Should you let any dog walk in front of you?

Tatipu

Jelly isn't old enough to go in public yet, (I don't think since she only had her 2nd round of shots) but I walk her around my yard since it's pretty big and is it bad that I let her walk in front? When she pulls I tell her ''no pull'' and she stops and walks normally again. But usually she walks a little in front of me and I'm not sure if that's okay or not. She stops if I ask her to stop and she's pretty good at not pulling unless she sees someone new. (still working on that part) but yeah.

Should I train her to walk next to me only?

If so, how do I do that? I'm a leftie so I don't feel comfortable having her walk on the left side so she walks on my right.

She's great at waiting for me if I say stop or something but once I catch up and let her walk again she still walks a little in front. SOMETIMES she walks with me but not always.

So -- what is it ? :o:confused:

Are you raising a show dog? If that's the case then do whatever is appropriate.

If you're raising a friend and companion then do what feels right to you. Obviously you want her to be "at heel" when you're in a congested area or generally someplace where you and / or she are uncomfortable - so you *do* need to train for that.

But if you're just out for a walk, and she doesn't pull you off your feet, what's wrong with letting her explore??

This, to me, is one of the "go with your gut" situations, be prepared for the rough spots but if she's a companion let her relax too.

There's no problem with a dog walking in front of you :) I walk Kiska and Freya on a walking belt so they're both in front, pulling me along! :P Freya is quite badly trained; I've only had her 3 weeks and I found out that she pretty much never got taken for a walk in either of her previous homes :( So she doesn't really know what to do, she just knows she's excited and wants to RUN! :P But Kiska is so well behaved, she walks in front of me keeping light tension at the end of the lead, exactly how I want her to walk :) My view is that the walk is for the dog, they should be able to enjoy it, and walking to heel doesn't seem like any fun, how can they smell and explore from there? :P

so long as my dogs dont pull they are allowed in front , if they start to pull i have them walk next to me till they are calmer then they are allowed ahead again

i walk the dogs FOR them , they arent robots , its their walk so as long as they have the manners to walk on a loose leash they are allowed infront of me :)

Ive found that Qilaq, by and large, will do what i tell her to. Although, it is becoming apparent that all my efforts at training her to be able to walk to heel (as is not what huskies naturally feel the need to do), have hampered my efforts in training her to pull a bike/scooter. She is getting it, but i cant help but feel that if i wouldnt have been so into training her to walk to heel, she might be more into pulling.

That said, i do feel that its fair enough just to go with what the situation dictates. At the side of a busy road, be aware of traffic if you are letting the dog walk in front. In a park or field etc, then let them walk as they will. :)

There's value in teaching her to walk at heel (right or left side), but I see no harm in letting her walk ahead, as far as her opinion of her place in the pack. Keep in mind that Siberians and other sled dogs have been bred for thousands of years to be out ahead of people - and still take directions from them...

What I do, is that Suka (my husky) is trained to walk at a heeling position during the walk. BUT, at certain points in our walk (depending if he's been a good boy or not for that section!), he has areas of 'free-time' where he's allowed to do anything he wants! Mark his territory, sniff, etc!

He's allowed 3 areas of 'free time' (usually a few minutes in time or a certain distance. Like: A nice grassy area or an area that is beside a wooded ravine, or his favourite corner.) for our 55 minute walking route.

I've found it works very nicely! He's not frustrated because he isn't able to smell anything while on a walk, and I'm not frustrated because I'm not being yanked to every pole for him to pee on! It's a win-win.

I like my dogs to walk at heel when on a leash unless I give them the okay to go ahead. I have zero patience for pulling and consider it a hazard and an incident waiting to happen. So my dogs walk at heel on residential streets, but are allowed to roam and explore on a retractable leash once we get to the parks/open spaces. They must also heel again when passing other people or dogs. They know how far they can go on the leash and are usually pretty good about stopping before they hit the end - I'll correct them if they tug on the leash. Usually, if it doesn't look like they're going to stop in time, an "ah-ah!" is enough to stop them.

