What size crate do you have?

sharloid

We have a huuuuuuuge crate for Broder and I'm wondering if we could get away with a smaller one. I'm hoping to get a new kitchen soon and there's no way this one will fit if we want a dining table!

What size do you use? Do you have a smaller one for the car/travel?

2012-04-05215508.jpg

2012-04-05215554.jpg

Told you it was huge. :P

How big is that crate?

Other members have said that a divider is good when the dog is small as they like a 'den' which is a suitable size. As they grow, you move the divider to make their part of the crate larger. This saves buying larger & larger crates. Doesn't solve your problem with the dining table though

We have 3 x 36" crates and they are fine with them. They are actually built underneith our worksurfaces in the kicthen, an idea we got from Mum & Dad (Dunc & Susan on here)

That crate is definitely too big! It only needs to be big enough for the dog to stand up, lie down and turn around comfortably. That looks at least double as big as you need. Measure your dog's height and length and I can tell you the size you need (we make and sell dog crates).

Both of ours have the biggest crate I could find, but they both had smaller crates when they were younger/smaller.

• Fox likes to stretch out in his so having a larger one allows him to go into sprawl mode.
  • Eponine tips over her water when she's annoyed...she hates getting wet so if we're not home she'll curl into the corner of her crate that she didn't get wet

Smaller will be better for now, but when it comes to long car trips, family vacations, etc...think of it like this: How much leg room do YOU want?

That crate might be a tad big!;):D You could definitely get away with a smaller crate. I have two metal crates that are 42" and 1 plastic crate that is 40"(I think). The plastic crate gets used by my fosters and is just right. I don't crate Sid unless I have to and Bella has a pen that I keep her in instead of a crate. I have 3- 36"x22"x26" canvas travel crates that I use when I'm on the road or transporting a foster.

I have a 48 inch crate, Mishka isn't a big dog (you met her at St Helens). I don't think Broder is any bigger than her.

Tango my smaller Border Collie (about same size as Mishka) sleeps in it with her but there's room for my larger Border Collie as well if I need to get them all out of the way (workmen)

You'd definitely get away with a smaller crate for in the house, as Mishka is in hers while I'm in work, I wanted a larger one so she'd have more room. Mine takes up one corner of my lounge in my flat:lolman:

• 1 month later...

sorry to thread jack... but when do you move the dividers? I've got a 48 now... divided directly in half. Our furbaby tends to like to go into sprawl mode, but she cant quite do it now with the divider... should i just give her the whole crate now? She's only 18 weeks.

sorry to thread jack... but when do you move the dividers? I've got a 48 now... divided directly in half. Our furbaby tends to like to go into sprawl mode, but she cant quite do it now with the divider... should i just give her the whole crate now? She's only 18 weeks.

You can remove the divider as soon as she's toilet trained.

As far as I'm concerned, the more room they have the better ;):D