Mark on Face

Diarmuid

Kobe has had a mark on his face for the last month or so. I brought him to the vet for a check-up and told me that it was from a snotty nose it generally happens in the summer time. Im just a bit worried now as it seems to be getting a small bit worse has any 1 have any idea about ? You can see the mark beside his nose

post-6059-13586054681959_thumb.jpg

I just found this on a website maybe this might be it, thanks for the heads up Becky

Snow noseisa separate but common condition in which dark pigment on the nose fades during the winter months and darkens again in spring and summer. Complete depigmentation does not occur. Snow nose is seen in Siberian Huskies, Golden Retrievers, Labrador Retrievers, Bernese Mountain Dogs, and other breeds.

Treatment:Lack of pigment on the nose is primarily a cosmetic problem and is considered to be a conformation fault in the show ring. A number of home remedies have been advocated, but their success is questionable. Sunscreen, as described for nasal solar dermatitis, helps prevent ultraviolet injury to dogs who lack pigment.

The fur is gone from the area, which is somewhat of a concern - there are a number of things which might cause this... The area doesn't look irritated, which is good, but might make diagnosis a little more difficult - or easier for a vet with more knowledge than I have, lol! The darker red stain near the nose IS likely from being moist from snot. One thing that always comes to mind with lesions on the muzzle in a Siberian would be zinc deficiency, although I've usually heard more about that around the lips than the nose - still, something to mention as a possibility to your vet... Zinc deficiency is common in the breed, which would have developed with a diet rich in seafood (which contains high levels of zinc).

I give kobe some cod liver oil tablets with his food sometimes for his coat maybe i should stop

I would think that the cod liver oil would be good. If there is a problem with zinc levels, one of the algae supplements would also likely be a good source...

I would think that the cod liver oil would be good. If there is a problem with zinc levels, one of the algae supplements would also likely be a good source...

Sorry now but i might be reading this the wrong way, but should i stop giving him cod liver oil

Sorry now but i might be reading this the wrong way, but should i stop giving him cod liver oil

No - don't stop giving it. Fish oil is very good, and fish/fish oils should be a good source of zinc! You might want to give it more regularly, even. Algae is also a good source of zinc (it's where the fish would get it), and certain kinds of algae supplements, anyway, might offer a little higher level of zinc, I'm not sure.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Just an update on kobe's mark by his nose,

Its been a few weeks now and it finally starting to clear up thank god........

Thanks for all the help lads, i still dont know what caused it but hopefully i keeps getting better