PetSmart training classes

Jay

Has anyone taken their husky to PetSmart obedience classes? And if so, what was your experience? I started Nikko on the puppy class just a week after I got him when he was 10 weeks old, and continued on to the Intermediate class, and now we are in week 2 of the advanced class.

I really liked the first two classes, and I got a lot of great tools and information to help with training. I think it has been very beneficial to all of us. In the first class we learned sit, down, stand, stay and come. In the intermediate classes we learned how to loose leash walk and heal and he was able to stay for 3 minutes.

The advanced class I am finding is disappointing. I am actually kind of regretting taking it, because he is now 6 months old and can be an unruly teenager. I wish I would have waited a few more months. I also thought we would learn some new commands and tricks, but it seems like it is just to prepare to take the AKC good canine citizenship award. Also we cannot use treats or training collars in this class and I am finding that to be extremely difficult.

Yeah, sat about 6 months they can get sort of rambunctious. Don't know if that's a word, but my dad always told me I was a rambunctious kid. You might want to talk to the trainer, and see if you could retake the advanced class at a later date.

Sent from my HTC with forumrunner.

I’m sure about taking the whole class over again, but the trainer did say that if he did not pass the AKC test then we can re-take it and there would be no extra charge. I’m not really worried about that, it’s that we really don’t do anything in the class except review for the AKC test. I had thought there would be some additional training and tricks, so I feel like I paid 100 bucks to take a test! The trainer seems confident that we will pass, but I am not because there are some issues that we have to work on with Nikko, which is why I think I should have went with my original plan and wait until he was older to take this class, but the trainer convinced me to (of course!)

I was wondering if anyone else took their Husky to PetSmart obedience classes, and if they had the same experience. Like I said, the first two classes were very helpful, but this advanced class seems like a waste.

I took Suka to the beginner class just to see what he would know. Turns out he knew everything there...which was disappointing, but it was a great bonding experience! We never did take the 'test', though, because I thought getting a diploma was pretty silly.

And, FYI...Trainers at PetSmart get a commission whenever they persuade people to sign up to their classes, so maybe he's just trying to earn extra money by getting you to sign on.

And I've never heard of an AKC test...what is that?

Personally I would look at the training classes as an opportunity to practice... To be perfectly honest, you don't need somebody teaching you how to teach your dog tricks but I think having an environment like that to practice is a good thing. May feel like a waste - but realistically speaking, if you didn't have this environment, would you actually practice all these things regularly? And would you actually be able to provide a controlled environment with distractions?

I understand where you're dissatisfaction comes from, but there are good sides to that as well and if he is starting to become an unruly teenager, then this cannot be bad for him at all.

I took Suka to the beginner class just to see what he would know. Turns out he knew everything there...which was disappointing, but it was a great bonding experience! We never did take the 'test', though, because I thought getting a diploma was pretty silly.

And, FYI...Trainers at PetSmart get a commission whenever they persuade people to sign up to their classes, so maybe he's just trying to earn extra money by getting you to sign on.

And I've never heard of an AKC test...what is that?

The whole class is based on the AKC Canine Good Citizen Program (AKC's Canine Good Citizen® (CGC) Program), and according to our trainer is 100% through AKC, and not through PetSmart, although PetSmart gets the money from the class and uses their space and trainers for the classes.

I figured he would get commission, he is a nice guy and all, and we have learned a lot from the other classes but I felt kind of pressured to take the advanced class. Plus I did not think it would be just preparing for the test using all of the stuff we already learned, I thought there would be new things to learn.

On the flip side it is a great bonding and socialization experience.

Personally I would look at the training classes as an opportunity to practice... To be perfectly honest, you don't need somebody teaching you how to teach your dog tricks but I think having an environment like that to practice is a good thing. May feel like a waste - but realistically speaking, if you didn't have this environment, would you actually practice all these things regularly? And would you actually be able to provide a controlled environment with distractions?

I understand where you're dissatisfaction comes from, but there are good sides to that as well and if he is starting to become an unruly teenager, then this cannot be bad for him at all.

I actually thought that the first training classes taught me a lot on how to train my dog basic commands. Sure, I could have read about it and figured it out, but having someone show me what to do and what not to do, and having other dogs there as well was very useful for me.

Also, I practice training with him every day, so even if I did not go to anymore classes I would not stop the training. I don’t think I will ever stop training him. I always make him sit for treats and to eat, etc. The good thing with these classes is the other distractions and being socialized with the other dogs in the class.

I was just kind of disappointed so far with the advanced class, and wondering if anyone else took all of the classes at their PetSmart. I don’t know if this is a standard thing for all stores or this is unique.

I am also curious on everyone’s thoughts on training classes in general, and if you even took your dogs to a formal obedience class. There are so many options I was not sure which one to choose, such as a PetSmart/PetCo class, finding a private individual, or doing it myself.

I also think that the PetSmart trainers are not as experienced with Siberian Husky behaviors as they are with more common breeds. Sometimes I don’t think he realizes that Nikko is not a Lab or Retriever and that he can be VERY stubborn and independent.

We did take ours to obedience classes when he was around 9 months old, I have to admit I was slightly disappointed with them as most of the things the trainer wanted to teach we had already taught him. But I think the classes were invaluable in offering a controlled environment to practice everything and also being able to practice the commands with other dogs around.

We did that for a while, but after that we stopped as we didn't feel we were getting a lot for the money. But although we practice the commands everyday, it's still not the same thing. The classes meant that we had a scheduled time and place for training, that we had already paid for and wouldn't want to miss. Without the classes, it's easy to say we'll just have the training session later and end up never doing it for lack of time, laziness etc. Obviously, we've still progressed since we stopped going to the classes, but I think that it helps to have that structure. Plus, it's a nightmare to have to practice in the park/on the street - you never know where the distraction level will be at so it's a bit more difficult to plan your training gradually.

The way I see it, doing your training at home is like trying to teach yourself a language, for example. It's not that you can't do it, but most of the time it's much easier to do it if you go to classes and there's a different motivation as well. And of course, there is always that point where you just cannot progress on your own anymore. Granted, most dog owners don't usually need to worry about that but if you're doing some really advanced training...

In my opinion, hiring a private individual is often not worth it as it is quite expensive and unless you want to do something really advanced or your dog has behavioural issues, it just doesn't seem justified. But if I found a class that was cheap enough and accessible enough (no weird hours or location) I would definitely go for that.

The advanced class sounds boring for both of you. I hate when trainers expects dogs to work for free, I wouldn't! Going to class where you are both bored and struggling will hinder not help your training. I would be looking for classes elsewhere.

The advanced class sounds boring for both of you. I hate when trainers expects dogs to work for free, I wouldn't! Going to class where you are both bored and struggling will hinder not help your training. I would be looking for classes elsewhere.

Well, since I paid 100 bucks to take it I will just follow through with it. The thing is I don’t know how they can expect the dog to do stuff without treats, that is the only thing that motivates him!!

It has only been 2 classes and it is only a 6 week class, so I will see how it goes, maybe at the end I will have a different opinion.

Well, since I paid 100 bucks to take it I will just follow through with it. The thing is I don’t know how they can expect the dog to do stuff without treats, that is the only thing that motivates him!!

It has only been 2 classes and it is only a 6 week class, so I will see how it goes, maybe at the end I will have a different opinion.

A good trainer understands how rewards and motivation works, eliminating rewards all together is not setting the dog or handler up for success and honestly doesn't make much sense!

You've spent the $100 so you'll lose the money whether you go to the classes or not, it's up to you, but it's pointless if you aren't getting anything out of it and it's to the detriment of your relationship with your dog. The trainers should see your dog is struggling and if they can't get the best out of you and your dog it's not worth going - JMO :)

Jason - I found a trainer/behaviourist who was willing to work one-on-one with Ryn and I. He normally trains hunting dogs, but after meeting him, I decided to give him a try. I spent $160 for 8 sessions. Ryn didn't have any issues, I just wanted to give her the opportunity to expand her horizons. She got so excited each time we left home (I would ask if she was ready to go to school). She LOVED it. I loved it. And not only did the two of us learn something, but the trainer also learned about Sibes. It was a win-win situation.

Do some research because you may find a trainer willing to work with you one-on-one at or below what you've paid at this place. I was surprised, thought one-on-one would be more expensive.

There's much to be said about group sessions and what they offer your husky, but you can socialize in so many other places, IMO.

A good trainer understands how rewards and motivation works, eliminating rewards all together is not setting the dog or handler up for success and honestly doesn't make much sense!