I wouldn't be all that concerned with her walking out front so long as she's polite about it - if you don't want her to pull or lean on the leash make a game out of it. As soon as she hits the end of the leash, call her excitedly and go the other way. Any time she hits the end it's a sudden direction change. This is a more fun way to get her used to the limitations of the leash and encourage her to come with and not fight against the leash.

I gave up on the concept after getting my first husky. Its embarrassing to walk a husky sometimes, and mine likes to zig zag and pull, but I have learned to deal with it, and pull her close when needed. I do like letting them explore, but the first 5-10min of the walk is more like a run.....but heck its good for me, gets my heart rate up! :D

post-6239-1358605032577_thumb.jpg

if you're feeling hesitant due to the dominance theory, then I'd say don't be. A dog walking in front of you doesn't always mean he's displaying dominance. I won't mind my dog walking in front of me, as long as he doesn't pull. It has nothing to do with dominance or alpha role, it's just that it's hurting my arm :S but Jelly is such a young lady, I think walking normally without biting the leash is already an achievement :) leash-training can wait a little :)

As long as my dogs don't pull on the leash I don't care where they walk. If I tell them to heel I expect them to come to perfect heel position because that is what I've trained and conditioned, but that is formal position and not something I ask them to do on walk unless I need/want their attention.

Thanks guys, sorry for the late response (: And yeah I was kind of worried about the alpha/dominant thing but yeah I feel comfortable with her in front because she only walks about a foot in front Thanks again ^-^

Since I walk both my dogs at the same time, walking on the left is not an option. As long as they don't pull too much I let them pretty much follow their noses. Actually with all the stopping and sniffing it's more like herding cats than walking dogs.

i walk all three of mine together....

darwin and daughtry walk ahead but dont strain at the leads,

echo will walk shoulder to leg with me...

sometimes all three will walk to the side of me and sometimes all out front...

as long as mine arent actively dragging then i dont mind x

Mine are expected to walk to heel if we're on a path/in town etc, they are allowed to walk in front but not pull excessively if we are in a park/field/woods etc.

I often have to walk through the town center to get to the dog park, so they must be on their best behaviour, having a dog pulling out in front and zig zagging all over the place when there are lots of people, buggies, wheelchairs etc is just dangerous. I also find they get more attention if they are behaving, no one wants to say hello to them if they are dragging me around! lol

Kira is my best walker, i use a headcollar for the 1st 5-10 minutes of a walk until she is calm and then take it off and she will walk to heel the rest of the walk, the others need their headcollars on more

I think I agree with the general consensus on this one which is use your gut, do what feels right.

I tried and tried to get Tehya to walk at heel and she just refused, or I was too soft on her - Probably the latter. Then I just let her walk on a longish lead in front with a slight pull from her, I enjoyed the exercise and so did she. Then I got given a very long retractable lead and once I had got her trained to stop at the kerb and everything else I realised that she loved walking up front, way up front. If she was at the full length of this lead in front she didn't pull - at all. She walked nice and slowly up front calmly leading the way and I'm happy for her to walk like that.

My newest one Phoenix is now walking on a short fixed lead using a Y splitter to walk side by side with Tehya and he's copying her perfectly, slight pull to keep a firm tension on the lead and I'm happy with that. I know everybody varies on what they want from theirs which is why again I say do what feels right for the both of you - walks should be enjoyed by both parties in my opinion.

Ryn is often out front (she has a serious case of 'lead dog syndrome') However, she does know and understand the heel concept. I use the command "hip" as I don't want her at my heel, I want her head at my hip. She does this quite well now, especially in crowds or traffic.

As far as your comment on pulling and telling your husky 'no', I would personally find another command. "No" can mean many different things "No pulling" "No sniffing" "No running" "Don't walk there" "Don't do that" etc..............I've found that both Ryn and my first husky did much better given commands that were exactly to the point. For example, 'Haw over' - when I give this command, she understands she should move over to the left. If I say "Haw around" - she knows that I want her to turn to her left and go back the way we came.