Career Change - rather odd

Sarah

I've been an assistant credit manager for a good few years now, i've worked in accounts and not gone down the career path i thought i would, which was music therapy with disabled adults / children

I've been thinking of a change of career path, now, this may freak some people out - but i have been seriously considering going into working in a funeral home, preparing the body, dealing with the family and helping them go through the grief.

I don't look at it from a morbid point of view, i look at it as helping the living, giving their loved one the attention and send off they deserve and being there to offer comfort and support through a difficult time.

Has anyone every done this / doing this or do you know anyone who works in the profession? I'm trying to get a realistic view of what it would be like

Having been through the process relatively closely with my niece, the funeral guy was amazing and listened closely to my brothers families wishes and was there to discuss things whenever they wanted. I found it a great comfort knowing she was in safe hands and being looked after until she went on her final journey.

I would say that it would take a special person to do it and not be overwhelmed by others at their time of grief. I personally couldn't do it as I get way too emotional at the slightest thing and I don't think that would look too professional. I also think that the feelings that you have helped people at such a difficult time would give a lot of job satisfation. If you have the personality to deal with it then I would say go for it, I am sure you would do very well.

Thanks Angela - i think that's it - wanting to give comfort to families when they're so troubled with grief.

I think it a job that people don't really give any thought to until they need them, but the help and support given can be a great comfort in helping come to terms with the loss of a loved one.

I think it depends on how you view it - it's helping people, not feeling sad for them, although compassion and sympathy is a huge factor - i think i could go home and think, i helped a family today and made it a bit easier for them

Nope, generally I'm way too empathetic! On the other hand, when a very close lady friend died last year, it was very consoling to have someone to help walk her family through the viewing and the memorial service and presumably all the other things that we don't think of beforehand. [MENTION=4]Sarah[/MENTION], if you have the personality to do it and can maintain the separation of your feelings from theirs then it could be a good challenge / opportunity.

What ever you do in your mid-life crisis I wish you the best. It sounds like it's about as drastic as my change from a programmer to a truck driver ...

Nope, generally I'm way too empathetic! On the other hand, when a very close lady friend died last year, it was very consoling to have someone to help walk her family through the viewing and the memorial service and presumably all the other things that we don't think of beforehand. @Sarah, if you have the personality to do it and can maintain the separation of your feelings from theirs then it could be a good challenge / opportunity.

What ever you do in your mid-life crisis I wish you the best. It sounds like it's about as drastic as my change from a programmer to a truck driver ...

LOL!! I'm not old enough to have a mid life crisis just yet :P

Wishing you luck, Sarah - both in finding the information you're looking for, and in this career path, should you decide to choose it. I can understand wanting the satisfaction of helping others in that sense, rather than working in a more impersonal field...

it's very emotionaly challenging work, some thing you never get used to but learn to deal with, it can wear you down at times, in my job now i watch old people when they die, i talk to the relatives and i'm fine. years ago i worked for barnardos and in a special care baby unit now thats a different emotion all together .

Sarah your be dealin with all ages hun, you'll find emotions you never knew you had, some harder than others.

i suggest you go to a funeral directors explain you want a change of carer and see if you can get a voluntry job for a few weeks, but sure this is for you xxxxxxx