Puppy will only potty in Backyard

Eman

Hi All.

We've been potty training our new pup Bailey and she has been doing pretty good. I have noticed something a bit odd. She refuses to potty anywhere but in our backyard.

We take her out to other areas, parks, walks and give her ample time and space to do her business, but she will either wait till we get home, or pull to go home.

Is this normal? How do I start getting her to potty outside of our back yard?

You can just stand your ground and wait for her to stop pulling. Eventually she'll give up because pulling will get her no where.

I usually only let Jelly pee in the front/backyard but you can try training her and give her a command to pee/poo usually when I tell Jelly to go pee now she'll go outside and pee. So you could get Bailey to do the same thing as long as you give her the command, she'll go and treat afterwards/praise.

Either that or just don't let her pull or wait until she gives up pulling and pee.

Or just sit outside in some random patch of grass and wait xx minutes until she pees and then give her praise. :D ...

My Neo has only just started to wee out on walks he is now 11 months, he actually cocked his leg up for the first time yesterday...I got strange looks from OH I was so excited and praised him so much you would have thought he had pee'd gold, I'm just so proud my little man is growing up. Bailey will do it in her own time just give her lots of praise when she does.

Panda took a little while before he actually went potty on walks. My backyard is all paved so cement, he was so used to peeing/pooing on cement he only did it on the sidewalk for the first 3 weeks after taking him for a walk lol, it didnt help that he had somewhat soft stools during that period so it would stain the sidewalk and id need to bring water to wash it off haha.

He eventually went on the grass to do his business and got a ton of praise each time he did that instead of the sidewalk.

Eika mainly goes in the backyard, unless she's desperate for a poo (pee she will happily do anywhere now!) she will even not go at my mums house, she once went 24 hours without peeing or pooing, as we stayed the night...silly dog. Luckily she's a lot better now, she will at least pee, she will still not poo unless she really has to. Oh and she will be 4 in December.

Thanks everyone.

Good to know that its pretty normal. We tried to wait it out one day, but she just held it.

This potty training throws you for a loop... She can hold it when she is outside and waits to get home....

But not just after peeing, she has the occasional accident in the house.

Today was a bad day... about 4 pee's in the house. I dont think it has been this bad since the first 2 days we took her home. But we know she still a pup and try to watch her queues as much as possible.