I need some major advice please. i just dont know what else to do!

So i rehomed Rafe 2month ago and thought i was getting places with him ie: stopped messing in the house, howling etc. But now he's going in my cuboards as soon as i'm out, he's opening bedroom doors (mainly my sons and messing in there and peeing!) he's destroying everything in sight. so... i got a crate and thought well he'll just have to go in there when i go out! But he escapes. He gets out, hops the stair gate, opens sons room and messes everywhere!! Now i know he's a husky and yes i expect this behaviour being new to us and young but OMG pleease advice what i can try next lolWhen i got Maya at this age she was the same but i cant remember what i did. He's really upsetting me as he's causing such problems and its not his fault i just dont know how to sort his issues with me leaving him..yesterday he ate 2 shoes (granted they shouldnt have been in the hallway even tho he was crated!) ate half a melon, opened a hay bale and him and maya spent the morning playing with the hay... in my kitchen!!To make things worse i have whiplash so am struggling so bad i think i may cry lol any advice would be great thank you x

Edited by maya's mummy

So i rehomed Rafe 2month ago and thought i was getting places with him ie: stopped messing in the house' date=' howling etc. But now he's going in my cuboards as soon as i'm out, he's opening bedroom doors (mainly my sons and messing in there and peeing!) he's destroying everything in sight. so... i got a crate and thought well he'll just have to go in there when i go out! But he escapes. He gets out, hops the stair gate, opens sons room and messes everywhere!! Now i know he's a husky and yes i expect this behaviour being new to us and young but OMG pleease advice what i can try next lolWhen i got Maya at this age she was the same but i cant remember what i did. He's really upsetting me as he's causing such problems and its not his fault i just dont know how to sort his issues with me leaving him..yesterday he ate 2 shoes (granted they shouldnt have been in the hallway even tho he was crated!) ate half a melon, opened a hay bale and him and maya spent the morning playing with the hay... in my kitchen!!To make things worse i have whiplash so am struggling so bad i think i may cry lol any advice would be great thank you x[/quote']

Hubby got some metal clips called wire rope grips. 6mm ones. Use on the corners. Also use padlocks on the doors. And cable ties on the sides too.

hi thanks for replying, he manages to escape out of a corner or the doors, i have cable tied it all around but he nibbles them and looks like he's throwing himself at it as its totally bent!? today i come back and he'd managed to get half the tray out from the bottom?? Rafe gets one and half hour walk every morning up the woods with other dogs (including maya) and on a long lead so he gets to play with everyone. i put his toys in his crate and he simply doenst care he just wants to get out. And he is always let out before i leave the house to go anywhere and as soon as i return? So i just dont understand where i'm going wrong.

I feed him in his crate and he goes in no problem. He will stay in his crate with me in the house and maya in the kitchen no problem? But when i leave he has a melt down until he can get out and go mad?? My stair gate is just a child one simply because really its just to keep my 2 year old out to give them space and for safety. But if i put a bigger gate up he will eat my lino (which he's started) as he did that when i shut the kitchen door. Its like he has a fear of being shut in?

Hubby got some metal clips called wire rope grips. 6mm ones. Use on the corners. Also use padlocks on the doors. And cable ties on the sides too.

thanks i will go to b&q tomorrow and try to find these, cable ties he's just biting through. I feel like i'm winning a losing battle, and he always knows he's done something wrong because as soon as i open the front door he legs it back down the hallway over the gate into his crate and pees himself!!! So i feel so sorry he's so scared and so annoyed he's done wrong lol my heads going to explode i'm sure!

For how long is he left alone?

I would certainly make sure he is well exercised before leaving. Also I would increase his mental stimulation, try to do some training with him every day so that he has an outlet for all that energy.

Other than that, I would just use locks for the crate... or dog-proof a room in the house and leave him locked in there.

