Walking your dog and hot asphalt

aronoiiel

Saw this rather gory picture on facebook about walking your dog on hot asphalt and it brought up a question. I'm honestly not sure if the picture is actually that of a dog's damaged feet after walking on hot asphalt but the question is at what point does it become damaging to the dog? Obviously if it's over 100 degrees and mid afternoon you'd be demented to walk your dog on the asphalt. How long is to long to leave them on it say in 80 degree or 90 degree whether. My dogs don't leave the house if it's over 75 more their own choice than mine. Only potty breaks then back to snoozing till evening. Just curious as mine show obvious discomfort on even warm asphalt and it's a good question with all the heat waves sweeping around to I think :)

Edit: forgot to add what is the damage from minimal to extensive that one should really be looking for in terms of foot care and prolonged exposure to hot terrain?

I don't have asphalt just desert sand and rock - neither of mine are impressed with going out when it's too hot but I don't know if that's because of the heat from the ground or just the heat.

I'd assume that asphalt (( tar and gravel mixed )) would do a pretty serious burn since the tar is going to get hot and stick.

I can tell you none of my dogs are interested in taking a walk in the mid day heat...they'd rather be in the shade taking a nap. But I do know the picture you are referring to, I'm not sure if it was actually hot asphalt that did that either honestly and if it was how much pain and discomfort did the owner have to ignore to let it get to that point!?!

I can tell you none of my dogs are interested in taking a walk in the mid day heat...they'd rather be in the shade taking a nap. But I do know the picture you are referring to, I'm not sure if it was actually hot asphalt that did that either honestly and if it was how much pain and discomfort did the owner have to ignore to let it get to that point!?!

Yeah I mean that picture was pretty dramatic I seriously think that was either someone leaving it in an enclosure of nothing BUT pavement or something more sinister happened. No dog in their right mind would put themselves through that willingly. I do wonder though since dogs pads are sensitive like ours our do they feel heat to a similar degree through their pads as our feet would? I know I don't like walking on hot sand and neither does Kiana LOL she walks in the water at the beach :P

I've seen the picture you mean - red raw and blistered pads :( Looks so so painful

I think the temperature would have to be rather hot with the ground being in direct sun light, people don't think sometimes - if it's a nice day they want to walk the dogs without a thought :(