dew claws

Diesel has been chewing his back dew claw, he does this from time to time but we stop him. This time he has drawn blood, but I was out doing a homecheck so couldn't stop him. It's only a drop of blood, nothing dramatic but I've just noticed him limping a bit on it. He came to us with only one rear dew claw. Is it worth looking into getting it removed?

I had to have both of Olle's rear dew claws removed as they were causing him problems as they were catching together. Be warned it is not a cheap procedure I got quotes of between (this is no joke) £250 and £400. Most insurance companies will not cover their removal unless there is a medical reason to do so.

Thanks, Gill, he does have a nibble every few months so I've never bothered much before but he's made it bleed tonight & was limping, though now I've stopped him chewing it, he seems better on his leg. I'll just keep my eye on it & see how he goes

Edit: How much??????????? :jawdrop:

The cheapest vet was 10 miles away from where I live. Maybe, if you have insurance speak to your vet because if it is causing problems then he may be able to treat it under insurance. I really don't know why it is so expensive seeing as how the rear dew claws are not attached to bone it's ridiculous. I got 4 different quotes. The other 3 were local to me. I think vet prices are going up as so many people have pet insurance thus leading to pet insurance premiums going up. Vicious circle. When I got my quote through for the boys insurance I nearly fell through the floor. When I queried it the insurance company said they look at the claims for the postcode area and partially base their claims on that. I pay over £65 for the two boys a month. However they are continuing care policies, could get a lower quality policy but I am risk adverse.

wow! I've just got lifetime cover for all 3 of mine for £49 a month (though I'm having real hassle actually getting it sorted!)

Came down this morning & through the night, Diesel has actually chewed the dew claw off! It is a clean wound, no blood, just a red / pink "lump" through the skin.

wow! I've just got lifetime cover for all 3 of mine for £49 a month (though I'm having real hassle actually getting it sorted!)

Came down this morning & through the night, Diesel has actually chewed the dew claw off! It is a clean wound, no blood, just a red / pink "lump" through the skin.

Must have been really irritating him no end. I presume a quick check with the vet to make sure it's really a clean "operation" - and, excuse me if I'm chuckling, but a whole lot cheaper than the prices I've seen floating around in this thread!

Val, definitely see about getting him on some antibiotics - when my vet's removed dew claws (when I've assisted there) on adult dogs, she usually prescribes antibiotics. You might also want to see that he's removed it far enough back, or it still could sprout a bit of nail, which often can cause a problem, growing back inward, and poking into the skin... The operation is a pain to do on an older dog - even though they aren't thoroughly attached, there is a good blood supply, and they often bleed a lot!