Hair every where!! HELP!!

Kathirin

So Klous is shedding up a storm. I mean its EVERYWHERE. All over the floor the furniture and my clothes. I have to sweep/mop/dust like 20x a day. If i pet him it falls off him like snow falls outa the sky in winter. He'll come up and want some hugs or want to play and it will get all over and i mean ALL OVER my clothes. I bought the furminator and i been using it almost everyday but i havent really noticed a change. Any ideas on what i can do to help reduce his shedding? Also any idea what i can use to help remove the dog hair on clothes. I feel like even after i wash them there is still some on there.

Thanx:)

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

They blow their coat two times a year, one for the start of winter, and for summer.

They'll always shed no matter what year it is, but those are the worse.

I heard it's a lot, my cat is shedding bad as well. I just gave him a bath and I kept brushing him.

Try a better vacuum, too, like the bissle (misspelled probably) one, I hear it has a part that you can suck the fur from your dog, too!

I give him a bath once a month. I was told not to bathe him too much. Should i be doing it more often then once a month?

That really is too much to be honest. A dog only needs bathing if it gets dirty or smelly. There's no need for regular baths ;) So, I'd suggest bathing him less (this might reduce the shedding, as bathing encourages shedding), but if you want to have a good go at getting a lot of the hair out give him a bath now, dry him off and give him a really good, long brush. Then stop bathing for a while! :P

Lint rollers for the furniture and clothes. I go through 2 a month when my four fur kids blow their coats. Other than that you just have to consistently brush them to get the worst of it removed in a controlled area rather than on your clothes, furniture....etc. Mine all blow their coats at slightly different times. One will be just done and the other will be starting so you never know exactly when its going to happen.

So Klous is shedding up a storm. I mean its EVERYWHERE. All over the floor the furniture and my clothes. I have to sweep/mop/dust like 20x a day. If i pet him it falls off him like snow falls outa the sky in winter. He'll come up and want some hugs or want to play and it will get all over and i mean ALL OVER my clothes. I bought the furminator and i been using it almost everyday but i havent really noticed a change. Any ideas on what i can do to help reduce his shedding? Also any idea what i can use to help remove the dog hair on clothes. I feel like even after i wash them there is still some on there.

Thanx:)

I would suggest purchasing light coloured clothing lol :P ... there's not much you can do. You will also probably go through insane amounts of lint rollers, they can be really helpful in removing hair off dark coloured bedding and clothing.

If you bathe a bit more often (wouldn't recommend too often though, we bathe ours once a month, mainly because he starts to stink by that time), more hair will come off - conditioner can really loosen the undercoat up and get rid of a lot of it.

Some people use professional dog blow dryers, apparently they are really good in removing the undercoat. They can be a bit costly, however and would not recommend using one inside the house.

A helpful tool would be an undercoat rake - as the name suggests, it just takes the undercoat away in big chunks. We have one and it's helpful when ours is shedding (pretty much 6 months of the year), as usual, all brushing should be done outside to avoid getting more hair in the house. Have never tried the furminator so have no idea how effective it is, but the rake has been pretty good for us.

Although I was serious about light coloured clothing, there is absolutely no way to get all the hair off dark clothes and you'll find you have to take lint rollers with you everywhere - if you use them in the house, new hairs flying in the air will stick to your clothes before you get the chance to leave. We also gave up dark coloured bedding and furniture covers, it's a nightmare to remove the hair.

Hope this helps! :)

Two times a year. How much they shed depends on the dog. If you're unlucky it's two times a year for 6 months straight :P

Hey, that's usually my answer!!! As far as the furminator, you may be more successful by doing it in sections, lifting and brushing from underneath. If you have an undercoat brush, try going against the growth pattern, I seem to get more fuzz off that way. And cleaning...the more you vacuum, the more dust and hair you stir up...you may be better off doing it every few days, and use a microfiber dry mop on the hard floor or a swiffer, cause a broom just stirs it into the air. Invest in some scotch brand sticky rollers for your clothes...keep them in your car and swipe before you get in or else you transfer it to the car and then it's in there also. Just get used to it, cause it doesn't ever go away!!!:confused:

Ozzy & Micah usually blow their coats at the same time - twice a year. I vacuum twice a day, early morning and late afternoon - I just live with it inbetween.

But this time round Micah seems to be waiting for Ozzy to finish before she starts, very considerate of her :yikes:

My bedrooms are out of bounds to the huskies so we can usually get dressed without husky hair as an accessory, and as long as we don't give/get husky hugs and kisses on our way out, we can usually make it to the car hair free - doesn't always work that way though :rolleyes: Well, maybe once in a while ............ :rofl:

Embrace the fur! :P

We don't notice Kyra's shedding too much inside but I brush her weekly with our FURminator brush but I have already accepted that the interior of my car will always be genuine husky hair no matter how often I clean and vacuum it out. ;)

I vacuum twice a day, and mop the floors at night. I dont have any carpet which makes it really nice. Bedrooms are off-limits to the huskies and they are quarantined when I have a black dress on or black pants lol.

I use the rake brush until I rake off another dog basically and then vacuum them as well. Two of my four huskies love to sit and be vacuumed. Mine blow their coat twice a year, but shed all year round. Three of the four are done with their summer coat sheds, the female just started hers.

There is nothing you can do to make the shedding better, you just have to live with it. Sorry to break the news ;)

I vacuum twice a day, and mop the floors at night. I dont have any carpet which makes it really nice. Bedrooms are off-limits to the huskies and they are quarantined when I have a black dress on or black pants lol.

I use the rake brush until I rake off another dog basically and then vacuum them as well. Two of my four huskies love to sit and be vacuumed. Mine blow their coat twice a year, but shed all year round. Three of the four are done with their summer coat sheds, the female just started hers.

There is nothing you can do to make the shedding better, you just have to live with it. Sorry to break the news ;)

How ever do you find the time to vacuum twice a day? Jeez... I do it once a week with the big vacuum and sometimes I'll take the small vacuum around (it's cordless) during the work week if the hair gets too bad. I've grown to love the hair honestly. LOL

That's why I purchased an SUV with leather seats :)

I have leather seats too and it really makes no difference imo. The hair is still there... it just blows around more, lol. Plus the bottom of the floor of my car is not leather. There is hair galore down there. I get leather seats though b/c when the dogs ride in the car, sometimes, they get dirty feat. Leather is much easier to wipe off than cloth. I do have a seat cover, but it moves at times.