If you can get a couple of days where you'll be home, go back and start from scratch with the crate training. Feed him only in the crate, leave it open, and put tiny pieces of some high-value food in it and PRAISE him (big time!) when he goes in, and toss a few more tiny pieces of high-value noms in. After he's gotten comfortable with that, practice shutting the door for very brief periods of time, very quietly praising him for being calm - if you can, shut it while he's distracted, so that he doesn't even notice, and then just as he notices, but before he panics, open it, tell him what a good boy he is, and let him out. Gradually increase the time the door is shut, but don't let him out while he's not behaving - either do it before he reacts or after he calms down. When you can do that, you can practice leaving the room, going and picking up some object (it doesn't matter what it is - just something so you have a purpose for leaving the room and coming back!), and quietly and calmly coming back, and at a time when he's calm/quiet, let him out again. It will be time consuming and likely nerve-wracking, but it should be effective...

he's left no more than one hour at a time as i rush back to check him. tuesdays he has to do 3 hours as i am at college, but he gets exercised in the morning and lunchtime as i only have 30min lunch, so its a run around the block for 20mins then back home for another 2 til i get home. but thats the worst day for him being in there a great length.

I feed him his meals in his crate and he happily goes in there for his food with the door open, and i can shut it and he's fine he'll lay down and relax. I praise him loads for being good and quite. But its when i leave the room so i need to start the training from that point dont i.. will start tomorrow from scratch and see how we go. thanks everyone.

i feel your pain it's not easy.

When we rehomed Koda he wasn't crate trained at all but hubby took a few days off work and trained him all day, by the end of the week he was perfect in his crate

do you crate them both together? if not that may be why he's kicking off so much?

thanks i will go to b&q tomorrow and try to find these' date=' cable ties he's just biting through. I feel like i'm winning a losing battle, and he always knows he's done something wrong because as soon as i open the front door he legs it back down the hallway over the gate into his crate and pees himself!!! So i feel so sorry he's so scared and so annoyed he's done wrong lol my heads going to explode i'm sure![/quote']

thats ok. we use them for angel as she has escaped before.

they arent cheap and you only get 4 but they are good.

In the meantime til you get the crate training sorted either change the door handles into the bedrooms or put latches on high up so he can't get into the bedrooms. We had to change our door handles with Gem (not even a husky) because she could even open them from the inside so we put round handles that need to be turned to open and on some hubby turned them upside down so that the handles needed to be lifted to open the doors. She was really bad when she was younger as she would find a way into bedrooms if she was stressed- either someone at the door when we were out or a loud noise and would try to pee on the bedcovers. Several new duvets later we found it cheaper to replace the handles.

i've not made it to b&q today as been trying the crate training.. dont know if i'm doing it right but he seems calm?? i did go out on school run and he was still caged when i returned (shocking lol) and the cage wasnt wet which is positive!. i'm going to do the door handle thing actually! i was going to get round ones but i think turning them the wrong way is much better!! mayas not crated as shes so good she doesnt need to be! But also i have no room anywhere for them both to be crated. His crates in the middle of the kitchen and she's in the room always with him. i want to start trying to crate him at night too as maya always slept in the kitchen but now they're both in with me!? But do you think i'm best waiting for himn to settle in the day before trying it at night?? Or just get on with it tonight lol

I would think if you can get him to settle at night in his crate it might help with during the day. just my thoughts though someone else might have other views.
thats what i'm thinking.. sire i can cope with one night of howling lol.. question is do i bring the crate into my room and gradually move him out once used to the crate!? or leave it in the kitchen where he'd be sleeping with maya and deal with the howling?? OR do i stop being so house proud and just let them fluff my carpets each night lol

Sutsibe gave you some great information on using the crate, here is an article on this topic of crates. (There may be high separation anxiety going on also )

