Choke Chain - Last resort?

Langy91

Hey guys and girls,

So this isnt really for my Husky, though he does pull a bit, but that's only to get to the really good sniff spots (which he doesn't reach because my strength > him!) our Terrier will pull like no other dog you've seen. It gets to the point where if you put a regular collar on him he'll pull until he chokes himself, and he'll carry on pulling and could go an entire walk like this. I've tried halti headcollar, harness and none work, hell i've even tried a shock collar and all that did was make him jump a little then he'd go all wimpy so we stopped using it (used it on storm for 2 weeks to work on his behaviour when walking and it barely tickled him, but he responded, don't use it anymore)

I've been told by my friend who's a dog trainer to start using a choke chain on both dogs, anyone got any tips etc on doing this? I try training him normally but my dad seems to think there's nothing wrong with him and my brothers+mum couldn't care less (typical) so it's pretty much just me out of 5 people training 2 dogs.

We've used a multitude of training tools to help Lyra learn to walk on a loose leash, in addition to plenty of positive reinforcement. Everyone has their opinion about what is appropriate, but a choke collar is a tool that can be very effective or ineffective depending on whether it's used correctly, just like anything else. I'm sure others will post much more detailed and eloquent information, but I do think it's important to realize that special leashes and collars are simply tools. They won't necessarily alter the undesirable behavior without getting at the root of it - ie, loose lead training, which I've found to be a continuous process. :)

For Lyra we have regular flat collars, a prong collar, and a Mendota lead. We use different tools depending on what we're trying to accomplish, although we weaned off the prong over time and she is usually now walked on a Flexi, bungee, or regular 6 foot leash and does great. One of the most effective things I've found with her is the different sounds we make. This gets her attention and can redirect behavior.

Before you make any decisions, talk to people, watch videos on how to properly use slip collars, etc. Every dog is different, and different training methods/tools work for different dogs. Good luck!

If there's no consistency in the household then I wouldn't expect much to work, however choke chains are too easily misused, and from the experience I have had, aren't very effective for pulling.

I would recommend trying some positive reinforcement training. Any trainer that immediately jumps to choke chains is not positive reinforcement. Yes, with some breeds that type of training can be effective (in millitary, police, etc.), however I don't believe that family dogs need to be taken to that level of negative reinforcement.

Then maybe moving onto prong collars with the help of a trainer. With prong collars they are self correcting, so the person on the leash should NEVER jerk or pull on them. They are a training collar, which means they are only used during training sessions. Only use standard nylon leashes with them and keep them short, don't allow the dog to seriously injure themselves by running to the end of the leash. You can also buy rubber ends for the prongs.

Suka has a martingale collar to stop him from 'jerk pulling' to get to different marking areas.

What I suggest, is that as soon as he starts to pull, "check" him by jerking the leash to the SIDE. (Make sure the leash is on the center ring.). It's very important to jerk it to the side so it doesn't damage his trachea.

You might have to check him HARD to start out, that's what I had to do.

I tried a check chain on Kira once in the hope it would stop her pulling, I had to pick her up and carry her home after 2 minutes as she was pulling like normal and i thought she was going to make herself pass out!

What sort of harnesses have you tried? have you tried one which leads from the front?

I havent tried one of those no :( I've tried the halti harness+headcollar and I have an ezdog harness which I use for when I go out cycling with him. Right now I just use a regular collar+halti leash or I have a short Leash. I gave up after awhile and would just tie the leash around my waist and let him do what he wants. It's not to the point where it physically exhausts me, I work in Racing so i'm used to 600kg horses trying to run off with me haha, so Storm is nothing, but i'd like it corrected still.

There really isn't any tool you can just put on your dog and hope it works to stop pulling. If it does, it is likely to only be for the short term. Tools need to be used in conjunction with training. If your friend is a good trainer they should be able to show you how to fit a tool correctly and then how to use to effectively.

I'd rather a well fitted martingale over a check chain as I find them more effective.

If you've not tried a front leading harness have a look at a walk your dog with love harness, they worked well on my guys but you do need to combine it with training for results to last

they are 100% money back guarenteed if you dont like it/it doesnt work

[MENTION=2703]Staceybob[/MENTION] sells them :)

you do need to find one thing and stick at it.....

postive reinforcement along with maybe a wydwl harness can help.....

but remember a tool is a tool and isnt a quick thing, you will need to put the work in on every walk..

go back to step one as a puppy and do heel training.... if he lunges you stop and turn around, you might not get very far the first few times but consistency will help

good luck

I've seen our trainer use one successfully and after 10 minutes not need it. I don't care for them. I actually ordered combo collars from lupine they snug up but won't choke. Makes me more comfortable pulling on Moro. I believe Nix has one for Skyla.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Hello :wave: have you tried when your Husky pulls, to just turn the other way with the leash and stop or walk the opposite direction? This method keeps them on their toes and lets them know that you know where you want to go and cues them in on watching where you want to walk instead of them freight training ahead-just thought I'd offer that technique to you, I know there are owners on here that do that, they either stop in place, or turn another direction.

Hey guys just a quick update.

Check collars arrived this morning and myself and my dad took the 2 dogs out for a lap around the park. Storm instantly knew what was up after 5-6 10-15step walks with me turning him left/right and after 2 laps of the park I put his regular collar back on and he was walking perfectly. When I say heel he heels, when I stop he stops by my shoulder and sits.

The Terrier is alot better also, he still pulls a little to get to good sniff spots/if he sees a bird or something but he isnt choking himself anymore. The check collar is actually alot more humane than his regular collar, which sounds weird, but on the regular he choked himself alot, on the check collar he didnt seem bothered by it at all.

I'll use the check collars for another week for 10-15minute sessions and i'll work my way out of using them completely and getting back to the regular collars. I haven't had to use any force with them at all just a gentle tug if they try to bolt off etc and they don't seem troubled by them at all, they seem pleasantly happy! I understand people say it's just a tool etc and it is, but it works. and I find it more humane than having to use all my force to yank him back to me when he's on a normal harness/collar.

^ Attika I had been doing that but it didn't do the trick :P I was doing that every walk for about 2 months but it didn't do much when I went on a normal walk he'd still pull like a train to find sniff spots/play with other dogs, he doesn't leave my side now, when we're at the play area (footpath, park) i'll put his regular collar/harness on + long leash and let him run around, then just use the check collar to walk him through town back home.

It seems you've had more progress than I have. Suka's been on his martingale collar for 3 years; I've never been able to 'wean' him off of it. He knows the difference and he acts accordingly!

I think I got lucky :P He was semi-decent at heeling beforehand but with the choker on It's alot easier to control him, "Heel" then a simple pull of the leash and he either slows down a little but carries on trotting along or he'll slow down and look at me