Thoughts and Prayers, Please...

sutsibe

Thought I'd give an update and ask for your thoughts and prayers... Poor Rebel is back at the vet's again today - he's had a rough couple of months! He had a urinary tract infection several months ago, and came through it ok (then had a couple of growths removed, then had to have his tail amputated after it was injured in an argument with another dog!). The urinary tract infection is back, with a vengeance, and I suspect that he has some bladder stones blocking him up - he's quite uncomfortable! :(

He's in getting x-rays to see what's up, and will face surgery if they feel it's necessary. He's an older guy, at 12 years of age, so I'm a little concerned, even though he had no problem a couple of months ago with surgery - this is more invasive! Keep both of us in your thoughts, please!

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Gigi, I am so sorry to hear your news. Poor Rebel he certainly has been through it the last few months. Fingers, toes and paws are crossed this end that all goes well. I think [MENTION=44]siberian_wolf[/MENTION]'s prayer says it all.

Not only thoughts and prayers, Gigi, but Husky Hugs from the two girls are on their way.

Thank you, everyone! The vet called me around 11;30, after having taken x-rays. There are no stones, which is likely to be very good news... Likely, because it's still possible that there is a bladder tumor present that didn't show up on the x-ray. She had sedated him for the x-ray and managed to express his bladder, so he should be a lot more comfortable. I'm hoping he had just retained so much urine over the last couple of days that that had made it harder for him to release it, and that having it emptied will now solve that problem. They had given me a pretty high-powered antibiotic (Ciprofloxacin) last Friday, so I'll continue giving that, as well as dried cranberries (to acidify the urine - helping to keep crystals from forming, and eventually forming stones). He also tends to not drink enough water, so I'll make sure to add water to his food to make sure he gets enough water!

Hope the vet finds a cause and can cure it. At 12 he may be a little long in the tooth but he's still got a few more loving years in him...

Our prayers, howls and best wishes come attached ...

Thanks, Al! I had to really consider his age, as I gave serious thought about surgery. Money's awfully tight, and if his health hadn't been good otherwise, I would have found it hard to put him through another surgery and spend money I don't readily have (fortunately my vet will take payments!) to get him another 6 months of questionable health! He IS pretty healthy for his age, however, so... I AM very glad that he ended up not needing surgery!

Thank so much, everyone! I'll give him the hugs and snuggles tomorrow when I pick him up - he had to stay overnight tonight... He wasn't awake enough by the time I would have had to pick him up before heading out to work this afternoon, and I wouldn't have wanted to leave him home alone that groggy, so it was best. Just knowing that there aren't any stones in the bladder is very good - as long as there aren't any tumors in his bladder, I think that the prognosis should be quite good...