this is scaring me :S

mydiamond

Is being both a uni student and a dog owner impossible? :( :( can't recall where but somewhere in the net I read about a person that says how it's so hard to keep up with all those homework and a pet. And that pet happens to be a cat--that doesn't need 2-3 walks per day, daily brushing and mental exercise :confused:

this is really freaking me out because I'm taking my little boy to college and with him being a husky that demands lots of attention and exercise, can this really work out? :( my plan so far is going to the US for college and either stay there or move to Canada after college. No plan to go back to Indonesia so (I hate myself for saying this) if, IF Diamond can't go with me to college, he will have to look for a new home because my family is, well... unreliable. Mom is the kind of person that humanize dogs and slam the "animal cruelty" label to every training method I use. If it was up to my mom, Dime would never eat his meals without cheese or biscuits. He would be allowed to steal food from people and would have about one hundred puppies from just any female :facepalm: Dad never wants a dog and it still is a mystery why he allowed me to bring Diamond home at the first place. He constantly yells at Dime even when he makes no mistakes and I don't like that. I think if I'm off to college, it's only a matter of time until he hits my boy =\ my brother is on the neutral side. He doesn't hate dogs, but doesn't like them either. It's more like he doesn't care about dogs. Dime is a ghost to him :S and yes, it's a miracle how I manage to raise a husky in this situation :S

so.. anyone knows how does it feels to be a uni student with pets? Is it really that unbearable? :( I would sacrifice my social life if needed :P

i was at uni when i had Yogi, yeh it does limit your time but i still had plenty of time to spend with yogi.

at uni you're not working constantly (well i didnt, and i didnt do too badly lol), yeh you have times where you will be busy with work but most of the time you will have plenty of spare time to spend with Diamond :)

Alot of it depends upon how many classes your taking. With you planning on attending classes in the US and bringing dime in with you, have you started to look into the laws surrounding the importation of animals to find out which are going to apply to Dime?

I think that having Dime with you may indeed cut back on your social life to a degree because of the time commitment, but there should be a way to work around that. What are you planning on studying?

I don't live in the US but am a uni student, there's two of us actually. Sometimes, when it's exam period I have less time for Ghost which makes me sad but also when I'm studying for a long time it's a nice change to go outside with Ghost and get fresh air. Don't worry about summer semester though, at least my Ghost sleeps most of the day due to the warm weather outside. :D

It is managable. I actually like spending more of my time with Ghost rather than other people. If they want to see me, I usually invite them over and everyone's happy. Also you might find friends who have dogs so your social life won't be all that ruined.

If you won't have time for Dime, you could just make mental games for him to tire him. Like while studying throwing him his kibble one piece after the other so he has to go after each and every one and so. :)

Alot of it depends upon how many classes your taking. With you planning on attending classes in the US and bringing dime in with you, have you started to look into the laws surrounding the importation of animals to find out which are going to apply to Dime?

I think that having Dime with you may indeed cut back on your social life to a degree because of the time commitment, but there should be a way to work around that. What are you planning on studying?

*this is from google translate* uhhhh "majoring in education"? "education school"? ARGH what do you call that?? Wanna be a teacher :D I've looked into the laws alright but the Indonesian laws only :S I'm not keen on reading law articles LOL but I'll have to take a look on the US laws too

Liv...think the bigger issue you will have is finding a place to live as a freshman/sophomore that will allow an animal. Many universities require you to live in a dormitory, and you won't be able to keep him there. So, make sure you look into housing requirements. Where are you considering going? Not sure that education is the best choice right now in the US. The National budget for education is shrinking, and many of the states are not spending what is needed on the kids at elementary or uni levels. Just a thought.

Importing animals usually isnt too much of a hassle. There are plenty of rare breeders that must import to keep the COI in the USA down.

Bringing pets to school can help reduce the stress, although you will have to make some sacrifices. However as long as you are prepared for the additional costs and responsibilities, you will be fine. Since he is coming from out of the country, I would make arrangements so if there's some sort of unforeseen event, you have a place for him to go, either permanently or only for a short time. Also getting him acquainted with a local boarding facility will give him a place to visit during long test periods like finals or midterms.

I have 4 huskies, a day job working 40 hours and I was in school taking 3 Masters level classes a semester. So I can tell you its not impossible. Its all about organization. Besides, taking a study break to walk the dog keeps your mind fresh and focused and forces you to exercise which is a good thing!

Yes, it would be "majoring in education" - studying to become a teacher. As Nanci mentioned, however, there aren't as many teaching jobs available in the US as there once were, and a lot of that depends on what you want to teach, and at what level. There would be some jobs teaching foreign languages, particularly Spanish at the secondary level, but most other languages would be more rare. Do you speak Mandarin? That could possibly be useful to teach. Business and IT are very good fields, as are many medical areas of study (doctors, nurses, and various kinds of technicians) - and engineering.

I went back to school to obtain certifications to teach (I already had a Bachelor of Arts degree), having quite a number of dogs, as well as a house and part of the time I worked, as well. It was difficult, but the dogs saved my sanity, too. Some universities will require freshmen (first year) students to live in dormitories on campus, and having a dog there would not be possible, so as you inquire into schools, if you think you might bring Dime, check that out!

degree is classified by what level of education you want to teach. My degree is in history and im working on my masters in "secondary education" which is highschool or college teaching. :) As for having a dog while youre in school it is def manageable but like stated before unless you plan on renting out an apartment i'm not sure where you could keep him. Most dorms do not allow pets.

I got Kiska half way through my second year and having her while being at university has been easy! :) If anything, she's enhanced my experience of being here as it's made me go out and appreciate where I live, and several of my friends have dogs too so we'll go on doggy days out :P

Like the others have said its not impossible but won't be a walk in the park either. You'll have to look into the things mentioned above like housing requierments for the uni you want to go to and what not. But if you are determined and set your mind to it you can find a way :D

As you know I go to college and have 3 dogs, 4 cats, 2 rats and some fish. BUT I also live alone with my boyfriend who works and own my own home so that makes a huge difference for me being able to care for my animals. However, like I said if you put your mind to it, look into all the necessary laws and make preparations for housing I'm sure you'll work something out :D

Thank you for all your replies guys :D I am planning to go to Iowa State University, because google search says that it's one of the best universities for those who wants to be a teacher. [MENTION=1869]sutsibe[/MENTION] yes I do speak Mandarin. Can't help it I am part Chinese LOL but just a little bit, but my dad insists for me to learn more not a problem I love languages :D I'm planning to teach some kind of a language.. Mandarin's a good choice :D btw I've done some research and I remember that students are allowed to live in other places should they don't wish to stay in the dorms. Not sure if it worked for freshmen too tho :( I really really hope I can bring Dime along

Iowa State is a fantastic school, but I think it's actually geared more toward engineering and veterinary medicine. The University of Northern Iowa, is, from what I've heard, the school with the greater focus on teaching and teachers... Neither one is terribly far from where Austinville and I live...

(With the fact that China has the economy it currently has, knowing Chinese is a major benefit!)

I'll do some more research on Northern Iowa uni thanks :D but before all these, I gotta talk to my parents and explain about my plans... so far I've always told them I haven't planned anything yet in fear they'd attack my ideas and say rude things I don't like to hear =\

oh hey that's good news I can meet you two (and the dogs too heehee) then :D :D :D