Virtual Holiday

Sarah

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh, for me the first stop would have to be back in Japan, not any of the greater Tokyo complex - I have no love for big cities and Tokyo was way to big when I was there. Of course, I'd have to make one exception to the Tokyo are, I'd have to stop at Fujisan and make the pilgrimage to the top again.

post-5355-13586057268418_thumb.jpg

I've used Google Earth some to see how much the island of Hokkaido has changed - and has it ever changed! - so I'd like to hop over there, rent a motorbike and spend a couple of weeks touring some of the sites I saw when I was stationed there.

While I was stationed at Chitose, I wandered around the island of Hokkaido. The TV Tower in Sapporo is almost as tall as the Eiffel Tower and the view from it is exceptional.

post-5355-13586057270149_thumb.jpg

Now, don't get me wrong, Sapporo is a fantastic city, and in the winter it becomes a city of fantasy with its Snow Festival. The year I was there, there was a 1880's train station (more or less) at full size.

Here are a couple of pictures from the latest festival.

post-5355-13586057270834_thumb.jpg

But being me, I have to head out into the country. Noboribetsu spa was one of my favorite hiding places - where I'd go to get away from the rest of the G.I.'s It, at the time I was there, was almost a locals only collection of hot springs and bath houses.

post-5355-13586057271099_thumb.jpg

And my final stop before heading on from this virtual memory would be to spend a few days on the shores of Lake Shikotsku ( part of the Shikotsku - Toya National park ). We G.I.s had a summer camp up there, cabins, US / Japanese eatery - but the water, even in midsummer was too cold to go in. The kids would, but then they'd be out in a few minutes turning blue. Not to be outdone, at one time there was a "Nessie" who inhabited Lake Shikotsku - take that with a grain of salt.

post-5355-13586057271288_thumb.jpg

After that, and this may seem really odd to some, I'd like to back to Viet Nam, even though we were winding down the "conflict" while I was there I love the country - I was in I Corps area of Quang Tri / Quang Nam Provinces, btw - and generally liked the people. VN is one of the few places that I'd consider settling for the rest of my life - if I had an internet connection! and where I'd like to be, I guarantee there is no internet!

post-5355-13586057270607_thumb.jpg

Edited by Al Jones

lets go see Lake Toya and the Volcano there

Lake Toya itself is in the crater of a volcano - long dormant. Wish I could remember the name of that mountain that's off in the distance. While it looks like it, that is not Mt Fuji, Mt Fuji is something like 2000 miles to the south.

I was out driving around - I had a car with a 360cc engine, of course the Japanese also drive on the left hand side of the road. Got to Lake Toya and found a ryokan ( Japanese style hotel ) and got a room for the night. The owners son ( about the same age I was then - mid 20's ) asked if I'd mind talking with him so he could practice his English. I seldom minded, it gave me a chance to practice my Japanese and really talk with "local folks".

I'm about ready to head out to get something to eat when I hear this knock on my door - it's the son with two ladies in tow and more food than I had any idea what to do with. He asked if I minded that he took the liberty of having dinner prepared and we could eat as we talked. Did I mind?? You can figure the answer to that one. All I really remember of that evening was that after the light pre-meal stuff was out of the way I found this HUGE fish in front of me and lots of tempura teshoka ( er, deep fried vegetables in a light batter ) - just about matched by the one in front of him! I do seem to remember some Sapporo beer in there somewhere, it a light beer, heavy on the rice and light on the malts but an excellent companion drink to most anything.

We spent some time on the room balcony, talking about Toya and what it was like to live there; then he bid goodnight and I headed to bed (( had my choice of a huge western style or Japanese style )). Shortly after I got up, I was presented with a Japanese breakfast - mostly an egg-nog type drink and some light pastries. Then headed down to a car that didn't want to start - One of the girls came out, went in and a few minutes later the son re-appears, figures I'm having some problems and goes out to get a mechanic - who fixes a loose wire (( oh, this car makes an old Volkswagen bug look like a limo! )) and says that the hotel will pay him. By this time I'm figuring on a bill that's too big for my poor GI wallet (( not really, but probably more than I intended ))

Grand total for the night - 10,000 yen - at than time about US$30 (( 365 yen to the dollar ))

I priced a room at one of the ryokans at Toya while I was browsing looking for pictures - room rates are all now in excess of $100 a night ... oh, the way things do change in 40 years!

