Husky attacks 5 year old in Calgary

Ravenwolf

Both my husband and my sister sent this to me the moment they saw it so I would know "before my father-in-law passed it on."

Two articles about it, one is far more sensational than the other. You can always tell when news comes from the Calgary Sun!

Huskies attack girl, 5, in Calgary park - *News - MSN CA

'Horrific' attack on girl, 5, by huskies - Canada - Canoe.ca

I’d suspect that the dogs escaped as opposed to being deliberately let loose, but it’s still owner responsibility. My biggest worry when ours escape is that Wyatt will get into trouble with a little dog, or that one of them will be hit by a car. Attacking a person – even a child - isn’t even on the radar as a concern.

A 5 year old is old enough that there is no way it should have been a “predatory†attack. I’m sure more details will come out eventually, but if it was just the two kids we may never know. As it is the two stories conflict already - one states that only one dog actually bit, while the other implies they they were both pulling on her. For all we know the kids could have been teasing the dogs – hell, when I was walking in a busy park last weekend when a 7-year-old ran up trying to agitate Scout into lunging at him. All it got him was a reprimand from me, but lots of people would helplessly “allow†their dogs to react and just drag them away (Scout was a superstar and barely glanced at the kid).

But again, so many dogs are not treated properly at home and when they do get into certain situations that poor behavior/training becomes a painfully clear…

I have to say though, even if a dog behaves properly at home, many people don't actually have the opportunity to expose their dogs to children regularly. So really, anything could happen when the dog is suddenly faced with a child.

In any case, the owners should take responsibility for allowing their dogs to escape and the parents should teach their kids how to treat dogs properly. It's true, we'll never know what happened, but I still think that all kids should be taught proper manners with dogs.

When they say husky it could very well mean its not purebred so it could have a different temperament from another breed in its genes. Marius runs around with my cousins 5 year old and hes fine he wont even leave her side. I think they are blowing it out of proportion like always trying to make the new bad breed huskies for some stupid reason. I'm quite angry that I cant comment on the news page >.>

Edited by Michelle Melsom

A friend of mine lives within a few blocks of where it happened, so hopefully she'll get some more reliable details than what the media is putting out right now. If the dog in the photos is the one they caught it at least looks like a purebred, but again, hopefully more details will come out.