You've spent the $100 so you'll lose the money whether you go to the classes or not, it's up to you, but it's pointless if you aren't getting anything out of it and it's to the detriment of your relationship with your dog. The trainers should see your dog is struggling and if they can't get the best out of you and your dog it's not worth going - JMO :)

I don’t understand the purpose of removing the treats either. It is interesting because the whole class and test is made by the American Kennel Club, and neither the trainer nor PetSmart can change anything about the restrictions on the test. Another issue is that when we go out, Nikko likes to pull when your walking him, so on the first day of puppy class the trainer had us get the prong-style training collars. I use it everytime I walk him, and he never pulls. It is a very helpful tool when he gets too excited. If I don’t use the collar I can barely hold him back. In the advanced class we cannot use those collars either, so that is another thing that kind of sucks.

I thought about just not going back, but that would be awkward because I go there all the time with him lol. And that trainer is always there too! So I will just stick it out, if nothing else we get to have them play with his buddies when we go and maybe we will learn a thing or two.

I understand. To be quite honest as far as the prong collar goes, it is a tool I also use on occassion. Used as a tool and knowing how to use it properly it can be a good thing. I used to get many comments and harsh looks when I first began using it - but again, it's a tool.

In fact, once the pup gets the message, you'll find that you'll use it less and less. Ryn's almost two and I very rarely use it anymore.

I like them as when used properly, they give a very quick and harmless correction. Others don't like them and cosider them cruel, but for Ryn and I, it worked quite well and I do consider myself a good husky owner and a reliable/responsible husky owner. I would never do anything to harm my girl. The pinch, to me, is just one more tool in my tool box.

What I discovered when looking into classes such as you're going to is that anyone that takes the companys course (not necessarily this particular company) is then dubbed a "trainer" and can run the classes. If that's the case, I can go to my trainer, go through it with him and then call myself a trainer and begin offering classes. But that's just my take and I'm sure the company would disagree.

My Petsmart training classes had a very different 'feeling' to them. Our trainer seemed to be completely against Siberians. He actually told us not to participate in classes where they would be working loose leash walking because "Siberians will never walk loose leash". He all but told us that Siberians are too dumb to train. All he wanted to do was sell us head halter leashes and other gimmicks that our boy just did not take to. I was very disappointed to say the very least, and the classes are WAAAAY over priced! After moving I found a local dog club that offered obedience classes and CGC trials for a quarter of the cost and none of the stress. Guess what, I have multiple obedient loose leash walking Siberians now thanks to them. Guess Siberians are capable of training.

Ugh when Viggo gets excited, my prong collar is a lifesaver. I can understand where you are coming from with that one. I actually never took Viggo to PetSmart for classes, but instead, enrolled him in a puppy class run by dog trainers in the Baltimore area. It was called Best Friend's Dog Obedience. After the puppy class, I signed up for the next advanced class. But I never went. Viggo was way tooo excitable on leash at that point. All he did was cry because he wanted to play with the other dogs. And in this class, interaction with other dogs was not allowed as some dogs were not friendly towards others on leash. So I lost some money, but just didn't feel like dealing with that every week. I never ended up going back as I was able to train him to walk OK on my own. Not perfect, but I can deal with it. He truly is good on leash, unless he sees a rabbit, then he wants to pull a lot, LOL.

My Petsmart training classes had a very different 'feeling' to them. Our trainer seemed to be completely against Siberians. He actually told us not to participate in classes where they would be working loose leash walking because "Siberians will never walk loose leash". He all but told us that Siberians are too dumb to train. All he wanted to do was sell us head halter leashes and other gimmicks that our boy just did not take to. I was very disappointed to say the very least, and the classes are WAAAAY over priced! After moving I found a local dog club that offered obedience classes and CGC trials for a quarter of the cost and none of the stress. Guess what, I have multiple obedient loose leash walking Siberians now thanks to them. Guess Siberians are capable of training.

If my trainer said that about my dog I would have went right to the manager and demanded a refund for the course! I have checked other places in the area as well, and the courses are comparably priced. I paid $99.00 for each class. There were all regularly 119 but I had $20 coupons for them.

First, I would have politely explained that "Yes, Siberians are too smart for most people!" to the first trainer!

(This isn't unusual, as I discovered when searching for a trainer. The first wouldn't accept us at all, the second said he could train them "good enough" ---------- The first got an earful, the second I simply told that "Good enough" isn't good enough for my girl! The third trainer was absolutely wonderful!