Edited by Al Jones

Lake Toya itself is in the crater of a volcano - long dormant. Wish I could remember the name of that mountain that's off in the distance. While it looks like it, that is not Mt Fuji, Mt Fuji is something like 2000 miles to the south.

I was out driving around - I had a car with a 360cc engine, of course the Japanese also drive on the left hand side of the road. Got to Lake Toya and found a ryokan ( Japanese style hotel ) and got a room for the night. The owners son ( about the same age I was then - mid 20's ) asked if I'd mind talking with him so he could practice his English. I seldom minded, it gave me a chance to practice my Japanese and really talk with "local folks".

I'm about ready to head out to get something to eat when I hear this knock on my door - it's the son with two ladies in tow and more food than I had any idea what to do with. He asked if I minded that he took the liberty of having dinner prepared and we could eat as we talked. Did I mind?? You can figure the answer to that one. All I really remember of that evening was that after the light pre-meal stuff was out of the way I found this HUGE fish in front of me and lots of tempura teshoka ( er, deep fried vegetables in a light batter ) - just about matched by the one in front of him! I do seem to remember some Sapporo beer in there somewhere, it a light beer, heavy on the rice and light on the malts but an excellent companion drink to most anything.

We spent some time on the room balcony, talking about Toya and what it was like to live there; then he bid goodnight and I headed to bed (( had my choice of a huge western style or Japanese style )). Shortly after I got up, I was presented with a Japanese breakfast - mostly an egg-nog type drink and some light pastries. Then headed down to a car that didn't want to start - One of the girls came out, went in and a few minutes later the son re-appears, figures I'm having some problems and goes out to get a mechanic - who fixes a loose wire (( oh, this car makes an old Volkswagen bug look like a limo! )) and says that the hotel will pay him. By this time I'm figuring on a bill that's too big for my poor GI wallet (( not really, but probably more than I intended ))

Grand total for the night - 10,000 yen - at than time about US$30 (( 365 yen to the dollar ))

I priced a room at one of the ryokans at Toya while I was browsing looking for pictures - room rates are all now in excess of $100 a night ... oh, the way things do change in 40 years!

so whats the name of the lake that surrounds that beautiful site, if Lake Toya is in the Volcano? It looks great in any season too!

so whats the name of the lake that surrounds that beautiful site, if Lake Toya is in the Volcano? It looks great in any season too!

The lake is Lake Toya and sets in the crater - which is many miles across, those small mounds in the middle of the crater are the left overs from past eruptions. I think it could be compared to Lake Shasta in that it's a huge lake.

In any season - no, Lake Toya freezes over in the winter, lake Shikotsku doesn't - but the temps on Hokkaiddo run between 0 and 40 below in the winter ( anything above 0F is considered a warm day! ). The only reason Shikotsku doesn't freeze if that it's fed by many under water hot springs - or so I was told - the water is still way to cold in either lake for comfortable swimming!

The lake is Lake Toya and sets in the crater - which is many miles across, those small mounds in the middle of the crater are the left overs from past eruptions. I think it could be compared to Lake Shasta in that it's a huge lake.

In any season - no, Lake Toya freezes over in the winter, lake Shikotsku doesn't - but the temps on Hokkaiddo run between 0 and 40 below in the winter ( anything above 0F is considered a warm day! ). The only reason Shikotsku doesn't freeze if that it's fed by many under water hot springs - or so I was told - the water is still way to cold in either lake for comfortable swimming!

Ahhh I get it now! Thanks! It looks a lot like Crater Lake in Oregon, which is still on my to do list, I've been to Shasta and Lassen, and every other park in CA and a few in WA and most of the parks and sights in the Appalachians, the southwest, but no Crater Lake nor Yellowstone. Have not done international travel since I was a small child with my family. I will have to do my usa list first and save international travels for my 60-70s as my parents did.

:woohoo:virtual travel !!! WHAT WE DOING NEXT?

