My 1 year old husky plays really rough with my 2 month old beagle.

miguel

My husky is 10 months old, and he really tends to play rough with any dog, he use to jump on every dog even big ones. I recently bought home a 2 month old beagle, he wasn't mad at the dog, he actually wants to play I know it. he territorial or anything, he wants to play badly but he plays really rough! how could I eliminate this? I cant let them play together!

Ah Miguel, how many time have you seen here that "Husky's like to play and when they do Husky's play rough!"?? It isn't like you didn't have the chance to see that! << teasing mostly >>

If they're going to co-exist you're going to have to teach your boy the meaning of "easy". The only way to do that is to let them get together and as soon as he starts getting too rough for you (or the little one) say "easy" - that should get his attention off the pup. If he gets way to rough then separate them for a while.

While they're not too far apart in age, at that age, they're worlds apart in size and you're right, he can hurt the pup without trying. If the pup yelps though, I'm surprised that he doesn't back off a little on his own.

Now for sort of an odd question - - are they playing too rough for each other or are they playing to rough for you? Explanations might be in order. If the pup is hiding, crying, looking to you for protection then they might be too rough for each other (at the moment, that will probably change as the pup grows up) if the pup just sort of backs off but isn't in any stress then he's probably handling it better than you are. If you're concerned that the pup will be hurt and they are playing rough but they are playing then they're okay with each other but too rough for you.

Edited by Al Jones

well yeah, I know that they play rough just looking for an answer on I can lessen it.

the pup doesn't cry, my husky most just eats his head and jumps over him which causes the puppy to fall and my husky steps over him! well sometimes I think the beagle gets pissed so he growls back at my husky, is that bad? yeah, I think too rough for me, not for them. just scared of any accidents.

[MENTION=107]Bec[/MENTION] and [MENTION=1869]sutsibe[/MENTION] will probably give you slightly different answers than I did but generally teaching him "easy" or whatever you want to use and then having him back off is probably the only workable way of getting the peace you want and having them co-exist in the same house. As the pup grows up he'll take care of himself. BTW the pup growling back is probably a play growl.

My Alaskan picks on my Sibe mercilessly - to the point that I have to tell him to take it easy. Not that she won't defend herself, when she gets tired of it she will, but after too long it gets on my nerves! I *do* relate to the issue!

My husky is not a year old yet and our beagle is older. He still plays rough with her. She is smaller and therefore "prey" to him lol. He doesn't hurt her he's just rough. We just have him go play with the German Shepherd or the Boxer.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

I wouldn't let them play much at all if he's being rough until the beagle is older. He can do some serious damage to a little 2 month old puppy! I had to keep Elara crated most of her puppyhood to make sure Siku didn't play too rough with her. You can teach "easy" and break up play time with short bursts of training then more play time to make sure he doesn't get too crazy. Like play for 2 mins, ask him to sit and wait 30 secs, then play for 2-3 mins, then down and wait 30sec, etc. That will keep his excited level down some and hopefully keep the rough housing down. But I would wait until the beagle is at least 5 or 6 months old before letting them play a lot if the husky is going to be so rough.

Thanks for the great answer guys, I am also extra cautious with my beagle cause I will be showing him in a while, so injuries are not in my options. I think what I would do is I would let them play for a short period of time and that's it. Thanks once again!

btw @Al_Jones what do you mean? he shows her teeth and barks isn't that aggression?

PS: I find it funny cause my husky use to have a chiuahua play mate they really get along well they even use to walk together, but as my husky grew he played rougher and rougher... now they're enemies... seems like chiuahua got pissed.

lol another PS: does it count that they are both bitches?

<< snipped >>

btw @Al_Jones what do you mean? he shows her teeth and barks isn't that aggression?

At this age, definitely not. It's practice, it's play. My two adults will growl, bare their teeth, look like they're gonna tear each other apart - and then lay down together or hit the water at the same time. Pretty much you need to read the rest of the language - and even then, as a puppy, it can be seriously misleading.

<< snipped >>

lol another PS: does it count that they are both bitches?

I think I'll pass on answering this question, I can get myself in enough trouble with any help, thank you!! :) Seriously, though, it's doubtful - at two months he's still puppy not really dog or bitch yet. Wait one, you keep referring to them as "perros" are they in fact "perras" (not that it matters at two months).

Probably not so much aggression, as such, as just having had enough, and letting your Sibe know it! Both being bitches - probably not, as well - yet. Your Siberian is likely trying to teach the puppy her place as they're playing, and hasn't learned the boundaries of appropriate play with a little pup... Only allow play when you can appropriately supervise, and can step in and put a stop to things when they get too rough...

I wouldn't let them play much at all if he's being rough until the beagle is older. He can do some serious damage to a little 2 month old puppy! I had to keep Elara crated most of her puppyhood to make sure Siku didn't play too rough with her. You can teach "easy" and break up play time with short bursts of training then more play time to make sure he doesn't get too crazy. Like play for 2 mins, ask him to sit and wait 30 secs, then play for 2-3 mins, then down and wait 30sec, etc. That will keep his excited level down some and hopefully keep the rough housing down. But I would wait until the beagle is at least 5 or 6 months old before letting them play a lot if the husky is going to be so rough.

I agree with this. I actually wouldn't be allowing play especially if it is turning rough. The growling could be serious, I have seen plenty of pups growl serious growls at other dogs when they feel threatened, hard to say without seeing it.

• 2 weeks later...

Still have to watch him but he loves his beagle buddy. If they meet calmly he's fine but if it starts out full excitement I have to get him and make him sit. They were both younger then. This was in December.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

post-6550-13586058124144_thumb.jpg

pretty similar to Panda my husky and Mason my yorkie. He is fairly rough with Mason, a few times at the dog park people though Panda was going to tear Mason apart because his head would be in his mouth.

He never bites hard just mouths him, at first he did run over him due to their size difference, he's learned now to just lay down. When mason has had enough he will run to me or he will give a growl.

When he does, Panda just stands still and eases off. It was too rough for me at first, but seeing that my yorkie seeks him out to play, i've grown accustomed to it, but always watching.