Back packing / walking dog titles

morningstorm

I was wondering if anyone on here has done any back packing certificates with there dogs, or walking certificates

I know that there are some out there that your dogs can take part in and complete various stages getting certificates to say they have completed x amount of miles of walking / camping / back packing. I know that AMWA (malamute working club do one) I know most of you have huskys.

I was just wondering if any of you have taken part in any and if so how you went about doing it and gaining the acceptable levels required etc

Many thanks look forward to hearing replies -I am in the UK so looking to do one which is current in UK

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

There's no age limit, but IceBlink is almost 13, and the pack dog titles require the dog to carry a certain amount of weight. The most Binks wants to do these days is pull pears off the tree in the yard.

It's actually pretty easy to get through 10 miles. Considering with dogs on the leash you go a little faster, you can get through a mile in about 20 minutes at a brisk walk. so with snack times, and a lunch, its a good little day hike.

I've done it in the past, here in the US (see the site listed in the 2nd post), and thoroughly enjoyed it!

True, now just to decide where to hike! There are a lot of DNR trails out around my house, but you hardly run into anyone out there and no ranger stations :/

The rules have changed a bit since I did it with my dogs, but the main one that comes to mind is that it must be on a natural trail, as opposed to a graveled or paved one... Fishing scales are wonderful for weighing packs!