help! Skyla's pad (pic)

do i wait till i get the dog boot n see if that helps n give it time

or

do i ring the vets n see what they think , n if they want to see her see if they will let me pay on the 31st as i have NO money :(

heres a pic taken like 5 mins ago ,, she licked it just before i took the pic so looks quite red

help!!

post-95-135860585447_thumb.jpg

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Can you see any signs of an infection? From the pic I can see that the wound is still quite fresh looking but didn't someone say that pads heal from the inside, which would make sense?

Personally I would call the vets for both some advice and peace of mind. I would be surprised if they wanted to rush you in if Skylas not showing any signs of becoming dramatically unwell. When Bears stitches started to burst after spaying we called the emergency vet and they gave us advice and said to call our usual vet in the morning as it didn't sound too serious (that was one one long night, I can tell you!). Hope she's feeling better soon, hugs to you both ! X

When Gizmo had a cut on his paw, he would constantly lick it (didnt blame him!) which made it become infected. The second time he got a cut on his paw I used a head cone to stop him licking it so much and kept it clean with regular salt water washes which kept it clean and it healed up really well. I tried to bandage it but it lasted all of about 5 seconds until Gizmo worked out how to get it off!

I would rinse it with some salt water and give it a good clean and try your best to stop her licking it too much. Don't stop her doing it all together as it can help the healing process, just dont her go OTT with it and keep an eye on her.

All the best

When Gizmo had a cut on his paw, he would constantly lick it (didnt blame him!) which made it become infected. The second time he got a cut on his paw I used a head cone to stop him licking it so much and kept it clean with regular salt water washes which kept it clean and it healed up really well. I tried to bandage it but it lasted all of about 5 seconds until Gizmo worked out how to get it off!

I would rinse it with some salt water and give it a good clean and try your best to stop her licking it too much. Don't stop her doing it all together as it can help the healing process, just dont her go OTT with it and keep an eye on her.

All the best

did u still walk him? skyla is still being walked , but only for like 20mins a time n she only gets 2 walks a day n i try n keep her on the grass as much as possible

did u still walk him? skyla is still being walked ' date=' but only for like 20mins a time n i try n keep her on the grass as much as possible[/quote']

Yes I still walked him. I would clean his pad with the salt water when we got back :)

If your boot comes through, then I would recommend using that aswell on walks

Yes I still walked him. I would clean his pad with the salt water when we got back :)

If your boot comes through, then I would recommend using that aswell on walks

thanks :) im wrapping her paw up with a bandage n then taking it off when i get home and cleaning it so looks like im on the right track , how long did it take for him to heal?

While that's a bad cut, it looks like it's healing ( compared to the first picture ) I'll admit I don't know the "why" of this, but when we get a cut or scratch on normal skin, it scabs over and gradually heals. Cuts on pads don't, they will gradually heal - as I said earlier - from the inside out, it's gonna look raw till it eventually heals. And I agree, 1 to 2 weeks for a normal complete healing. (( Meaning by the time you could pay the vet, it should be all good ))

You sound like you're doing everything you can, keeping her off it and then keeping her on soft stuff ( grass / carpet ), keeping it clean and watching for the possibility of infection - other than a case of nerves, you're doing good!!

Do u know where I can get it from without going thru the vet?

Sent from my ST18i using Forum Runner

Go to your local people-pharmacy, it's a scrub surgeons use before surgery so it's not specific for animals ;)

It looks fine to me! And yes, looks like it will heal pretty quick!

Id keep it bandaged when she is moving around, especially on walks but then let the air get to it whilst she is sleeping or when she is just at home! Cleaning with sal****er and applying an antibacterial cream like savlon should help with the healing process. Don't put the savlon on too often though, id say a little bit once a day.

salt water LOL