How to get your husky to stay in their crate

LittleLuka

So i know ive seen people mentioning zip ties on here to secure their dog's crate. Where exactly do you put these? And any other suggestions on making your crate "husky proof"? Luka is only 4 months old and is escaping his crate. When i go to look at it, nothing is wrong. Door's not open or anything. It appears he must be bending part of it to get out. It's hard to tell. Needless to say, this is a major problem considering he likes to chew on furniture. :S

I know some people use cable ties i think or something similar? I am guessing they tie them from the door onto the cage... I havnt had this problem luckily Skye doesnt really really try and escape she just shouts lol

I never had this problem with mine, but they dont stay in crates unless we take them away from home. With Gizmo was a puppy, he was crated to start with, we left the crate door open when we were about and would feed him in his crate and also fuss him when he was in there too. If we had to leave him in there we left him with a blanket, a bowl of water and a kong stuffed with something tasty to keep him busy. That worked for us.

Marley and Bandit where littermates so they came to us together and they where quite happy sharing a crate together!

Never had to use cable ties, but I would assume if you put one on each side of the door to connect it to the crate, he won't be able to open it anymore?

Or connecting the top bit to the other sides, if he is escaping through the top.

Another option would be removing all furniture from a room (like a hallway for example) and leaving him there instead of the crate. That's worked really well for us. And it would satisfy his need to explore as well, as he wouldn't be confined in a crate. But I would not recommend this unless he is reliably potty trained.

well i had to leave work and go try to fix his crate. my roommate had to leave for work and he was still able to escape. i wound up zip tying every little section to prevent him from being able to knock it down. i also gave him a kong stuffed with food, treats, and peanut butter and of course left his favorite toy for him. HOPEFULLY i will come home to a crated happy dog ;)

Another option would be removing all furniture from a room (like a hallway for example) and leaving him there instead of the crate. That's worked really well for us. And it would satisfy his need to explore as well, as he wouldn't be confined in a crate. But I would not recommend this unless he is reliably potty trained.

i would love to leave him out eventually where he can roam but for now crating is the best way. not to mention we are moving this weekend so there are boxes everywhere. But thanks for the idea! we may start that after we move and slowly allow him more run of the house!

• 2 weeks later...

We started with cable ties..now use bolts with large washers to secure any part of the crate we feel she might try and escape from. Her door is latched shut and we are currently keeping 4 locks on it to keep her from escaping! I know this sounds like alot but it's a huge step down from the solid Aluminum crate she was in!

We started with cable ties..now use bolts with large washers to secure any part of the crate we feel she might try and escape from. Her door is latched shut and we are currently keeping 4 locks on it to keep her from escaping! I know this sounds like alot but it's a huge step down from the solid Aluminum crate she was in!

we used zip ties so far and they are def working! thanks for the bolts and washer ideas considering he's just now 4 1/2 months old i may have to change as he gets older. lol it's crazy how good they are at escaping :P

we used zip ties so far and they are def working! thanks for the bolts and washer ideas considering he's just now 4 1/2 months old i may have to change as he gets older. lol it's crazy how good they are at escaping :P

I'll try and snap a photo tonight of Cj's wire dog box.