 ½ months old. First I could not decide on adopting an adult or getting a puppy.

I had to make a list of pros/cons on each. A puppy is like a brand new slate, you can teach them right, where an adult dog may already have bad habits, not to mention you don’t really know their history, if they have been abused, health issues, etc. You won’t have to go through the puppy and teenage phases by adopting an adult, which are difficult to say the least. I think it’s just a matter of preference. Remember, the puppies look cute, but they grow up fast! I decided that when I do get another dog, I will get a puppy. Nikko is my first dog, so I want him to be the oldest when I add to the pack. I don’t feel comfortable introducing an older dog to him. I actually visited several older dogs and the initial meetings where kind of scary, since Nikko is always trying to be the alpha.

I was also afraid that since Nikko is still learning basic obedience and in classes that getting a second dog would mess up his training. He was already a nightmare to housetrain and I did not want to go through that again, or being destructive and rebelling against the other dog. Another concern is the age difference. I did not want 2 dogs very close in age, because as much as we don’t want to think about it, in 13-15 years we are going to have to say goodbye, and that will be that much harder when you have two dogs close in age.

So, it is not a question that can have the same answer. It depends on your preference and situation, and also your dog’s personality. In my situation I feel that when I add another husky to my pack I should get a puppy, and Nikko needs to be at least a year old before I do that. So my plans are to get another puppy this time next year. I think it would help with him being older and through all of his obedience training before I get another one, and it gives me more time to enjoy Nikko as a puppy as well as the new pup.

As far as the sex of the pup, I want a female. Nikko is already fixed, and I would plan to have the female spayed as well. Someone at a husky rescue group in Chicago told me that having a male/female or male/male is best, and to stay away from female/female combinations.