Furminator - Worth The Money?

Dave

Maybe. Kiska's fur is really thick though and hers has always taken it without a problem - her fur is really tough and strong. Freya's fur is thinner but denser' date=' and also takes it fine. I reckon it's down to the individual strength of the dog's hair - if it's brittle and weak it [i']is likely to break off with the pulling of a brush like this as it does pull at the fur (it has to to get as much as it does out!) but it doesn't act like a set of clippers.

true , i was thinking like say kiskas coat compared to skylas for example it might damage skylas more then it would kiska or freya as they are shorter haired

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I've seen the damage to the coat on many animals including our own. We decided that we would either deal with the brushing the dogs with just a rake and slicker, or if we were insistent on using a furminator, we wouldn't have a breed with that couldn't be brushed with one.

I said it presents the same issues as shaving, not that you can shave a dog with the brush.

we can agree to disagree. i do think that everyone's dog is different. what may work for me doesn't work for you and vice versa. i was just making sure people didn't feel like they were being bad owners if they decided to use one. :)

Furminators are a terrible idea for Siberians. They act as a blade and essentially cut the coat, which makes for the same problems presented by shaving the dog. We have one for the short coated cats, but will never use them on the dogs.

Ditto here. I have never seen any cut or broken hairs as a result of using a Furminator. In fact the brush is almost useless for guard hairs, but excellent as removing loose undercoat.

Like any tool, incorrect use or overuse can result in damage. The tool should be used lightly with short strokes to remove loose hair and prevent grabbing, not dug in and dragged hard, which can create a painful tugging (as with almost any brush), and that would most likely be when you'd start seeing hairs being damaged.

Because it's also a tool meant for heavy shedding I don't think it's appropriate for daily/frequent grooming, especially in non-blowout seasons. Because of the blades, overuse may in fact cause damage to the guard hairs over time, but you'd have to be grooming a lot for that, I would think. I've never had an issue!

I have one but I don't use to too much. It doesn't seem to pull on their guard hairs, however, I'm extremely careful when I brush them. I find that the thing fills up way too fast and it's more of a nuisance than using the anti-tangle brushes that most people are talking about. I like the anti-angle comb brushes, I find they do a better job and you don't have to worry about it getting clogged up by the oils in their coat.

Ive got a furminator and an undercoat rake for Diesel and i used to use the furminator but atm i prefer the rake. Not for any reason, just personal preference really :)

Furminator works fine for me and doesnt do any damage, rake works fine and doesnt do any damage...

To add my experience to the discussion, I have a large furminator and I'm not particularly impressed. Maybe I am using it incorrectly, but I don't quite see how a brush with such shallow teeth and fine gaps between teeth can possible get through a Husky coat. Maya has a very short coat, but the furminator is just skimming over the top and removing very little undercoat. Occasionaly it cuts guard hair and even the undercoat removed looks like it has been cut through instead of removing the full length hair I get when I pluck using my fingers or use a standard rake.

Maya is blowing now (after blowing all thru March) - don't know why? I use a rake with approx 1" teeth and it fetches loads out. I guess, taking technique out of the equation, it must be that different coats need different types of brushes, but when the furminator failed on Maya I wasn't suprised as logically I cannot see how a brush of this design can work. How can it get right into a thick coat?

Having said that I accept that some people get on very well with them. I'd advise someone to try and borrow a friend's before splashing the cash on one.

I'm not sure how you're using the brush to create that sort of action but I've been using the furminator for ages on both my dogs and that has never happened to either of them! :huh:

Completely agree with you.We have used them on our 4 huskies for the last 3 years and in my experience they have never shaved or cut the coat.I would highly recommend them,I

don't think much works better when they are blowing their coats.There may be similar products available to buy,but don't think they would do any better a job.Thats my opinion anyway!:)

I have one.

Please, please do not use this on a short -haired dog. It is a nasty brush! It is okay on dogs that have not been groomed in a long time, or that have troublesome fur - otherwise, do not use it! You have been warned!:P

Works great on a pug - can't think of much shorter hair than that!

It's definitely not for daily/regular grooming, that's for sure, though.

