Strangest Animals

valkyries

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[h=4]Chinese Giant Salamander[/h]giant-salamander.jpg

[h=6](Images via xinhuanet and ZSL)[/h]Something tells us these giant salamanders were never called for in any witch’s recipe. Seriously, look at that thing! That lives under some people’s porches! The United States is also home to a giant salamander called the Hellbender, and it’s…well, the name fits. However, it is not as endangered as the shockingly strange-looking Chinese cousin. The Chinese giant salamander can grow to be nearly six feet long.

Aye-aye

post-6239-13586058478526_thumb.jpg

The Aye-aye (Daubentonia madagascariensis) is a strepsirrhine native to Madagascar that combines rodent-like teeth with a long, thin middle finger to fill the same ecological niche as a woodpecker. It is the world's largest nocturnal primate, and is characterized by its unique method of finding food; it taps on trees to find grubs, then gnaws holes in the wood and inserts its elongated middle finger to pull the grubs out.Daubentonia is the only genus in the family Daubentoniidae and infraorder Chiromyiformes. The Aye-aye is the only extant member of the genus (although it is currently an endangered species); a second species (Daubentonia robusta) was exterminated over the last few centuries.

I also think NARWHALS are strange, I almost didn't believe they were real or were extinct, when I was young, I kinda thought of them like mythical unicorns:)

post-6239-13586058479211_thumb.jpg