Extremely happy with new vets

Stranger

As some of you will know, Parker needed to visit the vets yesterday, and as I suspected he had an ear infection.

The new vets was AMAZING. When I phoned them up for an appointment, I explained to them that at our previous vets Parker was extremely nervous and wouldn’t let people look into his ears, and that both boys would hide in the corners away from the vets.

The asked if they would need a muzzle, but I ensured them he was not aggressive and if I felt he was getting to agitated then I would say.

They arranged an appointment for when it would be quiet so that the waiting room was quiet, they also said that if it helped I could wait in the car park and the vet would come a get me.

Well we turned up, and I was annoyingly nervous and knew it wouldn’t help Parker, we sat and waited, which was literally seconds.

The vet came out, and asked for Parker, I stood up and she started acting all excited….i guess to make him feel better and more welcome rather than “Nextâ€.

He ran towards her for attention, as they do, and instead of her fussing over him she just let him smell her and figure her out. We went into the room, and I let him loose, and we both “ignored†him while he looked round.

I explained I was a little nervous which doesn’t help, so we started talking about Parker, how old he was where we got him from, basically taking my mind off the fact that I was worried Parker would not like it there.

Then we knelt down with treats in hand and she just kept fussing over him, making him sit, and lie. She held a treat in front of his face and moved it around so she could look at his face without touching him. He was really relaxed and seemed to like her. So much so that she managed to get a very quick look in his ear.

We also by the sounds of it see the same vet every time we come.

To say I was impressed was an understatement.

Good thing is everytime I visit the vets, doesn’t mean I take a big step back on the training with Kaiden and Parker. So I will not be wasting my time.

:clap:

Good deal! I'd have the records transferred and not look back. Both ours like our vet. He and his staff are very accommodating, they get down on the floor, make over the dogs. It's really how all vets should be. Glad you seem to have found a great vet!

WOW now that's what I call service :) some people are made to be vets and are very devoted.. looks like you found one..

Indi is my one who hates the vets and has to be mussled when she goes in.. the only vet she liked was an emergency vet we saw late at night who spoke to her in this big soft voice and spoke to her and not us first and that seemed to settle her she never needed a mussle and had blood tests and everything :) but then she was dressed in blue and our vets all wear green and I think this was another thing... so need to find a vet who wears blue!!!

wow! A vet who listens to the pet! There's a novelty these days! Although I must say, none of mine are fazed by the vets for anything (in fact, when Mysh goes, she sits in the waiting room singing to everyone! :rolleyes: ) but to hear one takes time to let the dog feel settled is a rare treat

Edited by Val (Zebedee)

its brill to find a great vet isn't it!

we've just moved so i went to the local vets tonight to register and got a really warm welcome off them, everyone was really friendly, no-one jumped forward to hug the dogs just let them do what they wanted and remarked how well behaved they all were (i know!) especially when they all got on the scales one by one and sat patiently for the beep! It was so relaxed in there, so different to our last place :)

turns out too that our new vet is Steve Leonard off the telly!

turns out too that our new vet is Steve Leonard off the telly!

just watched a series on him when he went to work in S Africa with wildlife, followed him since that vet school programme where he made his name. At least you know you are in safe hands there

just watched a series on him when he went to work in S Africa with wildlife, followed him since that vet school programme where he made his name. At least you know you are in safe hands there

must admit it's going to be such a chore going to see him ;) lol

What a relief for you and I am really pleased for you. A good friendly vet is worth their weight in gold. Moral of this story is never stick with a vet if you are not satisfied. It is a personal bug bear when you go to a vet for a series of treatments and you don't get to see the same vet as well.