Owner charged after golden retriever dies in hot car

aronoiiel

It's already started and it hasn't even gotten that hot here yet :( I believe the day this happened the weather was in the mid to high 70's. What I don't understand is most state parks do NOT allow pets or only allow them on one or two trails so why in the heck would you bring your dog to a state park to leave it in the damned car :@ I think it fair not only that he is being charged but also that he has to explain to his grandchildren why that dog is no longer around. I wish I could feel sorry for the guy but to be honest common sense clearly is not high on his priority list!

http://www.komonews.com/news/local/Owner-charged-after-golden-retriever-dies-in-hot-car-156430095.html

This beggars belief.:(

I am still reeling over the police dog handler who did something like this here in the UK because he forgot they were in the back of his dog handler's van. It was, I might add, according to msn (main stream news,) the second such incident where dogs in his care had died as a result of overheating in the space of 2 years.:@

Jeez, I worry about possible traffic jams, car crashes and anything else that might hold us up on a journey that is likely to be an hour long - and that is before the dogs even get in the car.

Horrible. Hopefully it will serve as a lesson to others, but I doubt it. There was a case over here (can't remember all the details) where a police dog handler (you would have thought he would know better) lost 1 or more dogs due to being locked in the dog van. He was reprimanded (or something) but then did it AGAIN a few years later! By this time, he was not just a dog handler - he was a dog handling instructor

No sympathy for him, none what ever! Our temps are now hitting the century mark ( ok, 37+ ) and while I might take one or both dogs with me, there's no way I'd leave them anywhere that they didn't have shade and water. They're active early morning and late evening, the rest of the day they're crashed on the floor or on the porch when the suns gets to the other side of the house.

"Checked on him several times during the day ... " and didn't notice the dog was in distress or just didn't care? That sounds a whole lot like a mess of bovine defecation to me!!

I think the owner should be charged.... and not allowed to have dogs anymore.

But I also think the police should be charged as well...

A King County deputy arrived an hour later to find DeJong at the truck and the dog dead, according to charging documents.

They got a 911 call... and it took them an hour to respond???

Sorry... but how can they charge this guy when they themselves didn't see it as being a priority??

If I were that man's family..... I'd be angry at both him and the police.

I think the owner should be charged.... and not allowed to have dogs anymore.

But I also think the police should be charged as well...

They got a 911 call... and it took them an hour to respond???

Sorry... but how can they charge this guy when they themselves didn't see it as being a priority??

If I were that man's family..... I'd be angry at both him and the police.

Unfortunately with the rash of violence that has hit in the area, especially in Seattle, the King County Deputies have been stretched extremely thin so I can see why it took them so long to respond as it was not a human's life involved. (to us pet owners I understand that's no excuse but you do have to look at the bigger picture) This year alone Seattle has seen over 23 murders (most involving random shootings started by arguments) which is the total for a whole year back in 2010 and it's only about half into this year :( It's really scary up there so while I am not excusing the long response time I'm just pointing out that in the bigger scheme of things I can see why that was the case. This is also coming on the heals of one of the worst mass shootings Seattle has seen in a long time :(

Edit to add: Also forgot to mention a King Country deputy is responsible for the entire areas that are not incorporated into a city where the city police have jurisdiction so if you take into account the huge areas they have to cover it's just not possible for them to be able to get to most calls as quickly as they should. It's kind of a crappy system with not enough people to staff it :(

Edited by aronoiiel

• 2 weeks later...

I understand priorities (RE: the hour it took for police to respond). But I certainly wish whomever had called this in would have broken a window...........................

In any event, my heart breaks for what this poor pup went through.

The owner was and is, an idiot.

I understand priorities (RE: the hour it took for police to respond). But I certainly wish whomever had called this in would have broken a window...........................

In any event, my heart breaks for what this poor pup went through.

The owner was and is, an idiot.

You're insulting the idiots when you group him with them!!

There have been a lot of deaths like this recently...there's a heatwave out there and people still leave their dog in the car!

Suka's got SA so we can't leave him alone (crating is not an option also)...but the other day when we had to go somewhere, I got a friend to look after him cause I knew within minutes he would suffer heatstroke in the 35 C temperatures (+ humidity!)