Cars avoid crashes by talking to each other

aronoiiel

I don't like it. One more piece of technology for people to become dependent on. If such a thing were commonplace, I foresee people paying less attention to what's going on outside their vehicles, relying on systems like this to inform them of danger.

We've seen such a thing at work already with features like back up cameras. They offer the driver visibility into their rear blindspot, but every driver I've witnessed operate on watches solely the projection and completely ignores their mirror and sideviews. Even worse, people who rely on back up alarms to tell them when they're near to running into something. My sister hit another car with her boyfriend's truck once because, instead of using her mirrors to back up, she trusted the warning alarm to tell her when she was too close. It was still telling her she had plenty of room when she hit it.

And as for people saying "but knowing how much room you have back there is so haaaaaard!" Pu-leeze! If I can accurately back a 1 ton truck to a trailer's ball hitch by myself I think the average person can take the time to learn the dimensions of their own car/truck/urban assault vehicle!

Or blind spot cameras so people don't have to go to the trouble of actually LOOKING before they change lanes?

As it is people already have so many distractions on the inside of their vehicle that I'm really skeptical that one more would be beneficial. And only enabled vehicles would be able to "talk" to each other, so the innovator of this is I'm sure hoping for an industry cleansweep to revolutionize cars. But how many vehicles on the road now are new models compared to ones that are 3 or more years old? You'd only be warned of another new car coming your way... I wonder just how many accidents this would truly prevent in actual practice? And it's still not going to prevent you from mowing down a pedestrian you didn't see.

I may not be very old, but when it comes to trusting new technology I'm a veritable fuddy duddy!