Sarah

Would it make you more aware?  

12 members have voted

1. 1. Would it make you more aware?

• Yes
    • No
    • Sometimes

Would putting calories on Menus help?

Some of the country's biggest fast food chains are starting to list the calorie content of food on their menus.

Calories are a way of measuring how much energy is in food and are used as a way of measuring how much food you're taking in.

what do you think? would it make you more aware?? Poll included above :)

I voted no... but probably should've voted sometimes.

I don't usually eat in restaurants (even McDonalds or KFC, I don't usually eat there), but when I do, I want to enjoy myself and not count calories. So even if they had calories values for the dishes, I would not care anyway.

Even if they displayed calories - and McDonalds do and their meals are not that horrific in terms of calories - some people might go "Oh, but a cheeseburger is only 300 calories, then it's fine to have one everyday." But it's not really, is it? Same with restaurants, a meal a week is fine, but not having a restaurant meal everyday. I think no matter how you put it, even with calorie counting and all, you just cannot eat in a restaurant every day and not overeat, because of portion size, having more courses than you normally have etc.

In my opinion, displaying calories is not necessary (well, not if you've got common sense). People should just be aware that it's not good for you and the key is moderation. I would make an analogy with diet drinks - no calories but it's been shown that people who regularly drink diet soda are fatter than people who drink regular sugary soda. Sometimes having the calories displayed might trick you into thinking that having a meal at a fast food everyday is fine, just because you go for the meals lower in calories.

So I think that displaying the calories is not really addressing the real issue, which is that fast food is, quite simply put, crap (although tasty crap, but still) and you shouldn't eat that on a regular basis. If they want to make people more aware, they should emphasize how unhealthy that sort of food is and how excess is never good for you. Knowing the amount of calories will just be another excuse for people to feel good about eating in McDonalds.

Edited by persephona

I agree to some extent with [MENTION=542]persephona[/MENTION]. It's not always about the calories but about all the other things that can be put in food. Saturated fat or hydrogenated fat for example. The odd McDonalds is not going to harm anyone but it's the kids that have junk food every day that we have to worry about. In France they are much more careful about what is allowed to be put into food than here in the UK and maybe we should be following their example.

We eat good (reasonably) healthy food at home every day, so I don't think I would bother to read what the calorie intake of a meal in a restaurant is, but my daughter who is a tiny little thing ( :P ) and watches her weight, would probably like information like that - whether she will be dissuaded to eat it because of the calories, is another matter all together - she loves her food :)

I already read calorie content anyway n for this reason I don't eat McDonalds etc and I've cut down how many pizzas I eat etc I've found myself eating better now that I'm actually more aware ov what I'm actually eating where as before I didn't care , I don't think there's much point in putting calories on menus if ur going there as a treat but if I was eating out a lot I'd wanna know

Sent from my ST18i using Forum Runner

I am pretty much always on a diet and it would help me if they put the calorie or atleast the fat content on menu's....although thinking about it you could look up the average calorie content for your favourite takeaways and write it on the takeaway menu!! think I might do that!