Stealing!

Sarah

I broke the rules once (ok several times) when I was in high school. My mom learned that to get it through my thick head not to break the rules was to take my cell phone. She for a while would actually drive me to and from work after school. That was really embarrassing. I hated not being able to talk to my friends or drive myself to and from work. Most of the time my mom would punish me by doing something that would cause embarrassment. Not embarrassment to the point that I need therapy now lol but enough that I learned...most of the time lol.

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

LOL she's no phone and internet over the summer holiday - however if she behaves and bucks her ideas up she will earn back her things

Lol... beware if she's not complaining much, she might've found alternative solutions (i.e. cheap pay as you go phone etc). When I was that age, I always fought with my mother and she'd always take the power cable from my computer (it was a desktop PC, not that easily moved + it took lots of space). What she didn't know is that for a modest sum, I bought a new one from the computer shop. As for the phone, I had a cheap second one hidden somewhere in my room :D

To be fair, I was never one to care for punishments, if I wanted to do something, I did it, regardless of the consequences so we did fight a lot... but I never stole from them. Even if it was just change, I always asked before going through their wallets.

I don't know her, but I would try a harsher punishment - something with more direct consequences. Technically, not having a phone or computer will not significantly affect your life and you'll learn to adapt anyway (I really do hope teenagers nowadays are not that reliant on technology!!! If so, all hope is lost lol). It has to be something to teach her a lesson...

Lol... beware if she's not complaining much, she might've found alternative solutions (i.e. cheap pay as you go phone etc). When I was that age, I always fought with my mother and she'd always take the power cable from my computer (it was a desktop PC, not that easily moved + it took lots of space). What she didn't know is that for a modest sum, I bought a new one from the computer shop. As for the phone, I had a cheap second one hidden somewhere in my room :D

To be fair, I was never one to care for punishments, if I wanted to do something, I did it, regardless of the consequences so we did fight a lot... but I never stole from them. Even if it was just change, I always asked before going through their wallets.

I don't know her, but I would try a harsher punishment - something with more direct consequences. Technically, not having a phone or computer will not significantly affect your life and you'll learn to adapt anyway (I really do hope teenagers nowadays are not that reliant on technology!!! If so, all hope is lost lol). It has to be something to teach her a lesson...

my front garden needs weeding how about that? one way to earn the money stolen going off what Becky said at £1 an hour (which is slave labour granted) it won't take her 2 hours to do it lol

you could just wait 10-20 yrs and tell her then.... that you knew she stole it, then she will live her adult life with some guilt and shame, as was done to me! I thought I was getting away with taking the change my dad had in his suit pockets and also forging my moms signature on notes to get out of school early, and turns out years later they told me they knew all along and I have never been so embarrassed when your elderly parents are wagging their finger at you about something you did as a teenager. :S

my front garden needs weeding how about that? one way to earn the money stolen going off what Becky said at £1 an hour (which is slave labour granted) it won't take her 2 hours to do it lol

Ooooh that will certainly do... and if it won't take two hours, when she is finished, come have a look and tell her to start again as she missed a few :rofl:

you could just wait 10-20 yrs and tell her then.... that you knew she stole it, then she will live her adult life with some guilt and shame, as was done to me! I thought I was getting away with taking the change my dad had in his suit pockets and also forging my moms signature on notes to get out of school early, and turns out years later they told me they knew all along and I have never been so embarrassed when your elderly parents are wagging their finger at you about something you did as a teenager. :S

Oh my goodness :lolman: that made me laugh. Very clever :rofl:

Make her pay a suitable punishment this time. But also you need to tell her that if she steals again the consequence will be that you will make her work off her debt at a certain rate per hour and make the punishment harsher. In that way she knows in advance that cause and consequence will be even harsher and she won't have a leg to stand on when she moans about how unfair you are etc. Make sure that Marc is there when the conversation goes on as this shows he is backing you up, which I'm sure he would anyway, but she needs to see this as well so she can't moan about it being you. I feel for you to think that you have to put a lock on your door as you can't trust a member of your family, however working with this age group it's not uncommon. I often say teenagers leave the human race at this time. With girls it starts in about Year 9 and they return when they're in about Year 12.

O_o sorry to hear this Sarah. I stole from my mom ONCE and she threatened the police on me even had the phone and was dialing until I practically bawled my eyes out begging her not to. Taught me a darned good lesson. Maybe you can set up a cam and catch her doing it. Show her the vid and tell her the next step is either she starts to ask or the authorities will teach her some manners.