Got a husky puppy and just found out Im prego =S

KayBear

So my boyfriend and I were so excited and ready for our husky puppy. I was ready for the challenge then I found out I am pregnant. I am torn because I know what needs to happen for the best interest of the puppy and my sanity but my boyfriend doesnt get it. He thinks I just want to give up on the puppy. I dont at all and pretty much feel like a failure wanting to find him a new home but I know I wont be able to give him the time and energy needed to keep him happy and trained properly. Its already getting hard on me with me being so tired and not feeling well most of the time and its only going to get worse once the baby gets here. I just wish I would have known before getting him so neither of us would be in this situation. Now Im going to be freaking out trying to find someone to take him but being unbelieveably picky and worried hes going to go to the wrong person. So I guess I need more help convincing my boyfriend and maybe someone here knows a great person close to my area (Kansas City,KS) that might want to adopt a beautiful 3 month old male sibe =(

That has got to be a difficult decision to make. When I got Nikko I was pretty exhausted for the first couple months and thought I made a huge mistake. If you can handle the first couple of months, it DOES get better! Nikko is almost 7 months and is A LOT better than he was at 3 months!

I wish I were closer to you because I have been looking for a companion for Nikko!

Having a puppy and a baby at the same time is not impossible, though I've never done it so can't offer any advice on that subject. However if you do decide to rehome your puppy I would first suggest contacting the breeder - any good breeder will happily take the puppy back and find it a new home.

Puppies are always exhausting, but as every day goes by Luka is better behaved. To be perfectly honest this is a great experience for what youre going to be dealing with when your baby is born. In some ways puppies are like babies. You have to feed them, clean up after them, bathe them, watch them, and get up constantly through the night with them. If giving him up is the right thing for you to do then i hope you find a great home.

Being male I can’t imagine what your going though lol, however I agree that with every day it will get easier with your puppy. I am not sure how far along you are, but if it’s going to be like 6 months away before the baby is born, then the pup will be 9 months old and he will be much easier to care for. Is your boyfriend willing to help out more with him, take him for extra walks, etc??

Having a puppy and a baby at once is not impossible.

I have 5 children, with my youngest being 8 months old at present. All 5 of them are under 12, and my last pregnancy was anything but easy. If you'd like to consider keeping him then let me know and I'll give you some hints and tips for surviving pregnancy, and the 2 months after birth (you won't likely be sleeping much until then so it will all be a blur anyway).

If your mind is made up however, I'd suggest contacting a Siberian rescue, and making a free to good home post here. Include pictures, age..if you got him from a breeder please include that you have contacted the breeder and they're unwilling to take him back. Where is he at with his shots? Has he had any sociailization? What training has been done with him so far? Is he crate trained? How's his potty training going?

It's work. It can be done and we're here to help in whatever way we can. Barring that, please contact your breeder. Most will take a pup back for whatever reason. Or as Steph suggested, post up a free ad and be prepared for many questions about the pup and above all, don't be afraid to ask just as many questions about those who might be interested in him.

Well hearing whats been said I feel horrible for thinking of finding a new home lol. This is my first pregnancy so not knowing what to expect with this and then knowing how much the puppy needs I just figured that rehoming was the best bet for him. I work from home so potty training has been going pretty well. Just last night he actually scratched at the door to be let out, I was so proud lol. He is crate trained for night time, I havent had him in it other than for when we are going to bed and does very well. Normally sleeps through the night and no crying while hes in there. He is always baby gated in the front room and does well being alone while I work. I think the only issues we are still struggling with are biting and chasing my cats. I planned to give it more time to see if things start getting easier but wanted to know if I was doing the right thing for him and not being selfish. He is due for his 3rd set of shots this week.

I know that none of us mean to make you feel horrible. That's not what the forum is about.

You hadn't mentioned before that you have cats. Nip that chasing of them in the bud quickly! Many will say that huskies and cats are not a good mix as the huskies prey drive is inheritantly high. I have to agree though my husky and cat are friends (But may God be with any other cats that cross her path!) Be sure the pup understands that the cats are "MINE" (yours) and that harassing them or chasing them or putting teeth on them is an inappropriate behaviour. Start that lesson now or you'll end up with a problem, IMHO.

My girl is now two and when she came into the home, I had a cat. (Kit has claws in order that she may protect herself) The first cat passed and I got another and had to retrain the husky. It was hard work, but the two are best buds and yes, Kit does get chased and mouthed (and will even 'tattle' when she fells shes getting the worst end of things). I have only recently begun to allow the husky and cat out and having free roam of our home when I am away. We've only had one incident - OH came home to find the cat tree knocked down and the dog bed against the door. Apparently they had a wonderful play date while we were away.

Do have a special place that the cats can get to where the husky cannot. (And watch the litter box - kitty 'treats' are normally considered noms and can create some very bad problems in the husky -- think 'clumping litter' in the stomach.)

You're gunna be tired through this....make sure you're eating right....

