I think i will ahve to give up nova :( Extreme bad times

PixWorx

basically me and my partner now work full time . me 9-6 and my partner 12 - 7 and for now my mother has been looking after her . but a problem arisen yesterday where apparently nova pinned down my brothers dog Frank * very large German Shepard puppy * bigger than nova... and aprently she wouldn't let him go .. after he submitted so my mom pulled nova off using the handle on her K9 and apparently turn round to my mom and went for her . now my moms to nervous to have her and i have no other option what do you guys think i should do ?

pulling the harness handle or collar sets a lot of dogs off =\ are you sure she's not pinning down Frank just because it's part of the wrestling game? Any damage done to your mom or Frank?

EDIT: roughly, I still can see this working. You can take her for a super long morning walk and then drop her off at your mom's. Any chance of going home at lunch break? If yes, you can come and check on her. Maybe you can do some tricks training or other mental exercise during this time. Then, you're back to work. Then you arrived home at somewhere around 6. Dinnertime for both the humans and Nova, and then a night walk. Will be tiring for sure but it's still working IMO <I'm just a teenager living in my parents' house.. so everything seems workable for me x)>

Edited by mydiamond

unfortunately i work about 1.30hours from my moms and i don't drive -_- also we have 18 month old son that we have to consider with getting etc also i take he rout for a 15min walk in the morning i have to be up at 6 - 630 .. =[ and i am non stop till about 5 -6 so after 12 hours u tend to get bit knackered and also at night me and my partner take it in turns to take her for a long walk on the evening . i dont think walks are the problem it my moms nervousness that she gonna bite her .. :/ but novas not like that she gone for me once ages ago but that's cause she was hyped up and i dealt with it and she has never done it again

Edited by PixWorx
spelling .

unfortunately i work about 1.30hours from my moms and i don't drive -_- also we have 18 month old son that we have to consider with getting etc also i take he rout for a 15min walk in the morning i have to be up at 6 - 630 .. =[ and i am non stop till about 5 -6 so after 12 hours u tend to get bit knackered and also at night me and my partner take it in turns to take her for a long walk on the evening . i dont think walks are the problem it my moms nervousness that she gonna bite her .. :/ but novas not like that she gone for me once ages ago but that's cause she was hyped up and i dealt with it and she has never done it again

describe how did she "went at" your mom... teeth bared? hackles raised? growling? or a simple, quick nip that was instantly released? it might just be a warning bite. Warning bites don't indicate aggressiveness, it was just a "HEY! I don't like that!" in dog language. Anyone can feel annoyed, even dogs :) there are just some times where you had enough and need to yell at that annoying thing

Honestly, I doubt they were fighting. Nova was probably just telling the puppy who is boss. If you guys would have left it alone, you probably would not have had this issue? Are either of your dogs fixed? If they're not, do it. Guarantee the pining of the other dog would go away.

Janet what do you mean by fixed? and diamond it probably was, i agree with you but my mom is really wary of dogs :/ even though frank Is mouthing but that doesn't bother her .

fixed means neutered or spayed ;) is there anyone else that can take care of Nova beside your mom? preferably someone who understands dog's body language :) or better yet... where are you located? someone who lives near might be able to lend a hand ;)

basically me and my partner now work full time . me 9-6 and my partner 12 - 7 and for now my mother has been looking after her . but a problem arisen yesterday where apparently nova pinned down my brothers dog Frank * very large German Shepard puppy * bigger than nova... and aprently she wouldn't let him go .. after he submitted so my mom pulled nova off using the handle on her K9 and apparently turn round to my mom and went for her . now my moms to nervous to have her and i have no other option what do you guys think i should do ?

ok. stop panicking for a bit. collar grabbing makes a lot of dogs nervous. if your mum was another dog she would go for the throat. thats why.

my two play rough and i do mean rough. my poor boy ends up pinned to the floor by his throat and i have to command angel to go easy.

and she makes an awful growling noise. mine are taught to stop playing as soon as human contact is there ie an arm inbetween them.

how old is nova? maybe if you got her a muzzle your mum would still have her??

obviously its difficult to comment without actually seeing what happened

but does sound like typical husky play to me

would it help maybe to show your Mum some videos of huskies playing,might help reassure her that Nova wasn't doing anything wrong:)

As for her going for your Mum,again maybe that was 'a sharp turn of the head' more a warning that she didnt like it??

I hope you can manage to sort this out without having to think about rehoming Nova

good luck

Hi, how old is Nova? 15 minutes walk in the morning may be a little short. If your mother is afraid of Nova now give her a muzzle. When two dogs play it may seem rough but that's just the way they do it. Would it be possible to have her crate-trained and maybe that way she could spend her time at your mom's?

There are also usually young people in need of a part time job, you could ask to do the walks for you. Try and give out an ad.

I am but a student but my Monday schedule was from 8am-2pm. Even though I was hungry every time I came home, Ghost was my priority numero uno so I'd just grab an apple or nothing most of the times and went out with Ghost and I probably will practice it even when I'm away longer. Then I would make food for myself.

Buy Nova toys that will keep her busy at your mother's (watch out for possesion, then I'd say no?). Good luck.

How old is Nova? Could you possibly take him on a longer walk in the morning? I know it could be hard since you get up really early in the morning.

The point of the longer walk is to tire him out, so he's resting as opposed to playing. That will depend on Nova as well, Panda is 6 months, i can take him on a 30min walk in fairly hot weather, given there isn't another dog he will gladly sleep, if there is he can play for hours!!

Crate training could be something to look into if he isn't already. I work 12-8, so for most part of the day he is in the crate, i don't want to but there's no other choice. Occasionally i get someone to go home half day to let him out etc.