going in the house ...

Removed #5

Okay, everyone knows what I'm talking about. House training a puppy normally isn't too hard, but I've got a full grown dog who insist the kitchen floor is her place to do her thing.

Keeping it mopped up isn't a problem, but getting rid of the traces that bring her back to it seem to be. I've tried just mopping with water and detergent; also added in vinegar, then stronger vinegar and no luck.

Avalanche is good about holding overnight or if he really has to go out he'll wake me up.

Sasha on the other hand can't / won't. She'll go to the door during the day and then go between me an the door so it's obvious, but after I've gone to sleep the only bet is that I'll have a mess in the kitchen in the morning.

(( and no I don't have a crate or I'd be trying it ))

What products - that I can get here in the US - has anyone used successfully to deter her using the kitchen floor. I'm pretty much at wits end ( and for a half wit to begin with, that stretching it some! ) need some suggestions, please!!

Is it the same area on the kitchen floor? Has her health been checked to make sure its not a health issue, like maybe she has a weak bladder and she can't help it?

What percent of acetic acid was in the vinegar? I believe 5% is normal vinegar, and 10% is pickling vinegar? I know my Dad uses 15% to kill our driveway weeds, so maybe you just need a stronger vinegar to mask the smell?

(I'm just guessing, here!)

Would it be possible to wake up in the middle of the night to try to 'catch' her in the act? Maybe she doesn't know that peeing inside at night is a bad thing, only during the day is bad!?

I have this floor cleaner substance that has a "pet urine odor killer" label on it. Works wonders. Dime's previous owner also recommends spraying bug spray to the site and keep the dogs away from it for an hour or two, but I never knew is it effective or not.

they sell some pet odor remover spray at walmart and it really is the most effective i've found. i'd have to look when i get home for the brand name but it works better than the more expensive spray i've purchased from the pet store and numerous other places. i love it. it prevents them from using the same spot.

I've also heard about the odour removing spray but never been sure if that's going to be a good thing or not. Lets face it the kitchen floor is probably going to be easier to mop up than a room that's carpeted. Besides in this case, it sounds more like a habitual thing rather than scent marking so the chances are she'll automatically do it regardless of whether it smells or not.

I'm wondering if she's going to the toilet right by the back door where she would normally exit to go and do her business? The fact that she's telling you in the day time and not messing is suggesting to me that maybe she just can't hold it in overnight? Or some other issue to do with bladder control over a prolonged period. Is she spayed? Sometimes this can lead to bladder troubles and yeah I know you probably know all of this anyway and are probably way ahead of me but hey, thought i'd put my two pence worth in anyway!

I've also heard about the odour removing spray but never been sure if that's going to be a good thing or not. Lets face it the kitchen floor is probably going to be easier to mop up than a room that's carpeted. Besides in this case, it sounds more like a habitual thing rather than scent marking so the chances are she'll automatically do it regardless of whether it smells or not.

I'm wondering if she's going to the toilet right by the back door where she would normally exit to go and do her business? The fact that she's telling you in the day time and not messing is suggesting to me that maybe she just can't hold it in overnight? Or some other issue to do with bladder control over a prolonged period. Is she spayed? Sometimes this can lead to bladder troubles and yeah I know you probably know all of this anyway and are probably way ahead of me but hey, thought i'd put my two pence worth in anyway!

Oh, I'll agree that the kiitchen is a lot easier to mop up then the living room rug, but I'd rather not have to do either.

It's not the doorway thing, they both are on 30 foot leads that are hooked outside the front door. I've had her outside and come in and leave me a pile ... which really irritates me. The suggestion was made once that she might have been raised on concrete so the tile might feel more "right".

We go out and I praise her to no end when she takes a duimp outside, but that night ... oh well.

No, she's not spayed yet, I'm going to have that done shortly. This is the dog from an unknown out of San Antonio so I've been watching to see if anyone was lookig and at thesix month mark no one has ... so she's mine and she's gonna get fixed, just after she comes off heat! (( perfect timiing ))

Oops, have and ICQ chat request ... I may be back later, I don't know what I'm doing to day except running incircles.

Hmmm. Okay, so it's not a complication of spaying. I would suggest that it's a change of environment, stress etc but not at 6 months down the line.

My next thought would be maybe it's a punishment of sorts but I don't get that impression from what you've said.

The concrete thing would make sense to me but only if she was consistently holding it in until she could relieve herself properly on the floor.

So now I'm running out of ideas other than to ask what conditions she was kept in before? Has she ever had to hold it in and go outside? Perhaps she had free reign and could go on a bit of newspaper overnight if required, therefore never been fully trained in the first place. Ice can run outside for half an hour then come back in and pee straight away on the carpet! He doesn't do it very often to be fair but he used to because when we got him at four months he was being kept in a crate and had not been trained at all! He was far more interested in playing than acknowledging his need to pee, until it was too late. I appreciate that my trip down memory lane isn't really helping much but I can't help but wonder if maybe something similar is behind all this in Avalanche's situation?

Wrong dog, Avalanche pretty much takes care of his stuff outside; It's Sasha who's the problem and as for history, I have none on her except for her time with me.

I'm inclined to try one of the scent removing cleaners - but have been reluctant to since I don't want to move the problem from the tile to the carpet. There are times I just don't understand - and this is one of them.

Thanks for the comments ... you're running down the same thought path I have been ....

Wrong dog, Avalanche pretty much takes care of his stuff outside; It's Sasha who's the problem and as for history, I have none on her except for her time with me.

I'm inclined to try one of the scent removing cleaners - but have been reluctant to since I don't want to move the problem from the tile to the carpet. There are times I just don't understand - and this is one of them.

Thanks for the comments ... you're running down the same thought path I have been ....

Thanks and sorry for the schoolgirl error. Good luck Al. X

Thanks and sorry for the schoolgirl error. Good luck Al. X

That wasn't a problem I seldom remember who belongs to whom! Especially if there are multiple dogs involved.

It was working for a while when I left them on lead and left the door open but since she's come into heat, I can't do that - I really do not need a bunch of half breed puppies. Half breed Husky and coyote might be cute - but I think they'd redefine aggressive!