Weight

Sid_Wolf

Many people worry that their dogs are underweight, when in fact they are an ideal weight. Remember, sibes are meant to be lean, not chunky, even pet dogs should be kept lean. If you can't feel the ribs without pressing then the dog is probably too fat.

Clench your hand into a fist, then run your fingers across your knuckles, if the ribs feel like that then the dog is definately underweight

lay your hand flat, run your fingers across your knuckles again, a healthy, lean dog's ribs will feel something like this.

252224_378191618897364_1313561487_n.jpg

Remember, an overweight dog is just as unhealthy as an underweight one

Many people worry that their dogs are underweight, when in fact they are an ideal weight. Remember, sibes are meant to be lean, not chunky, even pet dogs should be kept lean. If you can't feel the ribs without pressing then the dog is probably too fat.

Clench your hand into a fist, then run your fingers across your knuckles, if the ribs feel like that then the dog is definately underweight

lay your hand flat, run your fingers across your knuckles again, a healthy, lean dog's ribs will feel something like this.

252224_378191618897364_1313561487_n.jpg

Remember, an overweight dog is just as unhealthy as an underweight one

excellent post sid. in fact I think it needs to be a sticky

I agree. I find it very frustrating when I see dogs out of the ideal weight range, everyone needs to see and understand this image - people's perception of a 'good weight' is too far onto the fat side nowadays.

this stresses me out even more. Luka def fits in the "thin" category. lol but very good post!

dont forget he is growing, so will go through skinny stages, just adjust your feed accordingly, if he's looking skinny feed a little more (but not too much, he'll get the runs), if he's looking chunky cut it down a little, its a bit different with pups as they're constantly changing

this stresses me out even more. Luka def fits in the "thin" category. lol but very good post!

Ghost's in the thin category too. ;) It's better for Luka's development, too heavy a body can be a problem later for the legs' joints.

dont forget he is growing, so will go through skinny stages, just adjust your feed accordingly, if he's looking skinny feed a little more (but not too much, he'll get the runs), if he's looking chunky cut it down a little, its a bit different with pups as they're constantly changing

literally i can only feed him 2 cups per day or he's got the runs. i try to give him a few extra treats but doesn't seem to be helping.

literally i can only feed him 2 cups per day or he's got the runs. i try to give him a few extra treats but doesn't seem to be helping.

Have you tried adding an extra meal a day consisting of raw food, or cooked rice and chicken? Both are kind to the stomach and known to help put on weight :)

• 2 weeks later...

Ever since they were spayed/neutered, Storm is ideal even after being speyed but Simba and Maya's weight just balooned. they get walked regularly and have had their meals reduced and are also on light food, dry food only. Anybody any advice on getting my guys weight down. Simba used to be so active now he just kinda lumbers along although when I can get him running Storm just jumps on him :)