dispensable dogs

I am so fed up with seeing things about people giving up their dogs for silly reasons.

A dog is for life, not just till you cant afford it, or have a baby, or move house, or get divorced.

:@:angry:

I'm sorry but it drives me mad!

I agree, I also can't believe how many people get a husky with no idea what they're taking on board and then want rid of it when they haven't taken the time to train it or give it the attention and exercise it needs and it becomes unmanageable- especially with all the advice online and screening with breeders.

We thought long and hard about getting a husky before we got Loki and everywhere we go people who don't own huskies (or even dogs) tell us ''oh you should be careful with that breed of dog, they're hard work!''…really?!!! are they really??!! thanks for letting me know!! lol

I agree with some of what you say, but i think if someone cant afford a dog then yes they should give it up, Diesel's previous owner couldnt afford to look after him properly but tried for as long as she could, as a result he came here very underweight :( No dog should have to put up with a lack of food or vet care because the owner is either too proud to admit they can't afford it or they feel under pressure from people to keep the dog because 'a dog is for life'.

The same for having a baby, now that depends on why they are rehoming. Time - well there's ways around that, i.e walkers, dog day care, family/friends to help out. But if they have reason to worry about the dog's temperament then I would say maybe it is best to rehome to a child free family. I personally wouldnt have children in that situation but I'm not very maternal or broody, some women are and desperately want children, if they were to deny themselves that because of the dog & wait until they felt the dog was safe or whatever, they may find that they had left it too late and are now unable to conceive, which will create resentment against the dog.

So I think there are some circumstances where 'a dog is for life' is unfair to the family, there are some things you just cant plan for

different circumstances can change priorities..... people judge too quickly

Agreed here we wont ever know peoples full circumstances either so shouldnt judge to quickly this is why i dont look on these sites etc

Its not the change in circumstances cases that annoys me (i have a lot of respect for people who make that heartbreaking decision to rehome a beloved pet in order for it to have a better quality of life), its the selfish and ignorant people who get a dog because its something cute and entertaining and keep it until its a very unhappy and untrained animal with very unhappy neighbours and unfortunately there are plenty of those around us…really sad :(

It is sad...and that's partially why I stopped volunteering at the humane society with the dogs. Too many stupid reasons for giving up their pets, and it broke my heart. (Not to mention, I wanted to steal them all away..!)

It's a tough call,yes there are genuine reasons and circumstances that affect whether the dog would maybe suffer if they remained.Many people become ill or hospitalised/unable to physically walk the dog for one example.As mentioned above,sadly,some can no longer afford the correct nutrition for the dog and the dogs health suffers,there are many more too.

I agree and am terribly annoyed by the reasons of the ignorant,for example,the dog has got too big and is badly behaved!!I haven't got time to walk it and it is destroying my house.People actually admitting that they got a husky because "it looks good!!!!"

I could never comprehend how someone could have a pup and when it gets big and it's requirements increase,they make lame excuses and just want it gone.

I have re homed all mine,never had a tiny pup,youngest was 10 months and no matter how hard things got,it would destroy me to part with them.

If I lost my home,I would have to arrange for temporary help,until I could get them back,safe with me.I couldn't imagine my life without them as they are such an important part of it.

Sadly,some people really do not care in the same way as we all do on here.

I could never get rid of luka. He's not only my dog, he's my best friend. Getting him has completely changed my life And it makes me tear up even thinking about having to let him go.

I agree situations differ but I'd do whatever it takes to keep him.

I have to agree to a point. I've witnessed two people I work with rehome between them 5 dogs a cat and aa rabbit and then one take on a boxer and mastiff cross the other a dog de Bordeaux!

As already mentioned. Disposable animals

its sad that people take on a dog thinking it will stay all puppyish and then decide to move on to the next fad that they want to pursue. However if that person literally cant afford to look after the dog or provide it medical treatment when needed then what is best for the dog needs to be considered and lets face it in that situation that must be so hard to make that decision as the dog is probably the owners soul mate/ best friend etc and they know and will hate themselves that they werent able to provide for there beloved pooch. Dakota is everything in my life other than my husband of course, she has been there for me through the worst times in my life and the best (including the day my husband proposed to me) I couldnt give her up it would break me inside and I dread the day I have to say goodbye, I dont think I will ever find another dog that I have such a connection with as I do with Dakota, I adore her and you can she she adores me

its sad that people take on a dog thinking it will stay all puppyish and then decide to move on to the next fad that they want to pursue. However if that person literally cant afford to look after the dog or provide it medical treatment when needed then what is best for the dog needs to be considered and lets face it in that situation that must be so hard to make that decision as the dog is probably the owners soul mate/ best friend etc and they know and will hate themselves that they werent able to provide for there beloved pooch. Dakota is everything in my life other than my husband of course, she has been there for me through the worst times in my life and the best (including the day my husband proposed to me) I couldnt give her up it would break me inside and I dread the day I have to say goodbye, I dont think I will ever find another dog that I have such a connection with as I do with Dakota, I adore her and you can she she adores me

I feel the same about my Storm. I mean I love Angel too but Storm, hes my baby :wub:

That gets on my nerves as well.

Think before purchasing the animal.

Think about the future. Think about some situations in which that will be hard for the pet to live in and even yourself.

Some people just do not care and just want a pet for a day and then give them away...