Myths & stories

Val (Zebedee)

Just heard the first crackle of thunder outside & it made me think back to when I was a child & what I was told thunder was; whenever I hear it, I think of God moving his furniture around as that's what I was told was causing the noise! :P At least I have never been bothered when it started thundering & lightning!

What were you told as a child to help you "cope" with things or to give you an explanation to stop you asking questions??!! It can be about anything, Father Christmas, what makes the wind blow, anything at all :D

we told my little brother that thunder was god farting and rain was god peeing!!!!

lightening was from thor!!!!!

we werent really scared of anything as kids....although with horror stuff my mum would say 'its just make believe and the dead cant hurt you!!!!' 'but the living can :('

I was told it was god moving furniture about, I was also told not to go to the windows at you would been seen watching an struck by lightning. And to finish it off we had to unplug everything and switch the power off at the mains until the thunder went over... How did I turn out normal?!:confused:

We were just told it was the weather. I was never really afraid of thunderstorms, I enjoyed watching the lightnings and that sort of thing.

We had strict instructions though not to take a shower or use the phone during a thunderstorm. Still don't know whether this is just a myth or it's really risky.

We had strict instructions though not to take a shower or use the phone during a thunderstorm. Still don't know whether this is just a myth or it's really risky.

I was told the same thing. Never found out why or if it was true lol. And later on we had to unplug the computers and my dad's ham radios.

I was told the same thing. Never found out why or if it was true lol. And later on we had to unplug the computers and my dad's ham radios.

I don't believe it will actually attract lightening. The chance it'll even hit is very slim BUT if it hits, it will most likely go through your power outlets because these are always connected to the ground, and when that does you have a very high chance it breaking anything that's connected to it and potentially catching fire.

The company my dad works for once got struck my lightening. About 25% of all plugged computers got fried, including some telephones as were connected to the system as well. You definitely don't want to be using these when it happens... However, it follows a very strange pattern. One computer could become completely dead while one 1 meter away from doesn't even have a mark on it. In fact, my previous computer had a harddrive that was directly struck by lightening, have used it for many years afterwards without any issues :S

I was told angels bowling and god moving furniture :P and ofc the good ol " if you pick your nose your face will cave in" or if you make a funny face that it will stay that way haha

i was told that too lol

I too was told angels were bowling, although I don't recall being told the lightning was anything...

Some years ago, I lost my computer and a phone (dial-up at the time) to a lightning strike. The electricity came in through the phone line (there are lightning rods on the roof of my house) and completely fried my hard drive - beyond recovery of any data. Water is a very good conductor of electricity, so it's wise to not be in water during a lightning storm!

We were told that thunder was the potato wagons rolling (Dad had Irish in his heritage, so I suppose that's where that came from).

Grandma (Dad's mother) always told us things like "Birds flying low, there'll be snow. Birds flying high, will come a clear sky."

"A sun shiny shower won't last half an hour."

If you want to know how hard the winter will be, watch the number of pinecones in the pines. The more cones there are, the tougher the winter will be.

Those are the kinds of things that I was told..............

If you want to know how hard the winter will be, watch the number of pinecones in the pines. The more cones there are, the tougher the winter will be.

Those are the kinds of things that I was told..............

Whoop - I was just noticing the pine tree by the end of the drive has a LOT of pinecones on it! :)

when I was a child I love to wander around the neighborhood with some friends so in order to make me go home exactly at 5 pm every afternoon my mom says "when the sun goes down the gate of hell opened and devils are free to roam the Earth. They will catch every little children that is not inside their homes and keep them as their own children. So you have to go home before the sundown, exactly at 5 pm." LOL it didn't scare me one bit, but up until today I always feel bad if I arrive at home any later than 5 pm x)

I have a Santa Claus story.

My ex husband who was my children's step father decided he needed to tell the children then aged 3 and 5 that Santa Claus does not exist, it is a lie etc, much to my horror. I was not happy about that one what so ever. No discussion about it, he just did what he liked. After all my only putting the pressies out on xmas eve when they had gone to sleep the years before he came into our life. Filling their stocking Xmas eve to brimming level. I am a big kid at heart and love Xmas.

We have this place called Magic Mountain in South Australia. Santa does the parade through the streets then into Santa's Magic Cave where people can come to visit Santa. Luckily we got to go there one year after John had told the kids on his version of Santa not being real.

Well Santa had a twinkle in his eye and I kid you not. Somehow...I do not know how he knew. He says to John, so you don't believe in Santa and asked several other questions !!

John by this time was seriously squirming, I am just shell shocked but happy all at once, wondering how he knew?? But Santa knew lol.

And after all this, John never doubted Santa again. he even dressed up one year as Santa. I got to have the magic Xmas's I always planned lol.

This is a true story and no lie. But spooky !!

Grandma (Dad's mother) always told us things like "Birds flying low, there'll be snow. Birds flying high, will come a clear sky."

I know that some birds, or at least the seagulls eat bugs that react to the barometric pressure changes. They fly high on high pressure (meaning good weather is coming) and low on low pressure (bad weather/rain is coming). It's actually a good forecast indicator :)