Pet tags, micro-chipping, insurance

JESSICAMOM343

#1 -- I am looking for pet tags for Ni'cko.

What kind of pet tag do you have for your furbabaies and what information do you have on yours.

I saw one thing during my internet search that said to put the vet information & "vet fees will be paid". I had never thought of that and thought it might be a good idea.

Also do you put the pets name??

#2 -- Does anyone have their pet micro-chipped. I would love to have Ni'cko chipped, but have no clue where it's done or how it's done. Any advice would be helpful.

#3 -- Do you have insurance on your pets. I have also been looking into insurance for Ni'cko and everyone says I'm crazy, but I can see where it would be a huge help God forbid anything happen to him.

My dogs have my mobile and home phone numbers and my postcode, and 'I am chipped' on their tags but definately not their names. They are all microchipped and I am in the process of getting Tanna's details changed over. They are all insured to cover emergencies and ongoing illnesses.

house and mobile numbers but no names on tag. (In case of being stolen or found and not returned).. My oldest girl is insured, has been for six years, the other two not yet, i think i will put money (when i get some spare lol) into a seperate account instead of insurance lol.

All of my tags have name on front, address and phone on back. I have them made at a local trophy shop really cheap and last forever!

Most of my dogs are microchipped, either I have taken them to the vet for chipping or have had our mobile vet when she has the chips with her do them. Backup for the tag if the collar is removed, falls off, or anything like that.

I do not have pet insurance, with 9 I'd need to remortgage my house to afford it!

Suka was chipped at the humane society, but I imagine your vet would chip him as well!

He just has his rabies tag, his dog license ID number (which links him back to us, in case he's lost), and another one that I can't think of right now. But there's 3 on there...

(I think its 24hourPe****ch, though I'm not sure.)

I have pet insurance on him. Rather expensive, but IMO its worth it in case something happens and he has to get surgery.

We haven't addressed the tag/chip issue yet (will soon). I did get insurance for Zoya. I did a lot of research and comparing before decided. I looked at our health records from our older dogs and based on that decided to forego the "wellness" insurance and got accident and illness insurance. Look at the deductible, and coverage amounts. I was almost set with one company when I noticed a "loop hole" with the deductible. I guess we will see if the insurance is worth it (I hope it is a waste of money if you know what I mean) but I feel better having it.

We haven't addressed the tag/chip issue yet (will soon). I did get insurance for Zoya. I did a lot of research and comparing before decided. I looked at our health records from our older dogs and based on that decided to forego the "wellness" insurance and got accident and illness insurance. Look at the deductible, and coverage amounts. I was almost set with one company when I noticed a "loop hole" with the deductible. I guess we will see if the insurance is worth it (I hope it is a waste of money if you know what I mean) but I feel better having it.

If you don't mind me asking what company did you go with?

MY surname ,full address,home and mobile tel nos. "I am chipped" on one side. All 3 dogs are mcrochipped.It is an easy procedure done at the vets and gives you added protection if collar comes off/breaks.

I do have insurance for all 3,but sometimes wonder if I should have just saved the money into an account like others do,but then ,I do not like taking riske and if an expensive emergency occured,I feel safe in the knowledge that they can be treated promptly and it won't be a matter of being able to afford it.

Mine is chipped. I do not have insurance. I have his name on his tag. Why do so many of you say you don't? I like the idea of putting" I am chipped" on it though. I have our address and phone on one side and his name on the other.

If you were closer than 3 hours from here I would suggest you come to the meet I have set up in Bristol because my friend from the Husky Rescue is micro-chipping dogs for $20 to help raise money for the rescue.

I highly recommend it and I have looked into the pet insurance too but not sure if we should get it or not.

1 – My pet tag has Nikko’s name on one side, and on the other side it has my name, address and phone number. It also says he is microchipped and a reward if found. It also has a picture of him as well, and I found it online although I am not that happy with it. It has been worn down a lot and I have only had it a few months.

2 – I highly recommend getting your pet microchipped. I did a lot of research on this and unfortunately there is no standard for microchips or registries. Some places use scanners that cannot read certain chips. Nikko has one from PetKey, but it was included when I got him. It sends out alerts in a 50 mile radius if he is reported missing and there is no charge to update your information.

However, I am getting a new puppy that does not come with the chip so I priced several options. I decided to go with AVID, which is what my vet uses. It will cost be like 40 bucks for them to implant it, and 20 bucks to register it online. If I need to change my information it will cost 6 dollars, but I don’t plan to move in quite some time so I think that was the best option. Plus, it seems to be the most popular microchip in the US.

3 – I’ve done TONS of research on getting insurance, with Nikko and the new puppy. My feelings is that I am putting 20-40 bucks a month into a savings account instead of paying for insurance. However, when he does get older, or when I get the 2nd pup I might get basic coverage, just in case something major happens. Whatever you do, DON’T get the wellness plans. I compared it down to the penny from what I paid the Vet and what I would have paid if I had the wellness plan, and I would have paid MORE with insurance than just paying out of pocket to the vet. I did quotes with ASPCA and VPI and ASPCA would have saved me like 80 dollars with the basic wellness plan, although it would have cost me like 100 more with the advanced plan. VPI was just about even with both plans. If you want piece of mind in case anything goes wrong, get the basic plan that covers illness and injury with a higher deductible. That way if something happens that will cost thousands of dollars you wont be bankrupt. Keep in mind that they all reimburse you so you have to have the money up front anyway.