We have found it works great on Micah with her shorter/sleeker coat, but not on Ozzy who has a denser/thicker undercoat, and the fact that he hates it. I only use it when Micah is blowing her coat, and use the Mikki Anti Tangle rake for daily grooming.

im still a bit of a rookie but what are the "guard hairs"? i think i have just learned the meaning of blowing the coat because merlin who what i thought shed a ton normally is now losing hair in clumps especially from his back legs.

when i comb him now i seem to be getting like 5 times more hair out and it all seems to be under coat. i can almost pull clumps out with my hand and have been worried but from what im finding out this is normal???

how long does blowing the coat last? he has been doing it for about a week now. im just using a regular brush with black hair type bristles on 1 side and what seem to be plastic rake type bristles on the other.

im still a bit of a rookie but what are the "guard hairs"? i think i have just learned the meaning of blowing the coat because merlin who what i thought shed a ton normally is now losing hair in clumps especially from his back legs.

Huskies have a dual coat - the soft, downy undercoat (that's what's mostly coming out in your brushing and what can pull out in big fluffy clumps) and the stiffer, longer coloured hairs of the topcoat, which are commonly called guard hairs. The under coat is the insulation, while the topcoat provides the more durable surface protection.

when i comb him now i seem to be getting like 5 times more hair out and it all seems to be under coat. i can almost pull clumps out with my hand and have been worried but from what im finding out this is normal???

Yep, you're just experiencing the seasonal blow out. They'll typically do this twice a year - once to get rid of their winter coat (what you're seeing now) and once to get rid of the summer coat (slightly less hair!). It lets loose in those massive clumps that you can just pull out with your hands, and if you don't brush them they end up looking like they have some odd form of mange, LOL!

how long does blowing the coat last? he has been doing it for about a week now. im just using a regular brush with black hair type bristles on 1 side and what seem to be plastic rake type bristles on the other.

Usually I find that it's over in a couple of weeks - especially with regular brushing to help get it all out faster. But this year Wyatt has been blowing his coat for over a month now - I just brushed him again today and couldn't believe how much came off - more than twice as much as I got off Scout!

Your thread title asked whether or not the 'F' is worth the money. It can, and has been bought by several folk on here for less than a tenner so monetry 'worth' isn't really the issue. The real issue is, does it work? That, my friend, is a matter of opinion. For some it is 'a God send', for others it is okay, and for some it is not to be used. I have 3 dogs and will only use it on one - occasionally.

I am quite happy to post you mine to borrow, providing you post it back!

I've been using the furminator on Kiska since she was a little puppy and her coat is lovely :) I've started using it on Freya too and her coat is taking it absolutely fine. I think the whole 'furminators damage the coat!' line that people are so quick to spread has stemmed from a minority of reviewers when the product was new who perhaps weren't using it properly and others who aren't using it properly' date=' or people who's dogs have more brittle coats (maybe due to diet) see fur breaking off when using the product and blame the brush instead. Bandwagon :rolleyes: I'm not saying that's every case, but I really don't see the brush doing the damage people are so quick to say it does ;)[/quote']

I used it on Myshka who has a very sleek coat - it cut the guard hairs quite noticeably. It wouldn't even go near Diesel's thick fur. so I'm not jumping on a bandwagon, I'm speaking from experience - but each to their own

i think each dog is different as has already been said - the one i had i've now given away but it ruined Kimba's coat, but was ok on kaiser's as his fur and guard hairs are shorter, it made kimba's fur really rough and the edges of the hairs curled :S

I used it most funnily enough on my stairs LOL it's great at getting the fur up from carpets

I used it most funnily enough on my stairs LOL it's great at getting the fur up from carpets

Haha, I do that with my bot block! It's a block of some type of stone used to take bot eggs off a horse's legs, but it also works great for removing shedding guard hairs on both cats and dogs, and is excellent for cleaning hair off of furniture! :P

• 3 weeks later...

i think each dog is different as has already been said - the one i had i've now given away but it ruined Kimba's coat, but was ok on kaiser's as his fur and guard hairs are shorter, it made kimba's fur really rough and the edges of the hairs curled :S

I think there's different sized furminators

But same thing happens with me. Hairs get corse and curl.

I use it on the finer hairs (on the feet, legs, forehead etc.)

I use the oater shedzilla on the back and neck and tail