He always has to touch me while petting?

Elyse

Hey guys,

So, I've always thought of this as a 'Suka thing', but now I'm wondering if its common for all huskies or just dogs in general.

When I pet Suka, he'll seem to touch me with one of his paws, sometimes he even pushes against me. I'm not sure what to think of it...maybe because I'm petting him he thinks that him just 'touching' me he's 'petting' me back? Or maybe he's just weird!

I took pictures to show what I mean.

post-3404-13586056707937_thumb.jpg

post-3404-13586056714164_thumb.jpg

post-3404-13586056720571_thumb.jpg

post-3404-13586056726563_thumb.jpg

The last picture up there, he put his leg on top of my arm. He does that one a lot too, and he doesn't seem to mind when we 'hold hands' :P

Does anybody know why he does this? Do your huskies/dogs do it too, or is it just a 'Suka' thing?

Luka is the same, just has to be close to me. I love it. It is like he is making sure in his own way that we have a strong pack bond.

Maybe this is why Husky's are lil poops when left alone??

They are dogs that need to be close to us. Maybe it was the Chukchi people that instilled this in them. They worked closely with their dogs, slept with them and generally had a very close bond with these animals so I have read.

My crew tends to do that, too. While a certain amount of it seems to be showing affection and maybe some gratitude, they also like to make sure that they can direct my hand to scratch spots they particularly favor having scratched! :P

Dio will do this to the point where he will scoot himself across the floor away from me on accident, then I either have to scoot closer or wait for him to get up and move back to me.

Its actually absurdly adorable.

Annoying as crap though when Im trying to brush him... lol

I'd never really noticed this until you mentioned it but Polee does this quite a lot. Although not overly affectionate when she does seek a bellly rub etc she generally has to be touching the person who is petting her.

Mines do it too. Actually, they often do it before I even pet them, it's their way of telling me to start scratching on their belly :D Dana usually lays one of per paws on my knee, hand or shoulder if I sit down and also uses it to direct my hand away from her chest to her belly as that's what she really likes :D

Dana always goes in superman mode. She lies back on her back with one front paw stretched into the air, lol.

Ice does that too. Bear is very "handy" but in a different way. She likes to swipe back when you stroke her (when she let's you stroke her), she'll mimic your actions, unfortunately her non retractable claws can be an issue at times, as can her strength. It's a mixed blessing! She also paws at you to get your attention and her standard greeting to dogs involves a lot of paw action too. That bit does confuse me!

Ro likes to tilt his head to the side and lay on my lap for pets, but he also sometimes gets too excited and jerks his head upwards right into my face. I've actually had to mildly correct him for this because he slammed up into my face so hard once that it actually damaged my neck...was a painful couple months. He's A LOT better bout not doing it now, and really it only took a couple times of being fast enough to get his muzzle with my hand and tell him 'EASY"

Dog has a head of stone lol But I think a lot of it has to be with feeling connected with you and maybe like in this case, just a bit too over excited.

Grace does this too! Leans on us first to be petted, then reaches her paw for our other hand, and we hold hands/paw while I pet her. I've always seen it as a sign of affection ( I love you to Mama). :heartbeat: