Summer grooming questions

Dakota82

of course the shedding's crazy! It's summer! :D a husky's coat have the ability to adjust to the temperature and keep your baby cool during summer time so... well I guess the shedding is inevitable x)

btw whatever you do please don't shave her.. not that you would, was just a reminder and maybe a tip for those lurkers who are reading this post

unfortunately I've never heard of a grooming tip that would reduce shedding x) but Diamond's groomer always cut the tip of his tail a bit. It looks really bad at first but after the fur grows back it looks awesome :up: other than the slight tail trimming the groomer never did anything else.. Except for trimming the fur in his pads when it grows too long

A warm/relatively hot bath will help loosen up the coat so that it comes out more quickly. If your groomer has a high-speed blow dryer, it can also be a real help in getting the fur out more quickly. I have one of my own, and will often use it on the dogs while they're dry, to get as much of the shedding coat out, then give a very warm bath, allow them to air dry (because I'm lazy!), and then use the blow dryer along with a comb or a rake to remove as much of the newly-loosened fur as possible.

So is "wooly" a different type of syberian husky? I have never really know exactly what she is since she was a rescue and I always thought since her coat was so thick and full that she had some malamute in her as well.......

Tip 1: Keep them in a constant temperature. Huskies that live outside all the time will have a more scheduled shed period than those kept indoors. (They shed all year long - noticable when we get our winter and summer coats in and out of the closets...)

Tip 2: As sutsibe said... a relatively warm bath - to add to that, try if you can put them in a tub or someting with water instead of putting water on them with a bucket/hose. This helps the full coat to float and more hair in the tub than you can get from dripping. I try not to recommend blow drying. This accelerates shedding in some dogs (even of same breed)

Tip 3: Use furminator A LOT. 2-3 times a week :P

So is "wooly" a different type of syberian husky? I have never really know exactly what she is since she was a rescue and I always thought since her coat was so thick and full that she had some malamute in her as well.......

no a wooly is not a different type of a husky :) they're just a husky with a different texture of coat which is softer and, well... woolier! XD judging from your pic above I think Dakota is a wooly :) not sure though... Not all long-haired husky can be called a wooly. My baby boy here is a wooly :) you can see the big difference between his coat and other husky's coat :) it's just... puffier LOL

A true wooly coat is very soft, and lacks a true guard coat - the outer layer of coarser hair that "most" huskies have. The coarser guard coat is more wind and water repellant. The wooly coat is also more liable to matting than a "normal" husky coat...

I wouldn't recommend the furminator, that often if at all...

For shedding we do a big brushing, warm bath and work through the fur with the zoom groom, blow dry with the HV drier, and then rotate undercoat rake with a slicker brush. That is the most effective way to "de-shed" them by far that i've found. I only use the furminator on a few of mine who's fur is shorter in places (such as Odins back legs.) Otherwise I feel it is too harsh and cuts at the fur.

I have Bart groomed once a month, it runs me a little over $100 since he has to be muzzled since he's not nice when being groomed and has bit his groomer :(. We go to Petco and they use a shed control shampoo. It works wonders! He still sheds just a lot less.

026851006367C.jpg

This is what they use. I only take him to be groomed since he's too much for me to handle, and they do a better job then I ever could.