The first 4 months of pregnancy are pretty tiring...then you'll have a period where you have more energy...use it. Exercise regularly...walk your puppy regularly....it's so much easier to loose baby weight if you stay active within the parameters given to you by your doc throughout it.

I agree with [MENTION=53]Austinville[/MENTION] re:the cats...I don't have any experience with cats and Huskies, as cats make my eyes swell shut and inhibit my breathing ability.

No ones trying to make you feel bad, we're just trying to let you know that if you want to pursue keeping your furbaby it can be done. Check out doggonesafe.com for some tips on preparing your home and your pup for a new baby.

Just so you know how much can be done, Steph...aka Fox, Tink & Eponine drove from Wisconsin to Iowa, preggers, with 2 huskies and 4 kids and camped in a tent for the weekend, then drove home! You'll be amazed at what you can accomplish when you let it happen!!!

Hes always confined to our living room by a baby gate so he never roams the house. The cats can get in and out of the living room as they please with the rest of the house being exclusively theirs. I have been trying to teach him leave it among other things to stop chasing the cats, it works about 40% of the time for only a minute at the most. Only one of my cats is willing to smack him but he thinks thats a game. She must have missed him every time because I know she has her claws out, my arm is marked up to prove it lol. I was trying to get his paws off the couch while she was there, missed the dog but got me. Anyway, I will do my best to keep up with him and give him what he needs. Like I said, I just wanted to make sure I wasnt being selfish by wanting to keep him. Hopefully I can get the bitint and cat chasing under control quickly

Biting isn't that hard to control. At first when i told Luka to stop he ignored me, but then i started ignoring him when he did it. He learned that when he bites me i leave him alone and that he doesnt like. Now a firm NO makes him stop. The only time i have him biting is when he gets the zoomies and i try to stay out his way anyways. lol Just make sure when he behaves you give him plenty of praise. Luka loves being told he's a good boy.

By the way, I know none of you were trying to make me feel bad in anyway. I just thought thats what would be best for him and to hear differently was a relief because I want to keep him but at the same time I was upset at myself for thinking he needed to go.

you have had a lot of good advice here...

i can see where you are coming from as i wouldnt take on a puppy now (im 5 and a half months pregnant)

i have three dogs at the moment but i really dont know if i could handle a puppy AND a newborn

the baby would be my first priority and puppies are hard work!!!!!!

good luck and stay on the forum for any help/advice you might need...

the people on here are awesome and very knowledgable!!!!

oh and pix please.....we all love a puppy!!!

Good luck with the puppy and baby!

I think that the first few months with my pup were very hard! Like I said he is 7 months now and so much better than when I got him. He is still biting, so I am trying to get that under control. My pup is VERY stubborn! He is currently in the advanced training classes at PetSmart, and I think those helped out a lot. It took me like 2 months to potty train him though, and he had bad separation anxiety.

In my experience, the more tired he is, the better behaved he is lol. On weekends when I am always exercising him he plops down on the floor and sleeps all evening!

I hope all works out for you, baby and pup!! You can do it, I don't have kids but I do have a zoo in my house :):) they stress me out but they are worth it lol
when I got my pup he thought the cat was brilliant to chase but luckily my cat is the king and runs away from nothing... For the first few weeks it was constantly at each other but at the moment it tends to be the cat that stalks and pounces on poor Meeko, :)

I have a small child, four huskyballs and two cats! It can be done if you really want it. It won't be easy, but all the training and hard work will definitely be worth it in the end. For your later stages in pregnancy and also for your first couple months with the baby I suggest that you look into getting a pet walker or pet sitter than can come and help you for a little bit. For the cat issue, I did leash training with my dogs, they were attached to me inside the house around the cat. I was very hard on them the first couple of weeks with scolding them and sending them to their kennel for a time out if they got aggressive with the cats. I rewarded them with tasty treats for positive behavior. They soon caught on, but it takes persistence.
Good luck and congrats on the upcoming baby! Hope everything works out for you :)

[attachment=49849:46074.attach]

Not having kids of my own...other than my furbabies, i probably cant add much to whats been said.

Being an animal lover myself, if i had just got a pup and found out i was pregnant i would probably of acted the same. especially if he was already 3 months.

The first year is probably the hardest with a pup, but as they get older they defo get easier. being that you work from home is a massive bonus, this will help reduce the amount of time you will need to find to take care of him, and train him, as you will behome most the time the training will just happen rather than "set times a day".

If you have a back garden, and this is by no means an alternative, but more a helping hand, you can let your boy loose in there a couple of times a day, if you feel you wont be able to take him for a walk.

I aim to take my dogs out twice a day, but if i cant do that one day they go out in the garden for an hour with their toys, and they just run wild lol

if i miss a day because of work commitments or because of something i couldnt help, they get 5 min walk round block before bed then they go for an extra long walk the next day.

You will get to know your pup, and know whats best for him.

on those nights that your new born wont sleep, you could go for a walk with your husky and baby, or sit with him downstairs while feeding your newborn.

i am just throwing random ideas around now, generally have no idea how to cope with kids and pups lol

good luck though, and keep us updated :) x