Now, and when at school: tell me your most used/remembered sayings/catchphrases.

Mollys_mum

Okay, kids today seem to think they have the monopoly on language meaning and use, as if, somehow, they reinvented it all.:rolleyes:

Someone put up a post on here today using a word that I haven't used for a long time - one that was very popular in its day, so I thought it might be interesting to:

(a) share with other members the ones that I can remember

(B) learn new (old) ones from across the pond

© Learn new ones in circulation at the moment.

Here's a few I remember from school/my late teens:

Cool

Awesome

Epic

Sound (as a pound, and twice as round – a northern expression I heard in the 1990s.)

Dreeeam on!

Itchy chin (In response to someone bragging) The longer the itch, the bigger the brag!

Spam! (Slapping of someone’s forehead when s/he said something stupid)

Willy Hill (as in, I'd bet..) I'm sure I invented that originally.:S

Safe! (Followed by a meeting of closed fists - I loved that one:D)

Interested to hear if your experiences were similar in your teens/what you use now/regional and global differences. ;)

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Itchy chin was also known as 'Jimmy Hill' due to the lengtht of his chin and it's tufty beard thing - good for symbolic scratching.

I thought 'dushbag' was spelt douche and had a far worse meaning or maybe I watch too many US cop shows!

We weren't allowed to use any type of slang or street talk at home or school :( SA in my day was very conservative and parents very, very strict. They still are to a degree, but we hear a lot more slang now than when I was growing up.

But I remember the same words being used here

Cool or mega cool

Safe

Dream on

and then there was

Magic - for anything good

Sick - for something awful, but I heard it is now a good thing ?

Wowzer

Epic - usually music related

Super

Bro

Spaz

Like - used all the time as in "like, no way man" or "that was like, way cool" :rolleyes:

Whats up

Ace - goovy or awesome

The list goes on ............

The most slang used here is derived from Afrikaans so it will not be familiar to anyone other than SA's. The Afrikaans speaking people use quite a lot of slang - and it is usually very, very good.

My Mom and Dad were in their late 20's in the 1960's and their friends used the usual hippie type talk - that was always great fun to listen to - every sentence was interspersed with groovy .

Groovy

A gas - lots of fun

Bread - money

Do you dig it - do you like it

We weren't allowed to use any type of slang or street talk at home or school :( SA in my day was very conservative and parents very, very strict. They still are to a degree, but we hear a lot more slang now than when I was growing up.

But I remember the same words being used here

Cool or mega cool

Safe

Dream on

and then there was

Magic - for anything good

Sick - for something awful, but I heard it is now a good thing ?

Wowzer

Epic - usually music related

Super

Bro

Spaz

Like - used all the time as in "like, no way man" or "that was like, way cool" :rolleyes:

Whats up

Ace - goovy or awesome

The list goes on ............

The most slang used here is derived from Afrikaans so it will not be familiar to anyone other than SA's. The Afrikaans speaking people use quite a lot of slang - and it is usually very, very good.

My Mom and Dad were in their late 20's in the 1960's and their friends used the usual hippie type talk - that was always great fun to listen to - every sentence was interspersed with groovy .

Groovy

A gas - lots of fun

Bread - money

Do you dig it - do you like it

Wow! These are fab, Rosemary!:D I've never heard of a 'wowzer' before...what's that all about?!

Let's see:

In school...it was your typical 80's buzz words

Rad

Cool

Neat...

We also had the introduction of the Simpsons which added a whole new series of

Don't have a cow...etc...

Now words regularly include:

Cracktastic: You are cracktastic...ie you behave like I would imagine someone strung out on crack would

Spastic: See Cracktastic...change drug from crack to crank

anywordstic: Usually a way of taking a commonly understood thing and assigning an illness to it based upon behavioral observation

Can't think of many others right now....

So, like, I grew up in the '50s and there was a whole different way of talking back then - çourse since I went to a Catholic school most of them were verboten!

See, man, this here cat he got himself a set of cherry wheels, jacked up and rad! Ultra cool!! Like, he's on cloud-9! See, Clyde, he's got this chick; she's a cube 'n looking to get circled and he's wanting to go hang at the passion pit, he ain't hep with the ankle biters yet.

Any takers on the translation?? :)

So, like, I grew up in the '50s and there was a whole different way of talking back then - çourse since I went to a Catholic school most of them were verboten!

See, man, this here cat he got himself a set of cherry wheels, jacked up and rad! Ultra cool!! Like, he's on cloud-9! See, Clyde, he's got this chick; she's a cube 'n looking to get circled and he's wanting to go hang at the passion pit, he ain't hep with the ankle biters yet.

Fab! No idea on translation though!

:D

Awesomesauce - no idea where this one stemmed from :P

Spesh - short version of 'special'

Bummed out - disappointed, let down, etc

Mint - great, nice, etc

A lot of the ones I grew up with have already been said :P

Okay, kids today seem to think they have the monopoly on language meaning and use, as if, somehow, they reinvented it all.:rolleyes:

Someone put up a post on here today using a word that I haven't used for a long time - one that was very popular in its day, so I thought it might be interesting to:

(a) share with other members the ones that I can remember

(B) learn new (old) ones from across the pond

© Learn new ones in circulation at the moment.

Here's a few I remember from school/my late teens:

Cool

Awesome

Epic

Sound (as a pound, and twice as round a northern expression I heard in the 1990s.)

Dreeeam on!

Itchy chin (In response to someone bragging) The longer the itch, the bigger the brag!

Spam! (Slapping of someones forehead when s/he said something stupid)

Willy Hill (as in, I'd bet..) I'm sure I invented that originally.:S

Safe! (Followed by a meeting of closed fists - I loved that one:D)

Interested to hear if your experiences were similar in your teens/what you use now/regional and global differences. ;)

Omg, haven't heard itchy chin for ages! We used to say itchy beard or stroke our chins. Aswell as the usual "cool", "innit", and "sad" which people used to say something was rubbish "that's totally sad".

I say old chap, an acquaintance of mine has a rather decent car with suspension modifications and he is very happy with it. He is 'stepping out' with a young lady who is somewhat straight-laced but wants to loosen her bodice. He would like to know her in the biblical sense but does not want to start a family yet

Omg, haven't heard itchy chin for ages! We used to say itchy beard or stroke our chins. Aswell as the usual "cool", "innit", and "sad" which people used to say something was rubbish "that's totally sad".

stroking the chin was how we signified the jimmy hill

I say old chap' date=' an acquaintance of mine has a rather decent car with suspension modifications and he is very happy with it. He is 'stepping out' with a young lady who is somewhat straight-laced but wants to loosen her bodice. He would like to know her in the biblical sense but does not want to start a family yet[/quote']

BINGO!!! cool daddy-o!!! You must've been one cool cat in your day!!

BINGO!!! cool daddy-o!!! You must've been one cool cat in your day!!

Lol! Moll's dad reminds me of Dr. Spencer Reed in Criminal Minds. He's like a walking text book.:D

Very useful sometimes...and we never run out of things to talk about.:rofl: