What is a misconception you had before getting your first Husky?

ICE & SHADOW

I didn't know huskies came in all shapes and sizes (and there wasn't just one strict standard like in other dog breeds), and how a husky can be a purebred but from 'racing lines' instead of 'showing lines'.

I had no idea about the differences between the genders - and if anything, even though I prefer males, I would have thought a female to be calmer & less mischievous - WRONG! At least in my case, haha.

(did not realize this post was about getting your first Husky - my misconception is based off of getting my second husky, hah)

Edited by lovemysiberian

I don't know about misconception, but I wasn't aware there could be piebald or agouti huskies. Or mostly black for that matter. :)

Same for me! Someone told me Ryder looked agouti on this forum and my first thought was "They think he looks like a rat?!?!!" :P

I didn't expect such dramatic coat changes. Ryder's gone from near black, to an almost white colour, he's settled on "wolf grey" now. Going by husky charts!

I worked for my breeder for a year before getting my first sib, so I got all my misconceptions out before then. I didn't know about the parti- eyes. My bitch's sire had the left eye blue on the top, brown on the bottom, and the right eye was brown on top with blue on the bottom. I also didn't know about the tendency to climb. We had one dog in the kennel that was neutered and would climb the entire line of ten foot kennels to go visiting before returning to his own.

I don't know if it would be considered 'misconception' but more that I didn't understand that huskies are 'thinking dogs' Both of mine have used thought processes to work out 'problems' in their lives (how to open a door, for example).

I think the neatest thing I've learned about huskies is that:

Huskies are just like any other canine - only human.

Kinda says it all, doesn't it.

Same for me! Someone told me Ryder looked agouti on this forum and my first thought was "They think he looks like a rat?!?!!" :P

I didn't expect such dramatic coat changes. Ryder's gone from near black, to an almost white colour, he's settled on "wolf grey" now. Going by husky charts!

im shocked at how much Luka's coat color has changed as well. He went from wolf grey to very sable (yellowish) to almost black now. crazy!

Misconceptions, Hah! Like too many others, I went to the shelter and found Misty. I had no idea what I was getting into. On one hand she put every other dog I've ever had to shame, on the other she wasn't just smarter she was different!

When I got Sasha I thought I was prepared for "Husky" till she bit me! (Bitch!) so I started an entirely new learning curve. We still have discussion about food but she's a lot better about me doing things around her when she's eating.

Avalanche is my idiot child - at two, he's still a puppy and I think he's going to be a puppy till he's too old to be anything but an old dog! While he might not be a Sibe ( and don't ask, I just call him an Alaskan Husky and let it go! )

Is anyone really prepared for their first Husky???

I didn't realise how drastically their coat colours/patterns could change throughout their lives, and I also actually didn't know the difference between a husky and a malamute! I knew they were different breeds, and I knew malamutes were bigger, but because I'd never really had much experience with either breed in real life I wouldn't have been able to tell you if a dog I was looking at was a husky or mal unless I had one of each breed next to each other so I could compare :P

I didn't realise how drastically their coat colours/patterns could change throughout their lives' date=' and I also actually didn't know the difference between a husky and a malamute! I knew they were different breeds, and I knew malamutes were bigger, but because I'd never really had much experience with either breed in real life I wouldn't have been able to tell you if a dog I was looking at was a husky or mal unless I had one of each breed next to each other so I could compare :P[/quote']

even now I struggle lol

I had read they rarely barked and were no good as guard dogs.:rolleyes:Our Mystie barks constantly and goes crazy when any one knocks the door.She annoys our neighbours ,as she never stops barking when they are outside in their gardens etc.Just goes to prove they are all individuals .:)

Edited by basketcase687

I too thought all the hype about how different they were to other breeds was just that - hype. Until I got Ozzy :eek:

Two months later we got Micah, even after reading that it is not a good idea to get another puppy unless your first husky is fully trained - yeah, like my huskies, I don't listen.

The shedding - I honestly read all the threads and thought, what is the big deal, mine have blown their coats and it is not as bad as everyone seems to say - until their second coat blow - Yikes

It has been good though ........ I wouldn't change one single thing about them, or the learning curve they took us on :)

I have to admit though - without this forum, I honestly don't know if we would have coped as well as we have.

Misconceptions about huskies before I got my first Husky, Alice....Hmmmmm that's easy....I thought they could be trained to come when you call them! Apparently they don't always agree with when it's time to "come"

:lolman: