food begging behavior?

mydiamond

Diamond's old habit of begging for food has just came back several days ago :confused: I tried to do what I previously do--which is ignoring him completely--but it doesn't really work now. He does gave up eventually but the fact that he'd come running whenever someone (especially me??) is holding food annoys me somehow it made me think ignoring him isn't curing this behavior. The good news is he never tried to jump up and steal the food like how he used to do but he still constantly stalks the food holder =\ if I sat down and acted like he wasn't there he'd give up and leave but if I'm standing up, no matter how long I ignore him he won't stop stalking me! :S in fact if I turn my back against him and stay in one place hoping that he'd get bored and gave up, he'd start barking and nudging =\ what is going on? :confused: I thought of saying "no" or shove him away but he's deaf to "no" when he's in stalking mode and touching him in any way would just make him hyper x___x what to do?

Well, if you'd feed the poor guy once in awhile, maybe he would not have to beg. Kidding of course. I agree, just continue to ignore him. Eventually, he will realize he's wasting his time.

Kobe is 13 months old now, me and my family ignore him everyday at breakfast, dinner and whenever we have snacks and he still just sits there staring.

Also he never barks, infact he has only barked about 9 or 10 times his whole life but all those times where when i was eating my dinner. I think ive just gotten used to him doing this !

As long as he's really never getting any reward for his behaviour I'd just continue to ignore him. Sasha will sit and wait, but I'm apt to throw something her way so she's got good reason. She's learned though that getting in my face (( translate that to "too close or talkative" )) gets her nothing.

Avalanche, on the other hand, isn't food driven at all - he could care less what I have.

Considering what I just said, consistency in your behaviour is going to affect how D responds .... my labs I've all trained to go away, sit / lay patiently and you might get something if there's anything left on my plate. (( Labs are all past tense, damnit! ))

Luka sits patiently under my feet waiting while we eat dinner or whatever. I ignore him so hopefully he will give up someday. As long as keeps behaving himself I can live with it. I put him in the crate and he freaks. Which is insane considering he is crated Monday through Friday for a few hours while I work and is quiet as can be. Lol

Keep ignoring him and don't give in even a little bit :)

Glala and Dana are quite the food beggars but not with me, lol. Ruth (the owner) is quite a softy with them and usually gives in. I don't blame her in any way though, I would probably do the same if I lived on my own with just my dogs :D I never gave in from the very beginning, I only give them some on certain moments/places and they seem to understand that quite good. The definitive indicator that I give or won't give them some is that I announce it beforehand. If I don't announce it, they mostly ignore it. Now when there's food on the table they now ignore me perfectly but run to Ruth instead :rolleyes:

Echoing the others, if you ignore him long enough he'll realize that there's nothing to gain from this behavior.

My boys will sometimes sit and stare at me when I first sit down with food but every once in a while I'll give them a bite or two so they continue. Like [MENTION=5355]Al Jones[/MENTION] above my boys know they get nothing if they sit too close while I'm eating. Mine also will go lay down or go away when I give the command so they aren't much of a problem.

What I have noticed with mine is that when I am eating, even if I am on the bed (yes, I admit I do eat in the bed sometimes), which means I am sort of at his level, he will leave me alone anyway because I never give anything to him while I am eating. It's true, I sometimes let him lick the plate or give him some tidbits, after I am finished, but he know it's not happening before that and he knows he needs to be called, so he is usually not pestering me.

Other members of the family however can't eat peacefully without a door between them and the dog, but they have brought it upon themselves by encouraging this sort of behaviour. They always give him food when he is begging.

The key is definitely ignoring him, he will give up at some point. There's no point in continuing the behaviour if there is no reward, as Al Jones stated.

I think you just need to keep ignoring him, like others have said, until he finally gets the idea that you won't give in :)

Correct me if I'm completely wrong but didn't you go away recently? Is there any chance Diamond was given food he shouldn't have had during that time? Just seems a bit weird to come out of no where.

I think you just need to keep ignoring him, like others have said, until he finally gets the idea that you won't give in :)

Correct me if I'm completely wrong but didn't you go away recently? Is there any chance Diamond was given food he shouldn't have had during that time? Just seems a bit weird to come out of no where.

now there's a thought :eek: but there is no evidence so can't blame anyone but in all honesty yea that's possible :o but "this is just him pushing his boundaries AGAIN" makes more sense to my ears right now LOL thanks everyone would continue what I'm doing :D