How many days did [MENTION=4]Sarah[/MENTION] book us at the hotel, there is surely more to see here in the countryside of Japan? Not a City fan myself, but could use a night out on the town for drinks! anyone hungry yet? room service? :P

Well, I like to eat and Sapporo is quite the cosmopolitan city. When i was there we had the options of Japanese ( of course ), sushi ( of course ) as well as a couple of Italian, German, Austrian and Indian eateries.

According to TripAdvisor there are 496 restaurants of an innumerable variety.

When I switched the view at TripAdvisor to "Things to do" there were a few I recognized, but most of them are from after the Winter Olympics in 1972. (I left Japan in 1970)

Like most cities - and Sapporo is the 4th largest city in Japan (( wasn't when I was there!! )) - there's plenty to do after the sun goes down and in the winter the sun goes down early! It seemed like there were only 6 - 7 hours of sunshine during the winter. (( Well, we'd go in to work in the dark and 8 hours later we'd leave in the dark! ))

But let me be nice and say that I won't go into what a GI does off duty, Marc might find that a little difficult to condone.... :)

One of the things I did do while I was there was to visit the 1970 Worlds Fair

I ran across this video which brought back many many memories! Hope you all don't mind my stepping back 40+ years for that one!

Edited by Al Jones

ooh did someone mention food??

not sure about sushi though myself :S raw fish seems like it could be a bit chewy

well if they're cooked by an unexperienced chef, yes! But in most Japanese chefs it doesn't happen ;) you won't even realize it's raw :D sooooo who's up for sushi?

post-2850-13586057283317_thumb.jpg

well if they're cooked by an unexperienced chef, yes! But in most Japanese chefs it doesn't happen ;) you won't even realize it's raw :D sooooo who's up for sushi?

[ATTACH=CONFIG]51445[/ATTACH]

ooh I dunno, is it nice?

im always telling my kids to try things once so oh go on then. pass the sushi

I've just about worn out my time, it's time for someone else to come in and put up a destination ... @Sarah, how about your dream virtual vacation? (( Or don't get me started more with some of the things I did while in Japan - I had a blast over there and oddly enough only got into trouble one time in two and a half years! ))

Okay, one more story:

One of the guys I worked with asked me where I took off to on the weekends ( which weren't really weekends since we were working rotating shift ). When I told him that one of my favourite haunts was Noboribetsu Spa he asked if he could go with me next time. Sure, no big deal.

So, okay, time to draw a picture. The spa itself was on the ground floor, but the entrance was on the first floor ( yeh they number floors in Japan like they do in Europe ) You go in, get your ticket and head downstairs to the lockers. Uh, since Japanese aren't particularly body conscious it's a co-ed locker area. No one else there so I stripped and draping my little towel ( let's say 10 x 20 inches, more or less ) in front of me and suggesting that he should do the same, we headed into the spa proper. First to the wash area, little stools with running water and soap so that you're clean before you get into the pools.

post-5355-13586057404714_thumb.jpg

Picture two rows of pools running from front to back, each pool being 8 - 10 feet across with plenty of room on the steps into the pool to set and stretch out. The pools are hottest at the rear left and coldest at the rear right and the temperature progresses down as you go around the lines of pools.

I left my friend washing up and headed to one of the temperate pools at the near end, pointed out to him where I'd be and told him to come over when he was comfortable.

I'd run into this one fellow, probably a doctor or some professional ( don't really know that I ever did know what he did, he just struck me as being in one of the "professional fields") and he was sitting and his kids were playing in the end pool.

post-5355-13586057405656_thumb.jpg

So I just started to chat with him as I eased myself into the not quite hot water. The friend from base comes over and kinda sinks into the water - like it's almost too warm for him. I introduce the two of them and we're all sitting there chit chatting - - - when his wife walks over wearing about as much as the rest of us are. Being a true southern gentleman the fellow from base stands up as he's introduced to the lady but forgets that he has a towel that he really should be holding onto. He turns a bright red ( which would have been appropriate had we been in a warmer pool ), she giggles, he turns a brighter red - I mean he was now glowing! and her husband and I are sitting the just guffawing!!! Poor kid never did take me up on an invitation to go back up to the spa ....

Edited by Al Jones