Start by rescripting your comings and goings, some owners unintentionally create separation anxiety in their dogs because they make a big deal of departures ("I'm so sorry I have to go to work today") or arrivals ("Guess who is home? Where is my sloppy kisses") so seize the emotional filled departures and arrivals, exit and enter without a lot of fanfare, give him a treat or activity before walking calmly out the door and don't make a fuss about leaving. When you return, say hello but then spend several minutes checking your mail or phone messages before making a fuss over him. You are teaching him that it isn't a big production when you leave or return and that he must wait patiently for your undivided attention. Your right not to crate your dog if not gone for more than 4 or 5 hours at a time, that is to far taxing for any K-9 bladder, instead pick a room in your home where you can close the door or use doggie gates to keep him safe inside. These small places often give dogs like Rafe a feeling of security that may help him calm down. A tired dog is a more relaxed dog. He is still a new comer to your household and is learning that he can trust you to come home every day. It won't be long before Rafe feels like a full fledged member of the family.

post-6713-13586056554491_thumb.jpg

post-6713-13586056552666_thumb.jpg

Sutsibe gave you some great information on using the crate, here is an article on this topic of crates. (There may be high separation anxiety going on also )

Start by rescripting your comings and goings, some owners unintentionally create separation anxiety in their dogs because they make a big deal of departures ("I'm so sorry I have to go to work today") or arrivals ("Guess who is home? Where is my sloppy kisses") so seize the emotional filled departures and arrivals, exit and enter without a lot of fanfare, give him a treat or activity before walking calmly out the door and don't make a fuss about leaving. When you return, say hello but then spend several minutes checking your mail or phone messages before making a fuss over him. You are teaching him that it isn't a big production when you leave or return and that he must wait patiently for your undivided attention. Your right not to crate your dog if not gone for more than 4 or 5 hours at a time, that is to far taxing for any K-9 bladder, instead pick a room in your home where you can close the door or use doggie gates to keep him safe inside. These small places often give dogs like Rafe a feeling of security that may help him calm down. A tired dog is a more relaxed dog. He is still a new comer to your household and is learning that he can trust you to come home every day. It won't be long before Rafe feels like a full fledged member of the family.

[ATTACH]51023[/ATTACH][ATTACH]51024[/ATTACH]

Those are two very good articles [MENTION=6713]SA DA KA[/MENTION] ! Also like the advice given by [MENTION=1869]sutsibe[/MENTION] , she has 25 years experience with Siberians and SA DA KA has 15 years I think. Both very good advice. We have our crate put up as Czar has been trained and can be trusted while we are gone if we don't take him(which is due to weather being to hot and dangerous for him) but we take him with us when we can and exercise that Husky energy as much as we can as well. A tired Husky from exercise, is a happy one ;) I also want to make note of, what works for us (taking him with) isn't an option for alot of people, but it is possible for us, so we do it.

thanks i shall read through them once back from husky walk. I never make a huge deal of leaving or coming back and always just say hi or bye very quickly with no excitement just normal (if that makes sense). when i get home i say hello and carry on sorting children, bags etc (rafe and maya still in kitchen in crate) and once coats off and kids settled i then make him sit and open the door with him waiting, then allow him out on command, straight outside. once outside aftrer few mins i'll go out and chuck a ball etc so he gets attention but not really directly related to the crate?? hope that makes sense? :)

just a little update, Rafe seems alot calmer in his crate now. I still return to cable ties on the floor where he's nibbles them off, but he's not stressed within himself no more. I open the door and he goes in himself, so he's getting the idea. Neighbours say they havent heard a peep from him either so fingers crossed i'm onto a winner here! And i'm even more happy as he's not had anymore of my shoes!!LOL bless him. thanks for all your support.

When I know Marius is going to be a butthead in his crate I will throw a raw marrow bone in with him. One that's big enough so that he wont swallow it ofc and he will sit in there and munch on it. Keeps him busy

i tried filling a hollow bone with food but he ignored it until i returned and let him out lol he's not food orientated at all bless him, whereas my other will do anything for food :D

is a good idea tho :)

i tried filling a hollow bone with food but he ignored it until i returned and let him out lol he's not food orientated at all bless him, whereas my other will do anything for food :D

is a good idea tho :)

Marius is not food driven either but its more interesting then a toy haha. Hes pretty good in his crate usually tho so I don't have any other advice :P