Buckle Up the Dog

calvinandmommy

I found this article online.....(I hope the link works)....the state of New Jersey is now fining people $1000 if they do not have their dog buckled in the car. I think that is awesome. More states/places need to start doing this. I think all dogs need to be buckled in cars or restrained some how.

Buckling up your dog or cat next frontier in safety, $1,000 traffic tickets | Motoramic - Yahoo! Autos

Just finally watched the video on the article and the guy pretty much makes fun of this whole thing. I suggest just reading the article.

Edited by calvinandmommy

I think it is a good law to introduce. We have seen many motorists driving with their dogs on their laps :( granted, they are mostly little dogs, but in an accident they will surely die lodged betweent the driver and the steering wheel. If ozzy & Micah were free to move around in the car they would definitely try and sit on our laps :eek:

If ozzy & Micah were free to move around in the car they would definitely try and sit on our laps :eek:

Calvin would definitely try to sit in our laps if he was not restrained. When he was real little we would just let him sit in my lap in the car but that was for maybe a 10 min drive for a vet appt every once in a while. Still not a good idea but we all make mistakes.

Ryn has had a couple different seatbelts.........the first was ok except she danced around in circles trying to get out. Ended up stopping to help her. The second is really good and keeps her in place.

I have to admit I don't use it all the time, which is wrong. No excuses, it's just wrong. Sadly I've seen what can happen when they aren't restrained. A dog sitting in the back of a pickup when it rolled - human no injuries; but the dog didn't survive. A poodle on the lap of another individual - human no injuries, poodle lost all his teeth in front AND escaped from the car (thankfully caught by emergency responders and taken to the pound until the human could pick it up); and lastly, the sad stories of those dogs which are so scared after an accident and simply run away from the scene - often never to be seen again. As a reporter, I read it all........

Yet, apparently, even I havent' gotten the message completely..........