ID tags save the day again!

Ravenwolf

We had a brutal windy day today. So windy that this happened:

post-5937-13586049121439_thumb.jpg

So the evening was off to a great start. Then, my husband goes to let the dogs in the house and finds that - whether it was the wind or the latch on the gate shook loose from the dogs jumping on it to look out - the dogs have escaped. Super. So we take off in separate vehicles to look for them. They hadn't been gone very long, maybe 20 minutes, but as I'm sure you all know a husky can cover a lot of ground fast. I had probably only been cruising for maybe 10 minutes when I got a phone call. I was nowhere near where the dogs were, despite having been headed in the right direction. And to my horror they had crossed the major road - 4 lanes with a speed limit of 70 kph - well over a kilometer from the house.

Fortunately they had found an open gate, and a surprised homeowner was alerted by her barking chihuahua that two huskies were frolicking merrily in their wading pool. Just as fortunately, the homeowner closed the gate on them and checked their tags. She said the home phone number didn't work (it is correct so she must have dialed wrong, but I wasn't about to say so!) but fortunately I also had my cell phone on there so she called that and I was there within 2 minutes. I don't think I've said "thank you!" so many times in so many different ways in ever!

My biggest fear when the dogs escape is that they will be hit by a car, so it was heartstopping to learn they had crossed such a busy road. I've now put a carabiner through the latch so it is impossible to open without removing that first. So all in all it's been a pretty stressful evening!

Edited by Ravenwolf

Wow, what a freaky set of occurances! So glad they are both back safe and sound.

Tehe, sorry, but I had to chuckle when I read the bit about your boys frolicking around in the woman's garden...the initial expression on her face must have been priceless!

Wow, what a freaky set of occurances! So glad they are both back safe and sound.

Tehe, sorry, but I had to chuckle when I read the bit about your boys frolicking around in the woman's garden...the initial expression on her face must have been priceless!

LOL like this----> :jawdrop: :eek: :yikes:

Thanks all - I am sooo glad we got them home safe. As I was driving around I was having awful visions of getting a call only to find one had been struck by a car or something - I don't know what I'd have done if that happened. Probably had a complete breakdown at this point!

So happy to read they are safe and sound - it is really nice that the lady they decided to honour with a visit had the sense to close the gates and keep them contained.

I'm so thankful she did! Later today I'm going to bring something over for them as a thank you.

Proves there worth when you read a story like this, so glad they are ok.

And how! 3 times they've escaped in the last few years, and each time they were returned safely to us by good people. That's the other nice thing about having contact information - it's not just that they don't surrender the stray and decide to keep him instead, this way they KNOW the dog has a home and would have to willingly steal him. And so far, most people don't seem to have devious or selfish intent - which is good, because Scout especially is SUCH a lover! And also, as I pointed out to my husband, since our dogs aren't licensed :whistling: it would be something like 250$ to get them back from the pound, but having tags means someone is far more likely to call us before Animal Control!

VERY glad that they're home, safe and sound! Also quite happy that they didn't manage to have Mexican for supper! :jawdrop:

OMG I know, right?!! When I first arrived I thought it sounded like her dog had been outside too, and I was honestly shocked there was no incident. Scout I'm sure would have been fine, but I wouldn't trust Wyatt not to go after it for a multitude of reasons! But fortunately her dog stayed in the house the entire time.

OMG I know, right?!! When I first arrived I thought it sounded like her dog had been outside too, and I was honestly shocked there was no incident. Scout I'm sure would have been fine, but I wouldn't trust Wyatt not to go after it for a multitude of reasons! But fortunately her dog stayed in the house the entire time.

You have me laughing, right now! Very, very glad that the Chi was in the house, and stayed safely there! :rofl:

glad they are home safe :) One of my neighbors small dogs got out last year (can't remember the breed) and got hit by a car. Poor thing didn't have it's collar on as they don't use them in the house but he was micro chipped. The dog thankfully only had minor injuries but the micro chip wouldn't scan at the vet's office so he went to the shelter and they couldn't get it to scan either for some reason. She got lucky as she called the shelter everyday to see if he had turned up and was able to claim him. It's a reminder that while microchips are a great thing sometimes it can't beat an actual id tag.