Would you personally use this for a kennel?

Stephii95

So, we've been trying to find a nice big kennel for Miya since she's expected to grow quite large, and while we were looking we stumbled upon this...

post-7980-13586053474185_thumb.jpg

If you don't know, its a chicken coop. It's quite large at 1470Lx800Wx800mmH and where the wood is sticking up we'd either remove the wood or place flat mattresses to make it more comfortable (she's a spoilt one :P).

So from a personal opinion, would u buy this for your Sibe?

It would also be big enough that if she got a friend in the future, they could both fit :)

post-7980-13586053473796_thumb.jpg

It's lovely, but be aware that Siberians tend to eat dog houses - or almost anything else made of wood they're left with! in a situation like that, particularly while young. My guys have wooden pallets in their kennel runs, and they (like the dog houses they had at our previous home) are fairly routinely moved around and chewed on...

It's lovely, but be aware that Siberians tend to eat dog houses - or almost anything else made of wood they're left with! in a situation like that, particularly while young. My guys have wooden pallets in their kennel runs, and they (like the dog houses they had at our previous home) are fairly routinely moved around and chewed on...

<< laughing >> [MENTION=1869]sutsibe[/MENTION] - Yeh, tell me about it!! Avalanche's gradually eating my porch!!! While boredom may be part of it - he lays out there during the heat of the day - I also think it's just the tendency of some dogs to chew. (( it's a sheet of plywood, laid onto an oil pipe frame - if he starts on the pipe I'll get worried! ))

@Stephii95 does the 1470 include the laying area to the left in the picture? I'd take that off, close off the second (right side) door; then you're looking at a (excuse me while I translate to English) 4w x 2.5l X 2.5h foot box, easily big enough for one but it might be a bit cramped for two. The roof isn't at too much of a slope so he / they could get up there - and believe me, they will! Depending on your temps the fact that the lip flips back could be an advantage since you could prop it part way open to alleviate heat build up in the summer. Were that my design for dogs, I'd add some sort of a shaded area to the front so they have the interior to escape into when the weather is bad and shade to lounge in when it's just "warm".

<< giving me some ides here, thank you >>

<< laughing >> @sutsibe - Yeh, tell me about it!! Avalanche's gradually eating my porch!!! While boredom may be part of it - he lays out there during the heat of the day - I also think it's just the tendency of some dogs to chew. (( it's a sheet of plywood, laid onto an oil pipe frame - if he starts on the pipe I'll get worried! ))

LOL, mine like to pull the plastic trim off the area around the dog door openings between the inside and outside kennels - and sometimes the aluminum trim from around the outside (as well as munching on the wood parts)! So far, however, they haven't started chewing the kennel panels themselves...... :rolleyes:

Luka has so far chewed the corner off my cabinet in the kitchen, my dresser drawer (most upset about that), and the crown around my bathroom floor. :( i will never put him around wood again!!!! lol i would just hate you to spend all that money and they destroy it. i guess it just depends if your dog is a chewer or not.

Is this something just for them to hang out in or are you expecting it to be secure ? How would you expect it to keep them contained? Two of ours have broken out of regular crates, and last week Jessy had the wire from the crate pulled out and it impaled her paw. Came home to the boys barking and she was screaming in pain, and we have no idea how long she was like that. Only one drop of blood, but she continues to lick it. Her limping has stopped, and she seems okay, so we have not gone to the vet...

Thanks for the replies guys :)

Well, Miya is definitely a chewer but I think she might have had a bad experience with chewing wood because I've noticed she tends to leave wooden things alone now...

@Al Jones I'm almost certain that the measurements I gave do include the little box as well but the house is still pretty big without it. As for the climbing, or jumping, believe me, I know. To deal with that I'd put it against a brick wall of the neighboring houses garage which is definitely too high for even a Husky to jump :) and a little veranda will be added to the front

@HuskyHijinx I'm glad Jessy seems okay :)well I definitely don't know if it'll be used to keep her contained unless we connect one of the doors to a wired area which is safe but also gives her some access to outside, but its mostly for her to just go in, sleep, relax, play with her toys, etc.