And so it begins..

Michelle Melsom

So summer finally started here in the Okanagan it got to 30C yesterday. I'm in Westbank which is right beside Kelowna but we get hotter for some reason ANYWAYS the leaving your pet in the car has started. I cant believe how stupid people can be...with all the media going around reminding you " don't leave your dog in a hot car its like an oven" you think they wouldn't do it. He was lucky that after and hour his dog was still alive. Here's my rules if I see your dog in the car and its hot I'm calling the police...If I see your dog is unresponsive I'm breaking your window and I will deal with the consequences later. I feel like people should carry around a bowl and water bottle for dogs just in case something like this were to happen and they had to bust a dog out :/ or something. -sigh- Im glad they showed the dudes face because he is going to be shunned by everyone that sees him now -.-

Global BC | Dog in hot car in Kelowna leads to confrontation

This stuff happens all the time where I am. People just don't get it.

As I've said before, Suka goes for lots of car rides because he has SA and he's not crate trained. Sometimes he's left in there for an hour or so, if it is cool outside. And he's fine with it!

Now that it's really hot outside (and really humid!), Suka isn't allowed to go on car-rides anymore unless its a trip to the vet or something. I just bring him to a local dogsitter that I've gotten to know very well, due to his SA, and all's well.

There was an occurrence this summer, though, when his dog-sitter wasn't available and we had to take him with us when we went out to Harvey's. My Dad opened the back hatch window (SUV), and he parked right outside the restaurant so somebody would have to have a lot of guts to steal him! Of course, he was tied down so he couldn't jump out and wander off.

During the whole time, though, I was worried about him and kept on going outside to check on him (checking his gums, his saliva ratio, how fast he's panting, etc).

During other times when my dogsitter isn't available and he can't be left in the car (ie: extended stays somewhere, like shopping), he's allowed to go to my Dad's office to 'chill' there for a few hours. He's so well behaved, and all the staff love him!

It makes me wonder - are people really that stupid or being deliberately cruel?

Surely it doesn't take a lot of brains to figure out that if you leave a car (made of metal) out in the sun, no windows open (but even with your windows down, it still gets hot as hell) you are going to get some really high temperatures in there. It's just beyond me why anybody would leave their dog in a car like that.

I understand that honest mistakes happen... but we all know how unpleasant is when we return to a car that's been parked in full sun for a longer while, so it can't just have escaped his mind. I hope he is at least going to get a hefty fine, not sure there's any chance of him getting anything more serious than that.

Nice to know that at least someone is getting a good summer! Have a good one and enjoy it for me as i suspect that rain will be all i get, lol. Hope the flooding situation up north in the uk is over soon and that all the husky owners there are safe and well. X

I had a friend who was an older lady with a bulldog if she had to take her dog somewhere because she had to go get medication she would leave the car on with the air conditioning on :/ so that he was never left for even a second in the heat :P

Here's my weather for the week :D Its the typical Okanagan summer but this heat usually starts in June. The past couple of years its been taking its sweet time getting here

post-5415-13586056760664_thumb.jpg