Furminator - Worth The Money?

Dave

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Well considering both of my Husky boys hate them and freak out when I use it on them, I'd vote no. Works great on Mr. Bear (non-Husky) though. He loves being brushed. And the prongs actually clip his hair a tiny bit.

I prefer an undercoat rake for the Huskies. I just bought one and I love it. They still complain a little, but not nearly as much as they did with the furminator.

I love the furminator, and I've never had an issue with the brush removing too many guard hairs, or clipping them off altogether. Considering you can get furminators for £8.50 (including delivery) I think it's worth it :)

i vote no - hasn't don't kimba or kaiser's coat any good, their coat didn't feel smooth like it normally does after a few uses then i found out about it cutting the hairs on some coats, which i think is what it did to them - this was 2 yrs ago now so their coats are back to normal but i just used it for brusing the hairs up on the carpet lol

I got one and I definitely think it’s worth it. After using it I can tell a BIG difference. Nikko doesn’t really care for it though, so I can only do it while he’s sleepy or occupied. If you get it check amazon.com. It was half the price in the store.

I have one but I am in two minds about liking it. When I used it as my previous dog was terrified of it, she would literally run away. Saying that my boy now isn't fussed but I think it can be a little aggressive on the top coat breaking it off. I use it for the short fur mainly on his legs, which it works well, but use a rake else where. For £6 the rate works a treat :)

So I'm looking at possibly getting a furminator for Kodi, are they worth the cash?

We have 2 large ones and use them on all 4 of our dogs.I think they are great,the dogs don't mind them at all,and when they moult heavily they get so much undercoat out.Never had any problems with them,so my opinion is they are worth having definitely.!!

I have one but 1 ) the dogs don't like it as it snags & pulls their fur & 2 ) it did cut the guard hairs on Myshka so stopped using it straight away. I could hear the slicing noise when using it, it was quite alarming, so, Like Sarah, mine is used to de-fur the rug while I use a flat paddle brush and the Mikki anti-tangle undercoat rake on the dogs - no more grumbles & snagged fur! :D

post-143-13586051668854_thumb.jpg

post-143-13586051667179_thumb.jpg

I bought one for Blaze recently and he loves it! He used to run away from the ShedMonster I had bought, but now he just lays there and lets me brush him! He even kicks his leg when I get on his stomach! If you could see the amount of fur I got off of him, you wouldn't believe he has any left!

I just got my furminator in the mail a few days ago and it didn't take long for Jelly to get used to it. Well, I'm not sure if she was ever used to it -- I used an undercoat rake before and she still didn't seem to mind. She does mind when I used the furminator or her tail though. Everywhere else though -- it's pretty decent. I haven't noticed any guard hairs falling out though at least not yet.

And like someone before said -- Amazon sells for really cheap.

Whereas petsmart it's ~50$ and Amazon is 10-15$ (price changes everyday) with ~3$ shipping and I got it in about 3-4 business days :D.

• 1 month later...

I've recently been told that the furminator will damage the undercoat, is this true? I know it can cut a few of the guard hairs...I didn't have much luck with the undercoat rake tho Moro was much younger (under 8 months). He blew his coat partially between 10 & 11 months....and a normal little slicker would get some but I got nothing with the undercoat rake except from his tail...I've tried a furminator on him and it got a LOT of hair the rake wouldn't....but now I'm afraid it will damage his coat :( what is a mom to do lol

I've recently been told that the furminator will damage the undercoat, is this true? I know it can cut a few of the guard hairs...I didn't have much luck with the undercoat rake tho Moro was much younger (under 8 months). He blew his coat partially between 10 & 11 months....and a normal little slicker would get some but I got nothing with the undercoat rake except from his tail...I've tried a furminator on him and it got a LOT of hair the rake wouldn't....but now I'm afraid it will damage his coat :( what is a mom to do lol

I've been using the furminator on Kiska since she was a little puppy and her coat is lovely :) I've started using it on Freya too and her coat is taking it absolutely fine. I think the whole 'furminators damage the coat!' line that people are so quick to spread has stemmed from a minority of reviewers when the product was new who perhaps weren't using it properly and others who aren't using it properly, or people who's dogs have more brittle coats (maybe due to diet) see fur breaking off when using the product and blame the brush instead. Bandwagon :rolleyes: I'm not saying that's every case, but I really don't see the brush doing the damage people are so quick to say it does ;)

Furminators are a terrible idea for Siberians. They act as a blade and essentially cut the coat, which makes for the same problems presented by shaving the dog. We have one for the short coated cats, but will never use them on the dogs.

I'm not sure how you're using the brush to create that sort of action but I've been using the furminator for ages on both my dogs and that has never happened to either of them! :huh:

i have a regular slicker brush and gets off a lot of fur. i use it for now. i did however go ahead and buy a furminator and i plan on using it on luka when he blows his coat. i've skimmed it over him already and it's never cut his guard hairs. It's your preference, people will have their opinions, but don't let anyone make you feel like you're doing something wrong by using it. I also would def NOT compare it to shaving a husky. that's a little extreme.

i also am planning on buying an undercoat rake when i can find a decent one around here somewhere. luka sheds like a maniac so i'd like to have whole set of tools.

Edited by LittleLuka

maybe it depends on how thick the dogs fur is aswell ??

Maybe. Kiska's fur is really thick though and hers has always taken it without a problem - her fur is really tough and strong. Freya's fur is thinner but denser, and also takes it fine. I reckon it's down to the individual strength of the dog's hair - if it's brittle and weak it is likely to break off with the pulling of a brush like this as it does pull at the fur (it has to to get as much as it does out!) but it doesn't act like a set of clippers.

I've seen the damage to the coat on many animals including our own. We decided that we would either deal with the brushing the dogs with just a rake and slicker, or if we were insistent on using a furminator, we wouldn't have a breed with that couldn't be brushed with one.

I said it presents the same issues as shaving, not that you can shave a dog with the brush.