Pointless bloody flu jab

Marc

Since saturday morning now I have felt extremely unwell to the extent I spent much of saturday (almost all of it) and saturday night in bed. Went to work yesterday feeling like hell, BUT this morning I thought yeah I dont feel to bad..... For about 10 mins :(

Everything I feel like in my head tells me Ive had flu. Aching, streaming, head banging, sleeping like hell. So here is my rant.... I'VE HAD THE FLU JAB, WHY THE HELL AM I HAVING FLU SYMPTOMS??

If that's just a rhetorical rant - forgive me, but the technical answer is because the flu shot is based on what the medical profession thinks the most common strain of flu for a certain year will be. They get it wrong sometimes and its possible to catch an alternate flu virus even after getting the shot. Sorry you feel so bad! :( The flu is evil! I rate it up there with other useless evil like mosquitoes and spiders.

could you not have hayfever???

Oh I know I have hayfever, but got stuff I know kills that stone dead LOL. Used to get a cold (or so I thought) every other week. Went to docs eventually as it was annoyin Sarah more than me (yeah woman are annoying like that) and was given something to try as suspected it was likely to hayfever. Now Im the opposite, I dont get em very often at all.

ye @Marc but the flu jab is no good against man flu

I wish. Its now gettin to the point its just annoyin me LOL

The flu is evil! I rate it up there with other useless evil like mosquitoes and spiders.

Mosquitoes and Spiders? LMAO

I have to laugh, I go to the VA for my medical needs - and every year they try to give me a flu shot. My response "When was the last time I was in with a cold or the flu?" They skim back through my records and inevitably come back with "I guess you don't want one, huh??"

Back when I got a flu shot I'd come down with something, it's now been better than 5 years since I've had anything worse than some allergy sniffles! Thanks, but NO THANKS!!

Something similar happened to the mother in law. She worked on SCBU (special care baby unit) and was pressued in to having a flu shot by her superiors. A few days later she came out with the flu but work said she did not have the flu, it was just flu like symptoms due to the mild dose that was now in her system and not the flu?! Work that one out?!! What's the difference? lol.

Because of my asthma I get a letter from our medical aid every year 'telling' me to get my flu shot. The last time I had it done I was sick, on and off, the whole winter - I'd rather take my chances without it. Nothing worse than flu :( Hope you feel better soon.

my mum went in for the flu jab as requested by her doctors and she had a mild chest infection at the time!!!

3 days later and she had bronchitis and pneumonia (sp)

im supposed to have one cos of being pregnant and baby due around oct.........

The flu shot is a dead strain of the flu, your body fights it anyways thinking it is still alive. It makes antibodies which attack this virus, so when you actually DO get infected with the flu...the symptoms aren't as bad and you usually fight it off quicker because your body is already armed with those antibodies.

But, IMO, I've never got the flu shot this year...and I haven't gotten sick once. Just wash your hands a bunch of times a day, keep warm and dry(especially in the chillier months!), and stay away from anyone who IS sick with anything.

And, you're not supposed to get the flu shot if you're sick with anything...

I've never gotten the flu shot and I think I've had the flu maybe twice in my life. I think the best way to prevent it is just making sure you're washing you're hands regularly and taking care of yourself (eating healthy stuff, not stressing out etc).

And then... there's good sides to being sick as well - at least you get not to go to work for a perfectly good reason that nobody can contest. Sometimes I wish I came down with something just so I don't have to go to work for a couple of days lol...

Get better soon! :)

My son has the flu shot. Due to the medications he's on he has a compromised immune system and a dose of the flu could quite possibly kill him. Just getting a minor cough and cold need to be kept an eye on in case the cough becomes pneumonia which he'd have very little chance of recovering from. So the flu jab is the lesser of two evils